CityCentre: Mixed-Use Development At 800 Town And Country Blvd.

Parrothead

• 1 month later...

The transition image from old to new was really cool.

Why can't someone buy four blocks that make up a square in downtown and replicate this exact same idea? Except, of course, it would truly be in an urban area and would have true connectivity and thru streets. It would be ten times better.

Too bad Houston Center was built in the car-centric days, Bayou Place was simply just a renovation job of an existing building and Green Street was just totally botched.

Thankfully, there are still enough blocks downtown to make something like this happen, and it would really help downtown take off even more, even without tax incentives. If the Houston Pavilions could attempt the basic concept less than a decade ago, surely someone else wants to try again but do it the right way.

Truthfully, Houston Pavilions attempted this in the infancy stage of downtown turnarounds, so I give them somewhat of a pass. But there's no excuse now. Everyone knows, without a doubt, urban living is in.

I'd love for two or three developers get together to make this happen.

• Like 3

@lockmat I definitely understand your frustration. It's interesting that retailers like Zara, H&M, etc. either weren't courted or had no interest in Green Street, especially given that Forever 21 was one of the first tenants.  IMO a Zara seems like a 'no brainer' for attracting downtown office workers, much like Foley's/Macy's did in its heyday.

unfortunately if Midway gets the Post Office site, that development won't be anything like what both you and I seek for downtown. it will be disconnected and basically be City Centre II.

where would you suggest it go? there aren't really any places downtown with 2x2 blocks ripe for redevelopment except north of the ballpark and west of the planned Camden towers. unless you incorporated an existing structure into a 3 block L. in that case you could build one around the northeast side of the ExxonMobil tower and tie that as the office component.

http://www.munozalbin.com/62-houston-post-office.html

Edited by cloud713

unfortunately if Midway gets the Post Office site, that development won't be anything like what both you and I seek for downtown. it will be disconnected and basically be City Centre II.

where would you suggest it go? there aren't really any places downtown with 2x2 blocks ripe for redevelopment except north of the ballpark and west of the planned Camden towers. unless you incorporated an existing structure into a 3 block L. in that case you could build one around the northeast side of the ExxonMobil tower and tie that as the office component.

http://www.munozalbin.com/62-houston-post-office.html

I really like the idea of having it near the ballpark because there are 80 games there a year, spread out over six months of the year. One downside is it doesn't allow much more of downtown to feed off its synergy.

The Exxon area is a great I idea, especially because it's on the rail, close to two new residential developments and two blocks from Green Street. I would be down with that.

But the best place might be Caroline, Clay, La Branch and Dallas, near where you were talking about. It has three great neighbors on each side. 1) Discovery Green/Convention area, 2) Toyota Center, Root Square Park and nearby residential developments and 3) Green Street, even though not the best development on it's own could still contribute to an area greater than itself.

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 2

yeah i considered that place first but no way would South Texas School of Law give up their parking lot (they own the black top right?), and Randy is building his tower on part of the block north, so that only leaves 2 (and a half, if you build next to the Marlowe) blocks available. you could make another 3 block long GS-esque development going N/S along that corridor, going up next to the Four Seasons, but id rather see a development more clustered in a square like you said.

i think i like the L connected into Exxon the best, due to the light rail frontage and a (potential) tunnel connection among other things. wasn't the city was considering building a half block park north of the Savoy Holiday Inn at one point? if so there would be some green space next door too.

Edited by cloud713

yeah i considered that place first but no way would South Texas School of Law give up their parking lot (they own the black top right?), and Randy is building his tower on part of the block north, so that only leaves 2 (and a half, if you build next to the Marlowe) blocks available. you could make another 3 block long GS-esque development going N/S along that corridor, going up next to the Four Seasons, but id rather see a development more clustered in a square like you said.

i think i like the L connected into Exxon the best, due to the light rail frontage and a (potential) tunnel connection among other things. wasn't the city was considering building a half block park north of the Savoy Holiday Inn at one point? if so there would be some green space next door too.

I didn't know about the law school parking lot, but someday I would think that the value of the lot would increase to the point they'd be foolish not to sell it. Or maybe they could work out a deal with the buyer to utilize their garage? That's a potentially small hurdle.

Marlowe is small enough that there's still plenty of room to develop around it and incorporate it into our master plan idea. Plus, it actually adds value to the project because it is there and adds some uniqueness to it.

• Like 1

True, I just figured the school is holding onto that land for any sort of future expansion but I don't know their long term plans. Maybe build a residential tower on that block with a large garage (and of course retail facing into the development) for student housing and school parking options to appease any of the schools wishes/desires for the land. And having a college, along with students living on the property, as part of the development could add a unique vibe that CityCentre isn't able to recreate.

Yeah the Marlowe could be a neat component. Now I'm not sure which location I like better.

Sorry to drag this off topic. Scheming up new developments is a hobby of mine if yall haven't noticed by now. There should probably be an entire thread dedicated to my development fantasies.. Heh

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What's with the plaza space btwn the theater and office building?

Its both hostile to pedestrians due to the car traffic while making it harder for cars to use the garage due to its large setback / foot traffic.

Fail.

But considering what there was in this location before, I guess I'll take it.

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king... or something. IDK.

• Like 2

What's with the plaza space btwn the theater and office building?

Its both hostile to pedestrians due to the car traffic while making it harder for cars to use the garage due to its large setback / foot traffic.

Fail.

But considering what there was in this location before, I guess I'll take it.

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king... or something. IDK.

It looks like it doubles as a plaza and a pick-up/drop-off area. I actually think its thoughtfully designed. Trust me they could have done something a lot cheaper and worse. Its a compromise and something that they didn't need to do, but they did it anyway since I don't believe we have any land-use codes that say a particular building needs to dedicate "x" amount of land to public use. It balances both worlds pedestrian and car.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

• Grimaldi’s Pizzeria will open its first location in the city of Houston this spring on the south end of Sorella Court at Queensbury Lane beneath Houston Texans Grille.
  • Women’s clothing store Madewell will open next month on the south end of Town & Country Boulevard next to Urban Outfitters.
  • Home furnishings retailer West Elm will open a 12,000-square-foot store on the south side of Town & Country Boulevard.
  • Bowl & Barrel, an upscale bowling venue will open on the south end of Sorella Court at Queensbury Lane and Beltway 8 feeder road, along with The General Public restaurant and bar.
  • Olive & Vine, which opened in 2011 is moving into a larger location with 2,000 square feet. It will on the south side of Town & Country Boulevard between Paper Source and Madewell.
  • Last month, H&M opened its first Houston-area location not in a shopping mall. Fellini Gelato & Caffe opened earlier this month. A new office tower, CityCentre Five, will be completed soon and will add new parking spaces to CityCentre visitors.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2015/10/madewll-west-elm-and-others-to-join-citycentre/

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...