1 hour ago, samagon said:

this would be a great space to follow a Dutch design, basically, build a road hump that is as wide and long as the crossing area, paint it a special color. basically at that point it sends a message that the car is entering a walking space…………

here's a video with a good explanation:

I am sharing this video/concept with neighbors in Museum Park an idea of what might be done to slow traffic near the Museums along Binz. Thank you for sharing @samagon.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, samagon said:

this would be a great space to follow a Dutch design, basically, build a road hump that is as wide and long as the crossing area, paint it a special color. basically at that point it sends a message that the car is entering a walking space, rather than the pedestrian is crossing a street.

there's an example in Houston already:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7187582,-95.3379159,3a,75y,272.24h,81.41t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sFVDikz7D6SzS_sv7CGpNIA!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DFVDikz7D6SzS_sv7CGpNIA%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D231.04692%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

Can we get a couple of those on 11th? I want to see some more heads explode😂

• Haha 6

On 2/13/2023 at 1:30 PM, X.R. said:

They gotta do better with the crosswalk from the Ion to the parking lot. I have seen a lot of frustrated drivers either blow the blinking red light if the person isn't moving fast enough or they aggressively edge into the crosswalk. People can be such assholes.

It seems like their solution so far is to put cones in the crosswalk area and that has helped. I'm hoping there is a more permanent solution coming because that crosswalk is tough.

I saw this last night.  The crosswalk needs help.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I think a small part of it is that the lights aren't very visible.  Maybe they're too small.  Maybe they're positioned so that you can't see them from the curb lanes because of the trees.  But the only reason I noticed them was because the traffic was stopped.

There also seems to be a lot of confusion about who should go and when.  People in cars were stopping and waiting for people to cross, then going because the office workers on the sidewalk were just standing there. 

The rest of us were stopped farther back, and could see when the lights were on and when they were not.  But most of the drivers didn't stop at the stop line (the one that crosses the lanes perpendicularly), but instead at the zebra lines.  This is something I see a lot of in suburban tourists downtown.  They don't know where they're supposed to stop at a red light with a crosswalk, and then they end up not being able to see the light and have to crane their necks.

The immediate solution is to put an off-duty cop in the middle of the crosswalk to give some hand signals to the drivers.

The short-term solution is to upgrade the pedestrian crossing from flashing lights to a red/green light, like on Fannin at the Hermann Park Red Line station.

The long-term solution is to put buildings where those surface parking lots are, so that all of these young, healthy people will walk the extra 50 feet to the crosswalk at the corner.  But my guess is that if buildings do go up on those lots, they will have parking at the bottom, and will be equipped with a pedestrian bridge, which is not great for the neighborhood.

17 hours ago, samagon said:

this would be a great space to follow a Dutch design, basically, build a road hump that is as wide and long as the crossing area, paint it a special color. basically at that point it sends a message that the car is entering a walking space, rather than the pedestrian is crossing a street.

there's an example in Houston already:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7187582,-95.3379159,3a,75y,272.24h,81.41t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sFVDikz7D6SzS_sv7CGpNIA!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DFVDikz7D6SzS_sv7CGpNIA%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D231.04692%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

Interesting that these are being called "Dutch" design.  I've seen these for half a century in other cities.  They were called "Crossing tables."  All the benefits of a speed bump, but less jarring, and handy for pedestrians.

What we used to call a "Dutch crossing" was the one where the center refuge isn't straight through.  Pedestrians have to turn left or right a bit, which helps make pedestrians more aware of the traffic coming at them because they had to turn their heads/bodies in the direction of approaching traffic.  Here's an illustration of something similar from New Zealand, but the ones I'm familiar with have 90° turns for the pedestrians:

pedestrian-crossing-traffic-island.jpg

It's similar to rubber pedestrian islands, where the middle is a different width, forcing people to look up from their phones.

The idea is like the Dutch reach, which makes drivers turn their heads to notice oncoming bicycles.  This is actually the law in some places.

• Like 2

I believe someone once posted a video on here about how large streets/ far buildings set backs increase the likelihood of speedy drivers and decreases the comfort for pedestrians. This area has both, its 5 lanes wide and pretty much surrounded by empty lots/ parking lots. For instance, I don't see this as a problem along Bagby. I think the least they could do is dedicate one lane to street parking along Fannin (I know its already like that in certain parts but its not like that on this portion)? There's always going to be a need for parking, but I really don't see a reason for a 5 lane street in midtown, especially since its never THAT backed up. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Amlaham said:

I believe someone once posted a video on here about how large streets/ far buildings set backs increase the likelihood of speedy drivers and decreases the comfort for pedestrians. This area has both, its 5 lanes wide and pretty much surrounded by empty lots/ parking lots. For instance, I don't see this as a problem along Bagby. I think the least they could do is dedicate one lane to street parking along Fannin (I know its already like that in certain parts but its not like that on this portion)? There's always going to be a need for parking, but I really don't see a reason for a 5 lane street in midtown, especially since its never THAT backed up. 

