On 11/3/2021 at 4:29 PM, CREguy13 said:

Hoping this is simply quick politics to have gone on record for delaying vote... I recently started working out of the Ion and it is bustling with energy from VCs, startups, several large energy companies, highly programmed networking and academic events, tons of visitors, etc.  Also Greentown Labs is near or at capacity and there is spillover from there to here already taking place...  the moment these investments are approved, Phase I is likely ready to be announced.  

Could be wrong, but don't think I am... hopefully this is only a short pause.  Serious momentum underway.

That is really awesome to hear! I’m glad this development (and Greentown) are picking up steam.

It makes me so happy because my mom and I went to that Sears a lot- she loved that building and even though it was sketch city around there sometimes, it was a cool building with a neat history. I’d love to take my mom and show her sometime- maybe when Late August opens! 😁 And when I was a student at HCC Main many moons ago (lol), I frequented that Fiesta when I wanted a semi-healthy lunch with fruit/veg and not school vending machine trash-tier stuff. 

anyway, I love seeing that Sears building is getting a new lease on life, and I’m really glad it’s gaining momentum and getting visitors/tenants/etc.

I can’t wait to see the next phases of the project- I know there have been some renders, but does anyone know an approximate timeframe for some of the next buildouts? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BEES?! said:

It makes me so happy because my mom and I went to that Sears a lot- she loved that building and even though it was sketch city around there sometimes, it was a cool building with a neat history.

You can still see the old Sears days on Apple Maps:

Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 7.44.31 AM.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 11/3/2021 at 3:21 PM, Brooklyn173 said:

Community Benefits Agreement on hold ...

Houston City Council delays vote on Ion investments amid opposition

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/houston/article/Houston-council-delays-vote-on-Ion-investments-16588655.php

I was reading through some of the comments from the local groups who are celebrating this, and there may be some value in having Rice reallocate some legal capital to either making a separate agreement with the local groups or giving them a larger say in the re-investment into the area that Rice promises to make. Based on the comments online and whats been published, alot of people are passionate about this and if they can get council members to pause like this then maybe its worth listening, dunno.

Buuuuuuut that is all contingent upon them getting their legal situation together. For example, Greentown Labs had quite a few medium to large law firms around town donate time to them in the startup phase here in Houston (reviewing and negotiating contracts, helping with intellectual properties, formation, ect). The local coalition basically needs to go and do the same, see if some decent sized firms in town, or nationally, wouldn't mind helping them out with negotiations and the contracting, tell them whats reasonable and whats not in their experience, etc. I cannot imagine laypersons, or a small outfit, doing this by themselves. That isn't smart, and it could cause more harm than good if they are passing up on reasonable opportunities that Rice offers for things that no real estate/govt attorney would consider possible. 

edit: For example, Jane from Baker Botts saying "All they want is x,y, and z and Rice should be able to accommodate this" is so much easier to gain traction on than whatever is happening now.

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, X.R. said:

I was reading through some of the comments from the local groups who are celebrating this, and there may be some value in having Rice reallocate some legal capital to either making a separate agreement with the local groups or giving them a larger say in the re-investment into the area that Rice promises to make. Based on the comments online and whats been published, alot of people are passionate about this and if they can get council members to pause like this then maybe its worth listening, dunno.

Buuuuuuut that is all contingent upon them getting their legal situation together. For example, Greentown Labs had quite a few medium to large law firms around town donate time to them in the startup phase here in Houston (reviewing and negotiating contracts, helping with intellectual properties, formation, ect). The local coalition basically needs to go and do the same, see if some decent sized firms in town, or nationally, wouldn't mind helping them out with negotiations and the contracting, tell them whats reasonable and whats not in their experience, etc. I cannot imagine laypersons, or a small outfit, doing this by themselves. That isn't smart, and it could cause more harm than good if they are passing up on reasonable opportunities that Rice offers for things that no real estate/govt attorney would consider possible. 

edit: For example, Jane from Baker Botts saying "All they want is x,y, and z and Rice should be able to accommodate this" is so much easier to gain traction on than whatever is happening now.

