My understanding is that the plan is to have most of the buildings privately developed under the project urban design guidelines. And last I saw of that, the guidelines are largely aimed at the sidewalk environment (the first 3 floors or so of the building). I don't believe that there are minimum or maximum height requirements (but I'm not sure about that).

And I'm very confident that the endowment will not be throwing around a lot more money for Ion. There has been a significant start up investment and the project will eventually have to start rewarding the University.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 8:10 PM, Amlaham said:

I think its for their green wall, it would be crazy if it was on the entire structure with plants growing from them 

I might forgive them for building a mammoth parking garage, if they did.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2022 at 8:22 AM, 004n063 said:

Good to hear! This is something the city generally lacks. Side street businesses are the best.

Yep, in all the cities I've visited all of them felt like villages with big buildings. Houston seems to finally be trending towards a more intimate, urban landscape that feels more tightly knit and cohesive. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Yep, in all the cities I've visited all of them felt like villages with big buildings. Houston seems to finally be trending towards a more intimate, urban landscape that feels more tightly knit and cohesive. 

What's interesting is, when I first starting going back to Houston (as often as I possibly could) after (unwillingly) moving to Alamo Town, it struck me how much denser and "tighter" Houston feels than SA. Not just downtown, but all over the Inner Loop. It first really struck me on Waugh, driving from Memorial to my friends' place in Montrose.

ETA:Let me add that Downtown San Antonio is a totally different story. 

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

What's interesting is, when I first starting going back to Houston (as often as I possibly could) after (unwillingly) moving to Alamo Town, it struck me how much denser and "tighter" Houston feels than SA. Not just downtown, but all over the Inner Loop. It first really struck me on Waugh, driving from Memorial to my friends' place in Montrose.

ETA:Let me add that Downtown San Antonio is a totally different story. 

Heck yeah for sure! A buddy from Miami came to visit and he said the same thing. He was like "Man you guys really pack it in here." And when he said that I guess I just didn't realize how dense we actually are. 

Edited by j_cuevas713

3 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Heck yeah for sure! A buddy from Miami came to visit and he said the same thing. He was like "Man you guys really pack it in here." And when he said that I guess I just didn't realize how dense we actually are. 

We just need a little more organization and we'll be good!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kennyc05 said:

We just need a little more organization and we'll be good!

And maybe a few sidewalks... without parked cars blocking them... that continue without just disappearing. And no ditches along the street like Rice Military would be an improvement. 

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy
  • Like 4

On 11/21/2022 at 3:10 PM, MidCenturyMoldy said:

And maybe a few sidewalks... without parked cars blocking them... that continue without just disappearing. And no ditches along the street like Rice Military would be an improvement. 

Yeah eventually we'll see those areas connected with proper drainage, etc. The city wants to put a bond proposal in front of voters to take care of issues like that and all city infrastructure so we don't have to wait for funding before another street is rebuilt. City Council talked about it at the last Sidewalk Summit. Good things are happening and continuing to happen. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 4