Buffalo Heights District: Mixed-Use Development At 100 Waugh Dr.

Ross

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2019 at 8:05 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

Is it just me or are those sidewalks going to be tiny?

This is definitely a site where you'd want 10' sidewalks, and it sort of looks like the standard 3' sidewalks. They might be waiting towards the end of the project to redo the sidewalks perhaps?

On 2/5/2019 at 8:39 PM, Visitor said:

And super close to the road for some reason...

That I actually like. With on street parking on Washington(though Im not sure if this area has it), its better to have the sidewalk right up against the road. The design philosophy of Street->3' uninterrupted strip of grass--> sidewalk is a suburban technique that forces street parkers to walk onto wet/muddy grass. 

2 hours ago, Purdueenginerd said:

This is definitely a site where you'd want 10' sidewalks, and it sort of looks like the standard 3' sidewalks. They might be waiting towards the end of the project to redo the sidewalks perhaps?

That I actually like. With on street parking on Washington(though Im not sure if this area has it), its better to have the sidewalk right up against the road. The design philosophy of Street->3' uninterrupted strip of grass--> sidewalk is a suburban technique that forces street parkers to walk onto wet/muddy grass. 

No they’re laying the new sidewalks already, so idk what the deal is here. I feel like this is a missed opportunity to build sidewalks similar to the development right next to it. I don’t mind one strip of parking but this much is wasted space smh

Edited by j_cuevas713

I just drove by tonite and they look to be about 5 feet wide. 

I just drove by tonite and they look to be about 5 feet wide. 

44 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

5 feet is the minimum width allowed.

Now it is. Also the minimum can be 3ft per TAS / ADA if after a certain length there is a place for a wheelchair to rotate and go in the opposite direction. Ironically our curb cuts service this requirement which is why people are fine with only doing 3ft. While I personally don't care about the cost of an extra 2ft of concrete width of a sidewalk. When numbers start getting crunched and value engineering takes place, a 5ft sidewalk if 3ft with those extra direction changing pads requirement is meet, usually is the first to go.

Been looking into the conversation here. Lets just let these guys get to it first. They haven't even brought down the construction fence. Landscape/Streetscape is always last and for now we just don't know. This would be like driving to the whole foods in midtown and seeing the construction fence yet not seeing any sidewalk yet and concluding that "I guess they won't have a sidewalk'. Its still not there yet. Lets give it time.

Overall, I'm hoping that further into the future, as this area gets more urban with more foot traffic then the importance of the frontage parking will diminish and this will be replaced with more pedestrian walk space, and that would be incredible. That would be so much space.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Chron article about The Roastery Coffee Kitchen opening and future location

The Roastery

THE ROASTERY

The Roastery Coffee Kitchen led by Jason Giagrande offers a seasonal food menu and features specialty coffee, tea and products developed by the team known as “FOUR J”. The FOUR J’s consist of acclaimed chefs, Jason Giagrande, Jonathan Waxman, Jimmy Bradley and Joey Campanaro.

Edited by BeerNut
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So...the vacant lot/parking lot at 100 Waugh near Dickson St and the Memorial on ramp is being dug up. It’s Day 2 of activity that appears to be storm sewer or utility installation. No pics yet—don’t shoot! This is the lot that was the construction worker parking lot for the mixed use building with HEB. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, skooljunkie said:

So...the vacant lot/parking lot at 100 Waugh near Dickson St and the Memorial on ramp is being dug up. It’s Day 2 of activity that appears to be storm sewer or utility installation. No pics yet—don’t shoot! This is the lot that was the construction worker parking lot for the mixed use building with HEB. 

I believe that is supposed to be a high rise if that's what they are starting. 

• Like 3

On 6/20/2019 at 4:45 PM, skooljunkie said:

On 6/20/2019 at 10:41 PM, jmitch94 said:

I believe that is supposed to be a high rise if that's what they are starting. 

Yep! Two high-rises in fact, Northbank Buffalo Bayou.

• Like 4

On 2/5/2019 at 8:05 PM, j_cuevas713 said:
7 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Listing for a site for sale across Buffalo Heights also confirms Northbank Buffalo Bayou:

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/140-S-Heights-Blvd-Houston-TX/16467675/

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The brochure also has a never-before-seen site plan for Buffalo Heights:

gBDFzT5.jpg

So happy to see the BH spread is already happening. Hoping whoever scoops up that parcel develops it with cohesion of Northbank/100 Waugh and BH in mind. There is a great oppty here and I'm hoping it isn't wasted.

The full BH site plan, while likely an early concept, is exciting. 

Edited by Visitor
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

So four residential towers, a hotel, and three office towers. Pretty ambitious. It kind of turns its back from Washington Avenue in favor of an internal pedestrian environment, which suggests a "drive-to urbanism" paradigm, but I suppose it will likely evolve as it is built out. I suspect if we get rail along Washington Ave. then developments like this will embrace the street more, similar to what's being built along Main in Midtown.

• Like 1