As I recall, the HCEDD was offered an eye-popping 4 positions on that council that worked on the agreement and declined. I’d think serious counsel would’ve told them what a big offer that actually was.

I wrote to Councilwoman Shabazz-Evans today to express my support for the proposed agreement. 

Edit: @BeerNut posted a letter from Rice last November indicating Rice offered 4 of 15 spots on the CBA Working Group to the HCEDD. 

Edited by houstontexasjack
  • Like 3

On 11/5/2021 at 5:17 PM, houstontexasjack said:

As I recall, the HCEDD was offered an eye-popping 4 positions on that council that worked on the agreement and declined. I’d think serious counsel would’ve told them what a big offer that actually was.

I wrote to Councilwoman Shabazz-Evans today to express my support for the proposed agreement. 

Edit: @BeerNut posted a letter from Rice last November indicating Rice offered 4 of 15 spots on the CBA Working Group to the HCEDD. 

Exactly. HCEDD demanded a whopping 8 positions on the working group. That would have given them majority control. No way that was going to fly.

• Like 2

Rice, city agree on $15M pact to invest in community around Ion, over organizers' opposition

Dylan McGuinnessStaff writer
Nov. 10, 2021Updated: Nov. 10, 2021 10:59 a.m.

Rice Management Co. will spend $15.3 million on affordable housing development, minority and women job training and capital investments, and other initiatives in the community surrounding its Ion development, as part of a deal the city approved Wednesday.

City Council voted 14-3 to ratify the deal. Councilmembers Carolyn Evans-Shabazz, a Third Ward native, Tiffany Thomas and Letitia Plummer voted against the deal.

Mayor Sylvester Turner said the deal reflected his intention that the Ion open its opportunities to the entire city.

“This will be a game changer on so many fronts,” Turner said. “It’s not perfect, but I’ve also learned that you don’t sacrifice the good for the perfect and wind up with nothing.”

The council’s approval came over the opposition of community organizerswho wanted to negotiate their own deal directly with Rice, which is customary in “community benefits agreements,” as the city and Rice have called this deal.

Those agreements are reached between developers and community stakeholders to try to offset risks of displacement and gentrification and ensure the surrounding neighborhood stands to gain from the development. Organizers have been calling for a community benefits agreement with Rice to protect Third Ward, a historically Black community a few blocks from the innovation hub on South Main Street, since its groundbreaking more than two years ago.

“I fully support the Ion, but I believe CBAs should be between the developer and the impacted community,” said Evans-Shabazz, whose District D includes Third Ward.

In this case, Rice Management Co. negotiated an agreement with the city, not a community coalition, to spend $15.3 million on a slate of community-minded initiatives. Many of the recommendations for those measures stemmed from a 13-person working group of community members and other economic stakeholders named by Rice.

The Houston Coalition for Equitable Development without Displacement, the primary group behind the effort to negotiate a deal directly with Rice, produced its own framework for a pact. That platform incorporates many plans in the mayor’s Complete Communities program, a neighborhood revitalization effort that includes Third Ward.

Those organizers repeatedly asked the city at least to change the name of the deal, or else reject it and instruct Rice to negotiate with the coalition. They also have asked for an impact study on how the development will affect Third Ward. Group members have emphasized they are not opposed to the Ion; they just want to ensure current neighborhood residents benefit from it.

“The shininess of the project cannot take away from what the communities need,” Plummer said. “People who have lived there have to be able to stay there if they want.”

Rice, which has a $6.3 billion endowment and has spent $100 million on the Ion, offered the community organizers four seats on its working group, but the coalition insisted that all eight of its members be included and the university drop the “community benefits agreement” moniker, since it was not being negotiated directly with the community. The work went on without them.

