Buffalo Heights District: Mixed-Use Development At 100 Waugh Dr.

Ross

Excited the HEB is open, but I'm more anxious to hear about phase II and the larger plan for both the remaining Archstone apartments and the area between HEB and Gordy & Sons.

On the Buffalo Heights site they reference "Outdoor enthusiasts, anglers, and explorers will love trekking through the incredible adventure gear and outerwear at ultra-luxe, Gordy & Sons Outfitters"  At this point Gordy & Sons IS a trek from HEB, hoping the goal is to fully redevelop the block(s) between Waugh and Yale. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, kbates2 said:

It’s fantastic, been here three times already.

Went there twice now myself. Wife and I are coming to the conclusion that it's probably even better than the Heights location. Feels like it might have a bigger selection and maybe it's just the layout but it feels larger than the Heights location too. Feels a little bit more like a Whole Foods in there with all the signage and everything inside.

My only problem is that it is incredibly cold in there. Like, you can tell everyone is freezing in there and all the employees wear jackets. They need to turn it up just a tad bit in there.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Purdueenginerd said:

Hows the traffic in and out of there? The HEB in the north heights was a hot mess when it opened, and at times difficult to get in and out of

Definitely more traffic but not terrible. There are cops directing and restricting certain turns in the afternoons. I just wonder how long that will continue. Raymond St. at S. Heights is the newest frogger challenge. -_- 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 4:56 PM, Triton said:

Went there twice now myself. Wife and I are coming to the conclusion that it's probably even better than the Heights location. Feels like it might have a bigger selection and maybe it's just the layout but it feels larger than the Heights location too. Feels a little bit more like a Whole Foods in there with all the signage and everything inside.

My only problem is that it is incredibly cold in there. Like, you can tell everyone is freezing in there and all the employees wear jackets. They need to turn it up just a tad bit in there.

Is it better than the Montrose location though?

10 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

Is it better than the Montrose location though?

Hard thing to answer. Personally I think the Washington location is my new favorite because it feels like they really pulled out all the stops to make this one feel special. I still like how the Montrose one fits in with the neighborhood and the large oak trees but these stores are just different.

• Like 3

On 10/14/2019 at 1:37 PM, skooljunkie said:

Spotted a street abandonment sign for "Court St." (south of Washington near Studemont) just now.

The only Court Street I found was north of Washington and ran from Washington to the UP tracks.

Screenshot-20191017-000012-Maps.jpg

Edited by Visitor

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
18 hours ago, Avossos said:

this would be wonderful. I can imagine it won’t be easy getting funding for this now.

Pros: Extremely low interest rates, government wants this kind of investment to continue so the economy doesn’t tank, by the time this finishes construction the virus (hopefully) will be gone. 

Cons: Extremely high risk, we don’t know what the hell is going on, retailers, corporations, and buyers have stopped investment.

personally, I would invest, but I only got $1,000 dollars to 😂

• Like 3

Commercial MBS markets are completely frozen. Commercial leaseholders will struggle to make lease payments, which means property owners and developers will struggle to make loan payments, which impairs the associated commercial MBS assets.

For the most part, banks and other holders have foregone margin calls, and Fed is backstopping, but don't hold your breath for new funding.

• Sad 1

• The title was changed to Buffalo Heights District: 100 Waugh
  • 3 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is happening faster than I thought!!!!!!! Mayor Turner called us "Silicon Bayou" I like the ring of that

It's literally just an office to sell AdWords lol. Guess it's a small start atleast...

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, iah77 said:

It's literally just an office to sell AdWords lol. Guess it's a small start atleast...

Would you rather Google not set up an office here? An office is an office. And as they get their foot in the door, they’ll expand their presence even more over time. I expect an office in the Innovation District. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 9

48 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Looks like Phase 2 which was supposed to be announced around this time won't happen any time soon due to the pandemic, etc. 

That's unfortunate, was really hoping for some good news on this development. I suspect 100 waugh is even further back on the back burner given the state of the office space sector.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Looks like Phase 2 which was supposed to be announced around this time won't happen any time soon due to the pandemic, etc. 

Do you have more color on this? Was it office oriented? Why delay an announcement - its a very long lead item.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Avossos said:

Do you have more color on this? Was it office oriented? Why delay an announcement - its a very long lead item.

From the Houston Business Journal:

". . .  with the pandemic and the resulting economic impacts, we are taking a wait-and-see approach on next steps based on what market demands will look like as people resume their post-Covid lifestyles,” the company said.

BKR Memorial said the next phase of the project will include additional residential units, as well as Class A offices, retail and restaurants, all centered around pedestrian walkways and a central green space. Other uses, including hospitality and entertainment, are being considered for future phases, the company said.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Unrelated but nearby...I spotted survey stakes around the nearly 1-acre property with the small office building at 300 Jackson Hill. If redeveloped, a tower here would be surrounded by parks and have incredible views of DT, UK, and Uptown...and also the AIG building heh. Maybe it's nothing though.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...