6 hours ago, X.R. said:

Yeah, agree with second point. They need the space to actually do testing. 40k sq feet of green energy startups is a coup to me cause its so far out of my expectations for startups in Houston, I almost can't believe it. We went from thought and opinion pieces in local papers and publications asking "can this even work, it should have been more organic/what about Post Oak?!?" to "we have THE established green incubator opening up a space next to the Ion." Thats an impressive jump.

It’s an enormous jump. I don’t think it’s fully sunk in for me. Similar to Google opening offices here. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, zaphod said:

To be fair, what function does the Boston office, as a physical brick-and-mortar place, actually have given the present trend towards remote work nowadays? A lot of the administrative stuff this organization does is probably not anchored to a specific city. After all, if you wanted access to the best experts you'd by necessity have a team scattered around the country and perhaps worldwide. And the floor space dedicated to startup work that needs physical presence is probably pretty plain.

The room or building in that picture looks like a glorified event venue for startups to pitch things to investors. It probably remains empty most of the time.

A legit science lab full of prototypes and instruments and test benches would probably employ far more people who might be inclined to live nearby in the city. And it would be an opportunity for creative new startups to take off, some of which may remain in the city and create networks that benefit Houston as a whole for decades to come.

I am a huge fan of WFH. it makes so much sense for so many jobs. 

when you are working a job that involves innovation though, it comes so much faster through collaboration. in person collaboration. it doesn't mean you have to sit in the office 5 days a week though. 1 or 2 days a week in the office, lunch as a team kind of thing. you can get so much done by way of bouncing ideas off your peers in a person to person environment. you then take those ideas back to your home office and work on them, then a week later you do the collaboration thing all over again.

even for jobs like a MOP, getting in front of other people face to face counts for so much, but to suggest that there's no other solution than to do it 5 days a week, or never, that's silly. I know you weren't suggesting this at all.

• Like 2

A little off topic, and I couldn't find a thread for this but, does anyone know whats going on at the lot that used to hold a Goodyear tire shop, next to Fiesta, on the block just south of the Ventana apartments? I only got a quick glance driving by but it looked like a huge pit was being excavated, maybe for a building foundation??

Edit: Nevermind, looks like this will be the parking garage

Edited by Howard Huge
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Howard Huge said:

A little off topic, and I couldn't find a thread for this but, does anyone know whats going on at the lot that used to hold a Goodyear tire shop, next to Fiesta, on the block just south of the Ventana apartments? I only got a quick glance driving by but it looked like a huge pit was being excavated, maybe for a building foundation??

Edit: Nevermind, looks like this will be the parking garage

Parking garage with GFR

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, HouTXRanger said:

Anyone attend the affordable housing talk the Ion put on tonight? There just quite wasn't enough time for me to say all I wanted . . . but, there were some great ideas and thoughts passed around.

I did..

• Like 3

17 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

$1.4m in federal funds to launch aerospace tech accelerator?  In partnership with NASA's Johnson Space Center?  SIGN ME UP.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/techburger/article/The-Ion-gets-1-4M-in-federal-funds-for-space-15630626.php

Wow this is HUGE! I wonder if Musk will hear about this and open some Space X offices at the ION.

• Like 9

So I made a map of 1, 2, 3 mile circles around The Ion(former Sears building).  There is a coalition trying to form a CBA with Rice for this development.  I'm indifferent if they're able to make this happen based on the distance from Third Ward.  At what distance do you think The Ion will have an affect on property values?  I'm within the 1 mile circle for Third Ward and new construction in my area is already $350k+...

0kOYmgP.jpg

Edited by BeerNut
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, BeerNut said:

So I made a map of 1, 2, 3 mile circles around The Ion(former Sears building).  There is a coalition trying to form a CBA with Rice for this development.  I'm indifferent if they're able to make this happen based on the distance from Third Ward.  At what distance do you think The Ion will have an affect on property values?  I'm within the 1 mile circle for Third Ward and new construction in my area is already $350k+...

0kOYmgP.jpg

1 mile radius - significant effect, apparent in the short term. 2 mile radius - mild affect, apparent in the long term. 3 mile radius - little to no effect (unless Ion becomes very big, like a Tech Center rivaling the Medical Center).

Effect will be stronger west of the north/south freeway spine (288, 59, 45) since freeway acts as a buffer.

• Like 6

I think the effect is going to be very severe in the 3rd ward once construction on the BRT starts. It'll be 5-10 minutes away on the line, and by far the cheapest area along the entire length. It's going to be targeted heavily for new apartment/condo construction for sure.

• Like 5

Can anyone speak to the hold up on the Ion garage?  Is it still moving forward as planned and is just delayed, or has something happened that's made Rice re-assess the full use of this block?  Greentown Labs has a massive parking lot to utilize, but can this garage be finished by early spring of 2021 when both Greentown and Ion open their doors?

• Like 2

On 10/17/2020 at 2:31 AM, BeerNut said:

0kOYmgP.jpg

The CBA in my opinion has always been DOA. The only people willing to entertain this idea was Rice (only because they have a guilty conscious), but with all the pull this thing is already getting, they don't need anything from this coalition because they don't need them for anything. In fact, just looking at it from a pure negotiation/political stand point. Its the coalition that needs The Ion, not the other way around, yet at the same time its the coalition trying to make all the demands. Not exactly a wise business strategy. The dynamics of the surrounding neighborhoods have been changing for awhile now, and will continue to change. If one focuses on the actual dynamics it just looks like a last ditch bid for the power brokers, and those who hold a political stranglehold on the 3rd Ward, are gradually going to lose their influence and authority because the demographics are going to shift, and they want to find a way to keep that going. I just don't see it happening.

If they approached them in a way that was an assist or offer, rather than a demand or a sense of entitlement then they probably would have gotten something a long time ago. Its not a great look to be pushy especially when this development doesn't exactly need the existing political authority to get any influence for itself, or bring in business. In fact The Ion is doing that naturally on its own.

• Like 3

The biggest issue I have is that some of the most vocal supporters of the CBA won't hold MRA accountable.  If you aren't confronting an organization that's supposed to build affordable housing and already owns 100+ acres of unkept property in Third Ward why should I support the CBA you want...

• Like 5