The deal approved Wednesday includes a $5 million investment fund for minorities and women in tech, $4.5 million for affordable housing developers, and $2 million in technology sector job training, among other initiatives.

Six councilmembers moved to delay a vote on the deal last week. Three of them — Tarsha Jackson, Ed Pollard and Martha Castex-Tatum — voted to approve it Wednesday.

Jackson worked on CBAs as an organizer before her election and previously said she would oppose this deal. She ultimately voted in favor of it, she said, because she wants to see the model replicated at developments in her District B.

“In the end, this agreement will benefit the community,” Jackson said.

Castex-Tatum, who chairs the council’s economic development committee, said the deal would be a model for future agreements.

“I can’t say no to this, because it may not be perfect, but it is really good,” Castex-Tatum.

This article will be updated.

dylan.mcguinness@chron.com

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/houston/article/Rice-city-agree-on-15M-pact-to-invest-in-16609456.php

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, hindesky said:

Rice, city agree on $15M pact to invest in community around Ion, over organizers' opposition

Dylan McGuinnessStaff writer
Nov. 10, 2021Updated: Nov. 10, 2021 10:59 a.m.

Rice Management Co. will spend $15.3 million on affordable housing development, minority and women job training and capital investments, and other initiatives in the community surrounding its Ion development, as part of a deal the city approved Wednesday.

City Council voted 14-3 to ratify the deal. Councilmembers Carolyn Evans-Shabazz, a Third Ward native, Tiffany Thomas and Letitia Plummer voted against the deal.

Mayor Sylvester Turner said the deal reflected his intention that the Ion open its opportunities to the entire city.

“This will be a game changer on so many fronts,” Turner said. “It’s not perfect, but I’ve also learned that you don’t sacrifice the good for the perfect and wind up with nothing.”

The council’s approval came over the opposition of community organizerswho wanted to negotiate their own deal directly with Rice, which is customary in “community benefits agreements,” as the city and Rice have called this deal.

Those agreements are reached between developers and community stakeholders to try to offset risks of displacement and gentrification and ensure the surrounding neighborhood stands to gain from the development. Organizers have been calling for a community benefits agreement with Rice to protect Third Ward, a historically Black community a few blocks from the innovation hub on South Main Street, since its groundbreaking more than two years ago.

“I fully support the Ion, but I believe CBAs should be between the developer and the impacted community,” said Evans-Shabazz, whose District D includes Third Ward.

In this case, Rice Management Co. negotiated an agreement with the city, not a community coalition, to spend $15.3 million on a slate of community-minded initiatives. Many of the recommendations for those measures stemmed from a 13-person working group of community members and other economic stakeholders named by Rice.

The Houston Coalition for Equitable Development without Displacement, the primary group behind the effort to negotiate a deal directly with Rice, produced its own framework for a pact. That platform incorporates many plans in the mayor’s Complete Communities program, a neighborhood revitalization effort that includes Third Ward.

Those organizers repeatedly asked the city at least to change the name of the deal, or else reject it and instruct Rice to negotiate with the coalition. They also have asked for an impact study on how the development will affect Third Ward. Group members have emphasized they are not opposed to the Ion; they just want to ensure current neighborhood residents benefit from it.

“The shininess of the project cannot take away from what the communities need,” Plummer said. “People who have lived there have to be able to stay there if they want.”

Rice, which has a $6.3 billion endowment and has spent $100 million on the Ion, offered the community organizers four seats on its working group, but the coalition insisted that all eight of its members be included and the university drop the “community benefits agreement” moniker, since it was not being negotiated directly with the community. The work went on without them.

The deal approved Wednesday includes a $5 million investment fund for minorities and women in tech, $4.5 million for affordable housing developers, and $2 million in technology sector job training, among other initiatives.

Six councilmembers moved to delay a vote on the deal last week. Three of them — Tarsha Jackson, Ed Pollard and Martha Castex-Tatum — voted to approve it Wednesday.

