On 4/29/2022 at 8:51 AM, clutchcity94 said:

Are homeless people still a problem in the area? Compared to 3-4 years ago.

I mean it certainly hasn't been transformed overnight, but every year you see fewer and fewer homeless people in the area, I think. "Problem"? I don't think I can say it was ever really that disruptive to me, except for maybe trying to get donuts at that Shipley or something. But no, in the immediate vicinity of Ion it's not so much of an issue now.

On 4/30/2022 at 10:56 AM, freundb said:

The prototyping lab sounds cool. I wish I could come take the tour.

I just wandered in there a couple weeks ago and someone was happy to give me a tour, you may be able to do the same. It's on the first floor off the public area, so you shouldn't have any problem getting to it.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Brooklyn173 said:

I saw a bunch of Ion logo construction fencing going around the parking lot between Stuff'd and the Wheeler Light Rail station. I didn't get a pic. Is anything close to happening there?

My guess is it's just similar fencing they've placed on their other owned lots for branding the district.  This site is slated for a much later phase with other blocks planned to be developed much sooner ie the lot across the outdoor plaza and the existing tenant parking lot.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Fortune said:

I am happy they are painting that yellow apartment building another color. 

Shall we guess?
Hmm... not just blue, it's not turquoise. It's not lapis.
Is it actually cerulean?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/14/2022 at 2:07 PM, Fortune said:

I am happy they are painting that yellow apartment building another color. 

to call that building yellow is an insult to the color yellow.

it's a shabby mustard, at best.

and as far as reddit goes, r/whatcouldgowrong is really a great opportunity to watch people do stupid things to themselves and have a good laugh. I consider it the best that reddit has to offer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I always find it interesting how places start changing to look better only when something nicer comes along and calls them out aesthetically. It's pretty annoying and tells you the developer doesn't care until they have to. 

to me, it says that they hired someone's brother's girlfriend who thinks she is an interior/exterior designer, but who has no sense of color.

I lived in an apartment building way out west that was all mustard yellow and coffee stain brown. It hurt the eyes.

• Haha 6

16 minutes ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

to me, it says that they hired someone's brother's girlfriend who thinks she is an interior/exterior designer, but who has no sense of color.

I lived in an apartment building way out west that was all mustard yellow and coffee stain brown. It hurt the eyes.

Yep neutrals and earthy tones are way easier on the eyes, along with green. A dark forest green is always nice and versatile. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Yep neutrals and earthy tones are way easier on the eyes, along with green. A dark forest green is always nice and versatile. 

Same color palette they use in prisons and Catholic schools to help keep everyone calm.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

Not everyone forgetting how the "Under the Tuscan Sun" design plagued our communities. 1200 Post Oak, Uptown Park, Granduca, Montebello, The Dominion, Villa D'Este, The Mercer, The 610 Sheraton (to an extent), and of course, the Ventana.

• Like 8

15 hours ago, editor said:

Same color palette they use in prisons and Catholic schools to help keep everyone calm.

Strake Jesuit, St. Thomas, etc. don't seem like such bad places, esp. compared to the public schools around them. Clamor of families trying to get in.

2 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

Not everyone forgetting how the "Under the Tuscan Sun" design plagued our communities. 1200 Post Oak, Uptown Park, Granduca, Montebello, The Dominion, Villa D'Este, The Mercer, The 610 Sheraton (to an extent), and of course, the Ventana.

At least Houston didn't end up with orange buildings, as happened in Irving, Texas, a few years back...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

This doesn't even look like the same place! And I love that now you can actually see the bay windows without your eyes throwing up at the sight of that turd yellow. Beautiful. May the power of neutral colors compel you 

This is one of the most drastic improvements brought about by covering a dingy yellow paint job since the University of Houston - Downtown (formerly the Merchants and Manufacturers) Building renovation a few years ago.

• Like 7

In my opinion, the yellow turd building has suffered a lot of what I really hate about EIFS stucco. It's just not long-term durable. It seems prone to moisture issues and staining. It looks great for about 5-8 years, and then after that it just looks cheap and tired.

Also, bold colored paint and stucco will bleach in the Texas sun. Unless you're planning on repainting every five years, neutral colors will go farther before it starts looking dingy.

I'm happy to see new paint on the place. I hope they're using a good sealer undercoat on that, otherwise that moisture staining will just bleed through. 

Edited by aachor