I agree. I'd say Smith, Louisiana, Travis and Fannin all need to be reduced to 2 lanes.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, editor said:

But my guess is that if buildings do go up on those lots, they will have parking at the bottom, and will be equipped with a pedestrian bridge, which is not great for the neighborhood.

I thought the parking garage is planned to handle all parking for the area once complete.

8 hours ago, editor said:

But my guess is that if buildings do go up on those lots, they will have parking at the bottom, and will be equipped with a pedestrian bridge, which is not great for the neighborhood.

2 hours ago, BeerNut said:

I thought the parking garage is planned to handle all parking for the area once complete.

You are correct, BeerNut.  There is pretty much zero chance that Editor's "guess" will turn out to be accurate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Amlaham said:

Don't let the suburb commuters see this, they'll want to give us their opinion on the neighborhood/ the city they don't even live in. 

these streets are already (during peak traffic hours) 3 lanes, there's the right lane which is dedicated to busses (and right hand turns) at all times, then the next most right hand lane is for carpools between certain hours. ask if anyone adheres to those posted rules though.

12 hours ago, editor said:

Interesting that these are being called "Dutch" design.  I've seen these for half a century in other cities.  They were called "Crossing tables."  All the benefits of a speed bump, but less jarring, and handy for pedestrians.

What we used to call a "Dutch crossing" was the one where the center refuge isn't straight through.  Pedestrians have to turn left or right a bit, which helps make pedestrians more aware of the traffic coming at them because they had to turn their heads/bodies in the direction of approaching traffic.  Here's an illustration of something similar from New Zealand, but the ones I'm familiar with have 90° turns for the pedestrians:

pedestrian-crossing-traffic-island.jpg

It's similar to rubber pedestrian islands, where the middle is a different width, forcing people to look up from their phones.

The idea is like the Dutch reach, which makes drivers turn their heads to notice oncoming bicycles.  This is actually the law in some places.

I think the person you're responding to is conflating two concepts. What is being described here is, as you noted, just a standard crossing table, which isn't particularly Dutch.

What is more Dutch is the subject of the video they linked: continuous sidewalks. These are when the sidewalks are fully continuous (instead of dipping down to street level). Similar, but not exactly the same as a crossing table that's perpendicular to the sidewalk.

18 hours ago, samagon said:

these streets are already (during peak traffic hours) 3 lanes, there's the right lane which is dedicated to busses (and right hand turns) at all times, then the next most right hand lane is for carpools between certain hours. ask if anyone adheres to those posted rules though.

Yeah I hear you, but my thing is whether those lanes are for carpools or turning right, they're still in use by cars. The wide road makes it more comfortable for them to speed and even miss a flickering light. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 2:24 PM, hindesky said:

Looks like 3 of the sides of the parking garage will have planter boxes and not the north side which will probably never get any sun. South side has an awning too. Noticed the mock up with different colors of brick on it. I wonder if they changed their minds on the colors

Mock up across the street with the multicolored brick.

2fx0LQR.jpg

Mockup walls aren't just for contractors, they are for architects as well. My guess would be they did part of this mockup as both a proof of concept and a study for the plants, and colors in tandem with daylight and shadow.

• Like 6

On 2/15/2023 at 4:24 PM, Houston19514 said:

FWIW, the garage will have approx 1,585 spaces:

"The garage is designed to be a district-wide, centralized parking facility for what will eventually be a complex encompassing more than 15 city blocks.

“ION Garage is going to force people to be pedestrians in this area,” said Mary Lou Henry of Vernon G. Henry & Associates. “As opposed to having parking at each building, people will be parking at this garage and walking to their particular destinations, so we are going to add a lot to the pedestrian activity in this area.”

Also, further regarding the above-discussed crosswalk and posters' predictions regarding its future.  The master plan has the crosswalk connecting the pedestrian promenade on two sides of Fannin.  No buildings (whether parking garages or otherwise) will be built at this spot on either side of the street.

R.I.P. Mary Lou. She was a legend.

• Like 1

Ion building tenants as of March 2023:

Microsoft

chevron Technology Ventures

OpenStax Publishing

Transwestern

ARA Partners

Rice University

Carbon Clean

Cognite

Houston Methodist

Supposively, Schlumberger planned on opening a lab there but haven’t seen them as a listed tennant

• Like 6