Jackson worked on CBAs as an organizer before her election and previously said she would oppose this deal. She ultimately voted in favor of it, she said, because she wants to see the model replicated at developments in her District B.

“In the end, this agreement will benefit the community,” Jackson said.

Castex-Tatum, who chairs the council’s economic development committee, said the deal would be a model for future agreements.

“I can’t say no to this, because it may not be perfect, but it is really good,” Castex-Tatum.

This article will be updated.

dylan.mcguinness@chron.com

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/houston/article/Rice-city-agree-on-15M-pact-to-invest-in-16609456.php

In today's news people hold gun to someone's head demanding cash, or they will shot gun. Person with gun pointed at head hands over money to person with gun. More at 11.

• Haha 5

23 minutes ago, Luminare said:

In today's news people hold gun to someone's head demanding cash, or they will shot gun. Person with gun pointed at head hands over money to person with gun. More at 11.

Thank god the exorsion was less than expected...  I would love to see what Evans-Shabazz has donated to the district after so much time in power.

So I guess every large development is going to be challenged by neighborhood groups for money or special perks from now on. I'm sorry but I just don't understand how this has anything to do with Rice University and the third ward. Why does Rice owe anyone anything. They are improving a dead zone that had no one living in it and now they are being squeezed. 

I just don't get it.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, iah77 said:

Thank god the exorsion was less than expected...  I would love to see what Evans-Shabazz has donated to the district after so much time in power.

Well it won't be much of a shocker that more than likely this money will just disappear afterwards and never be used for its intended purpose. Then again that's never the point with actions such as this.

14 minutes ago, bobruss said:

So I guess every large development is going to be challenged by neighborhood groups for money or special perks from now on. I'm sorry but I just don't understand how this has anything to do with Rice University and the third ward. Why does Rice owe anyone anything. They are improving a dead zone that had no one living in it and now they are being squeezed. 

I just don't get it.

Welcome to the world of Social Justice, where nothing makes sense, and your appeasement to it ultimately means nothing because nothing you do will ever satisfy.....except for all your money, reputation, and authority...maybe.

DhXqflv.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

Well it won't be much of a shocker that more than likely this money will just disappear afterwards and never be used for its intended purpose. Then again that's never the point with actions such as this.

Welcome to the world of Social Justice, where nothing makes sense, and your appeasement to it ultimately means nothing because nothing you do will ever satisfy.....except for all your money, reputation, and authority...maybe.

DhXqflv.png

This is a dumb sentence and you know it's a dumb sentence

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Ion District In Midtown
On 11/10/2021 at 12:38 PM, Luminare said:

DhXqflv.png

More like welcome to the modern world of politics where each side takes a hardline stance and refuses to negotiate and compromise. Started with Newt in the 90s and is really peaking now. It is either not far right enough or not progressive enough. Meanwhile, the majority on the bell curve in the middle get ignored or screwed.

I hope this full development happens but after Caydon made promises and backed out, I will wait for groundbreaking before I get my hopes up.

• Like 3

Wait, based on those renderings, I'm guessing the old Fiesta is gonna get raised to the ground? Or something is at least going on top of it? If so, the minimalist improvements makes sense. Plus, the chicken place that took over shipley's old location doesn't look so out of place with its outdoor patio and stuff if Ion District will put up buildings behind it.

Transformational is thrown around alot, but this is at least something very, very unique. Something we haven't seen before in the H. The renderings also highlights that the city/metro need to do something with that empty lot by Wheeler. If they don't want to spend any money, just make it a food truck park or something, easy cash flow for the city, gives people opportunity for successful business. I dunno, but if more stuff is coming, that empty lot is going to look weird.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, X.R. said:

Wait, based on those renderings, I'm guessing the old Fiesta is gonna get raised to the ground? Or something is at least going on top of it? If so, the minimalist improvements makes sense. Plus, the chicken place that took over shipley's old location doesn't look so out of place with its outdoor patio and stuff if Ion District will put up buildings behind it.

