17 minutes ago, Amlaham said:

Isn't there going to be a live wall on the garage? (garden on the sides of the garage)

Its on all sides, I thought, based on the renderings. That's what I assumed the small holes were for.

Re: Methodist joining the Ion, two things. First, I think its what we'll see from the giants around town. Pick up a small footprint there so you can tap in when you want to and its a selling point for attracting fellows, new employees, and such. Second, to me its noteworthy in the fact that it shows there will be some synergy between what TMC is trying to build and the Ion. TMC has been so closed off to the commercial, entrepreneurial side of things for so long that its kind of big that Methodist is beginning to engage this way.

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 5/19/2022 at 9:25 PM, aachor said:

In my opinion, the yellow turd building has suffered a lot of what I really hate about EIFS stucco. It's just not long-term durable. It seems prone to moisture issues and staining. It looks great for about 5-8 years, and then after that it just looks cheap and tired.

Also, bold colored paint and stucco will bleach in the Texas sun. Unless you're planning on repainting every five years, neutral colors will go farther before it starts looking dingy.

I'm happy to see new paint on the place. I hope they're using a good sealer undercoat on that, otherwise that moisture staining will just bleed through. 

Not to bring this building back up, but they're now painting the roof tiles dark green.

On 8/23/2022 at 7:23 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Are there plans for a food hall at the Ion or part of the Ion District? Or were there plans for one? 

I saw signage for Norcity in the Ion format when driving down Fannin today. It’s the northernmost lot in the district, across the street to the north of Fannin Square. Supposed to be a solar-powered food park per the signage.

I’ll try to grab a photo on a less rainy day.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 8/29/2022 at 5:15 PM, houstontexasjack said:

I saw signage for Norcity in the Ion format when driving down Fannin today. It’s the northernmost lot in the district, across the street to the north of Fannin Square. Supposed to be a solar-powered food park per the signage.

I’ll try to grab a photo on a less rainy day.

Neat! Thanks for confirming!  So, this is part of the outdoor area? Or will it be part of the Sears Civic Plaza/ Central Plaza or Ion Plaza?

The design and layout for the former Conservatory location downtown and their Railway Heights Market at Railway Heights have not disappointed. So, I'm looking forward to viewing proposed renderings for Norcity Container Hall whenever it becomes available. 

From the description on the Nomad Opportunity Zone site, Norcity Container Hall sounds like it will be similar to Company of Nomads' Railway Heights Market than Conservatory. 

iKlnTiQ.jpg

ITCAKG8.jpg

wVCNfFN.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Neat! Thanks for confirming!  So, this is part of the outdoor area? Or will it be part of the Sears Civic Plaza/ Central Plaza or Ion Plaza?

The design and layout for the former Conservatory location downtown and their Railway Heights Market at Railway Heights have not disappointed. So, I'm looking forward to viewing proposed renderings for Norcity Container Hall whenever it becomes available. 

From the description on the Nomad Opportunity Zone site, Norcity Container Hall sounds like it will be similar to Company of Nomads' Railway Heights Market than Conservatory. 

wVCNfFN.jpg

The part of the site marked “A”—“outdoor activation coming soon.”

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 12:31 PM, JBTX said:

On 2/11/2021 at 7:14 PM, hindesky said:

The Ion announces three restaurants
for its Midtown innovation hub

Black-owned Late August and Stuff'd Wings will be among the culinary offerings at The Ion and its innovation district campus

Black chefs and operators will figure prominently in culinary offerings planned for The Ion and the innovation district redevelopment of the former Sears in Midtown.

The Ion announced three restaurant projects Thursday, including Late August, a new concept from chefs Chris Williams of Lucille’s and his James Beard Award semifinalist partner chef Dawn Burrell, and a brick-and-mortar location for Third Ward food truck Stuff’d Wings. Both are Black-owned businesses.

Late August, one of the culinary and lifestyle projects under the recently launched Lucille’s Hospitality Group, will feature an Afro-Asian menu from Burrell, serving lunch, dinner and brunch. The restaurant’s name is inspired by Sears whose catalog was traditionally released in late August prior to the holiday shopping season.

https://preview.houstonchronicle.com/dining/the-ion-announces-three-restaurants-for-its-15943377

When Late August was announced last year, a rendering for the restaurant was included in the reports. However, I don't see it posted in the forum:

FMl2zyJ.jpg

Below is another rendering of Late August that hasn't been included in articles or on Late August's social media. This is from Prism Renderings. It's also included on Late August's recently launched website.

Late August is opening later this year in the Ion at 4201 Main St, Ste 120.

https://www.prismrenderings.com/projects/late-august/

http://lateaugusthtx.com/

z6ktt6L.jpg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, MrFubbles said:

image.png.001ef1d8683d92536fc9e95705fbacdd.png

I haven't read much on this little park over 59, is this assuming the NHHIP re-routing plans go through?

Yes. Caps planned over portions of 69 (which is a “nice” term for the freeway).

Also, Norcity has a primitive website for this food park:

https://www.norcity.io

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, houstontexasjack said:

Also, Norcity has a primitive website for this food park:

https://www.norcity.io

Great find! Thanks!

This is in the metadata on Norcity's website:

Norcity | Solar Powered Food Park at the Ion | Houston

The modular containers shown on the site are from some place else. Maybe once the site is completed, there will be a mock up or two. 

Thanks again for sharing this. And when you can, could you please snap a photo of the signage you saw the other day? 

hmmm, first i think, that's nice.  the generators at food trucks are so noisy.  seems like a great idea provide solar power so that spending time at this food park will be more pleasant.  but then i stop and wonder--they're going to build out all of this solar and battery infrastructure.  wouldn't it make more sense to just supply power from the electric grid.  would require far less of an upfront investment.  you could source 100% of the electricity from renewable sources.  i would argue that not buying the new panels and batteries makes it a more environmentally mindful option.  maybe use some of the money you save to feed the homeless population in this area.  but a power line it doesn't "look" like the more environmentally mindful option...

...i don't know that i would call this innovation.