CityCentre: Mixed-Use Development At 800 Town And Country Blvd.

Parrothead

O.K. have it your way. Builders build the opposite of what people want. All those cars in the parking lot are just figments of my imagination. And the dilapidated abandoned buildings built up to the pedestrian friendly sidewalks of EADO are just filled to capacity with happy invisible shoppers.

Edited by Metro West

O.K. have it your way. Builders build the opposite of what people want. All those cars in the parking lot are just figments of my imagination. And the dilapidated abandoned buildings built up to the pedestrian friendly sidewalks of EADO are just filled to capacity with happy invisible shoppers.

Excellent job of completely missing what I said.

Builders build what makes them the most profit, because that's the definition of capitalism. Generally they DO follow "what people want", or at least what some subset of people want, but they tend to take a very short term view of things.

Builders do not like risk, so if they've been doing something that's made them money in the past, then they're pretty likely to continue doing it until it stops making them money, regardless of what people "want". 

• Like 1

A general contractor has yet to be named, but the other players are in place for a major new office project in the Energy Corridor, which is slated to break ground in the fall of 2015.

In a joint venture, Houston-based Midway Cos. and Chicago-based LaSalle Investment Management will develop 6.41 acres in CityCentre that will include 740,000 square feet of additional office space built to LEED Gold standards. The two new office towers will be located north of CityCentre Five, a 15-story project under constructionat 825 Town & Country Way. Both towers will be 16 stories with nine levels of parking, as well as a roof-top terrace on the fourth floor of both buildings.

Colvill Office Properties is marketing the space.

Munoz + Albin Architecture is the project architect, and Kirksey is the architect of record. Both are based in Houston. No financing was taken for the project, which will debt free. Colvill Office Properties is marketing the space.

“We have had tremendous success. Our current office products are almost 100 percent leased. We think the success is the prime location and the lifestyle they offer here at CityCentre, which has restaurants, hotels, conference space and retail. People want to live their day-to-day lives amongst great amenities,” said Shon Link, executive vice president of development for Midway Cos.

CityCentre Four became fully leased over the summer when Laredo Energy, a Houston-based natural gas company, signed on for the remaining 11,574 square feet of space in the building.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2014/09/more-details-revealed-on-major-citycentre-office.html?ana=twt

• Like 1

Excellent job of completely missing what I said.

Builders build what makes them the most profit, because that's the definition of capitalism. Generally they DO follow "what people want", or at least what some subset of people want, but they tend to take a very short term view of things.

Builders do not like risk, so if they've been doing something that's made them money in the past, then they're pretty likely to continue doing it until it stops making them money, regardless of what people "want".

This doesn't make sense. If people don't want it, then it won't make money for the developer.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't mean to bring up oil in every thread but Jonathan Brinsden did bring it up. I wonder how this will affect the expansion:

Nosediving oil prices will affect commercial developers more quickly than residential developers, said Jonathan Brinsden, CEO of Houston-based Midway Cos., which developed the CityCentre mixed-use project.

"The office side is where we're going to feel it first," Brinsden said. "There's a lot of sensitivities at $60 a barrel."

As energy companies scale back their budgets, they will likely consolidate their operations and look for smaller offices. Brinsden predicts a lot of renegotiated contracts as well as mergers and acquisitions as the middle energy market is squeezed.

In addition, office projects — both underway and proposed — may be mothballed if oil prices continue to plummet.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2014/12/12/houston-developers-keep-wary-eye-on-falling-oil.html?page=2

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hopefully it will forward with it's next hotel phase (a renovation of an existing hotel), if it hasn't already started. Otherwise, there are quite a few apartments under construction here. Pretty amazing how big this development has gotten. 

• Like 1

Love this development, but would be surprised if it moves forward in current oil environment.

The current oil environment as of yesterday was $52 a barrel for WTI.

I think the real estate developers are way behind the power curve, compared to the developers of that Legacy complex in Plano. Seems to me a lot of their tenants could have been attracted to the Woodlands or the Energy Corridor (okay, they're insurance companies, but who knows?) 

So Phase II is the beautification of the 4 Points? What is the big building in between Phase II & III? The Three smaller office buildings are going bye bye.

Edit: Does anyone know or presume that City Centre will eventually take over the retail centers, Mac Haik, and other smaller office buildings to eventually connect with the Memorial Hermann?

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 1

So Phase II is the beautification of the 4 Points? What is the big building in between Phase II & III? The Three smaller office buildings are going bye bye.

Edit: Does anyone know or presume that City Centre will eventually take over the retail centers, Mac Haik, and other smaller office buildings to eventually connect with the Memorial Hermann?

That is the Alexan City Centre which is under construction will be 7 stories.

I do believe they will expand further east as those properties become available. I remember reading in a article when they released the renderings for phase 3 that they are always actively looking for room for expansion.

That is the Alexan City Centre which is under construction will be 7 stories.

I do believe they will expand further east as those properties become available. I remember reading in a article when they released the renderings for phase 3 that they are always actively looking for room for expansion.

Yaaaaaaaas! I love CityCentre! An expansion east would be something to write about. I would include some of the existing restaurants and retailers like Pappadeax, Pappasitos, and Bed Bath & Beyond from the current shopping centers in the newly expanded areas. I think having more popular mainstream stores and restaurants will give CityCentre even more life.

City Centre is such a great success story that I can only hope is replicated many times over in Houston.

If I have one knock, it's that Bendwood Park is completely isolated from City Centre.

I guess it can be rectified in the future, but that would require Creme de la Creme to move and the elementary school to give up some of its land.

In addition, I imagine the neighborhood would resist this as it would effectively end their exclusive hold on the park.

The fact is, that patch of fake green space isn't enough to support the growth of this development for long.

• Like 2

City Centre is such a great success story that I can only hope is replicated many times over in Houston.

If I have one knock, it's that Bendwood Park is completely isolated from City Centre.

I guess it can be rectified in the future, but that would require Creme de la Creme to move and the elementary school to give up some of its land.

In addition, I imagine the neighborhood would resist this as it would effectively end their exclusive hold on the park.

The fact is, that patch of fake green space isn't enough to support the growth of this development for long.

I live in the neighborhood and I've had similar thoughts about Bendwood's future. However, I believe the park will definitely remain isolated from the development, even if its use increases as the local population grows.

Bendwood Park is surrounded by expensive single family homes on three sides and Bendwood Elementary on the fourth. Creme de la Creme and Town & Country Village to City Centre's south are owned by another firm. Town & Country has already made the leap from retail-only to a mid-rise office building and could feasibly venture into residential. However, even they do not have land directly adjacent to Bendwood Park.

Development spurred by City Centre has plenty of room to expand to the south and east before intruding into the neighborhoods. I can even imagine City Center and Memorial City merging into a contiguous district along Katy Freeway before a single home in Fonn Villas is torn down by developers.

You are absolutely right, though. Midway needs another plot of green space. That patch of astroturf is so crowded on weekends!

Edited by The Ozone Files
  • Like 1

Two new tenants are moving in - Microsoft and Altus.

Oil prices have hit an interesting dichotomy; WTI is at $52 a barrel, while Brent is at $61. One of the trades said fracking is keeping US prices depressed relative to Europe.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...