Transformational is thrown around alot, but this is at least something very, very unique. Something we haven't seen before in the H. The renderings also highlights that the city/metro need to do something with that empty lot by Wheeler. If they don't want to spend any money, just make it a food truck park or something, easy cash flow for the city, gives people opportunity for successful business. I dunno, but if more stuff is coming, that empty lot is going to look weird.

I think the longer term plan is for the old Fiesta building to be razed, yes.  The lot to the southwest catty corner for the Ion is also listed for sale, although I have to think the price being asked is exorbitant or Rice would have scooped it up.

Edited by houstontexasjack
  • Like 1

Houston company hopes to turn pipelines' waste into electricity

When Mihir Desu thinks about the mazes of pipelines zig-zagging across Houston and its industrial complexes, he doesn’t think about what they’re transporting or where they’re going. He thinks of their wasted potential.

Thousands of megawatts of unharnessed electricity could be generated at their intersections, where pipeline operators must adjust the pressure of gases and liquids as they’re transported along vast networks. But by installing a few devices at just one of these junctures, companies could harness 1 to 15 megawatts — enough electricity to power 200 to 3,000 homes.

Earlier this month, Desu and his team at Pressure Corp. announced they would begin offering the ability to convert that waste into electricity.

The technology to convert this waste into energy is not new, Desu said, but the cost of installing the machines to make it work has dropped, in large part because the Biden Administration made them eligible for federal investment tax credits, which are similar to those offered for solar and wind projects.

“These projects have been studied before, but one core issue has been that the cost of their capital is too high for the opportunity,” Desu said. “But now you have a mechanism to reduce the capital costs of these projects.”

Pressure Corp, which is partially housed in the Greentown Labs’ climate-tech incubator in Midtown, is not in the business of manufacturing the turboexpanders, generators, heaters or other machines used to convert the pressure into electricity. Instead, its team sifts through a facility’s data to complete feasibility studies, write up risk analyses, and help purchase and install the tools companies would need to begin generating electricity.

All told, installing one of the generating systems could cost $10 million to $20 million. But with the tax incentives, Desu said, 26 percent of the project’s cost could be written off until Jan. 1, 2023. After that, the incentive would decrease to 22 percent until the program tentatively expires in January 2024.

“If companies want to take advantage of these incentives, we’re open for business,” he said. “We’re ready and waiting.”

shelby.webb@chron.com

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/Houston-company-hopes-to-turn-pipelines-waste-16627863.php

• Like 9

On 11/17/2021 at 10:47 AM, CREguy13 said:

If you're supportive of the Ion, you'll dislike and be semi-annoyed by the comments in this episode.  If you're anti-Ion and what's happening in this area, you'll like this episode.  My opinion, but figured I'd save some 18:07

I thought the observation that the lack of access to the Ion from the Wheeler Street Transit Center is a missed opportunity was spot-on. "Transit adjacent", indeed!
Why are public transit riders forced to walk around the building to gain entrance? I'm hazarding a guess - the architects either didn't think to factor that into their plans, or just plain don't care.

Edited by dbigtex56
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2021 at 4:29 PM, CREguy13 said:

Hoping this is simply quick politics to have gone on record for delaying vote... I recently started working out of the Ion and it is bustling with energy from VCs, startups, several large energy companies, highly programmed networking and academic events, tons of visitors, etc.  Also Greentown Labs is near or at capacity and there is spillover from there to here already taking place...  the moment these investments are approved, Phase I is likely ready to be announced.  

Could be wrong, but don't think I am... hopefully this is only a short pause.  Serious momentum underway.

I also work out of the Ion now - maybe we've met each other. Are you at Common Desk?

• Thanks 1

I posted (Montrose)the notes of this presented at Neartown.

COH making big effort to get community input. So far that has been a character building event for COH. Those living next to this corridor very vocal in their opinion not very positive but very vocal.

• Like 1