CityCentre: Mixed-Use Development At 800 Town And Country Blvd.

Parrothead

The new Country Playhouse

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Country-Playhouse/102504436569

575149_10151509003806570_353826424_n.jpg

I know that over the last few months (probably longer) there have been many rumors and speculation swirling around about what the future of our organization would be. Well, the wheels have been moving on what has turned out to be an extremely busy 2013. It can now officially be announced that Country Playhouse has entered into an agreement with Moody RambinInterests where they will acquire a portion of our current property. A new 10 story office complex called Town Center 1 is going to be built at the corner of Town and Country Boulevard and Queensbury Lane. Where our building currently sits will become a garage that will have parking for approximately 1500 cars. This means that our current building will be demolished sometime between the middle to end of August in order to facilitate this redevelopment.

As part of the agreement in this new development, Moody Rambin will be constructing a brand new 22,000 square foot top of the line theater for us. The new main stage will seat approximately 225-250 in a multi level seating arrangement. We will also have a black box performance space with seating for around 80. In addition to these two new performance spaces, we will have a full rehearsal hall, a conference room for design and production meetings, office space and full ADA compliance. The timeline for a project of this magnitude is somewhat of a work in progress, but tentatively we should be taking possession of our new facility sometime in the fall of 2014.

Kirksey is the architect. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Town Centre One is coming along! That is going to be a quality urban development.

13848784985_b56e4dd5d9_h.jpg

you can see the theater pad on the left, the garage coming out of the ground in the back, and the courtyard area in the middle.

Edited by Greens!
  • Like 5

I saw them doing some drilling with a portable crane at City Centre today.. Anyone know what that's for/was it taking soil samples for a new building?

Couldn't get a picture fast enough as I drove by.. You can see the top of the mobile crane though

8735B887-5B76-4774-9E98-150017FC2104_zps

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I work at one of the Town & Country office buildings off the feeder of I-10W and the Beltway, and the rumors are flying this week that Midway has finally purchased these 3 aging buildings, which would extend CityCentre to it's logical Northern boundary. Can anyone out there in commercial real estate land lend any credence to this info?

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.782978,-95.56077,3a,75y,109.14h,88.97t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s44kLYGYUYFic4SYtsI3t4Q!2e0

I work at one of the Town & Country office buildings off the feeder of I-10W and the Beltway, and the rumors are flying this week that Midway has finally purchased these 3 aging buildings, which would extend CityCentre to it's logical Northern boundary. Can anyone out there in commercial real estate land lend any credence to this info?

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.782978,-95.56077,3a,75y,109.14h,88.97t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s44kLYGYUYFic4SYtsI3t4Q!2e0

this is correct.

• Like 4

That's good news.  How about the old strip center between the T&C office buildings and the Sheraton Four Points Hotel (or whatever it is now)?  To me, it's been kinda creepy for awhile, especially after hearing about someone being shot to death during a robbery (or some such) there some years ago.

They so need rail or some kind of trolley street car system in this entire area from Memorial City Mall to beltway 8. They are really missing a great opportunity here.

You have to imagine that eventually Memorial City and City Centre will merge together to form a large mix-use / urban like environment. 

The existing residential, Beltway 8, and I-10 will be natural barriers, but I can see it expand along the frontage of I10.

I think we can talk about rail when that happens. Anything b/f then is wishful thinking.

Does Metro's new bus plan call for a Frequent bus route between these two areas? I'll have to look again to see.

You have to imagine that eventually Memorial City and City Centre will merge together to form a large mix-use / urban like environment. 

The existing residential, Beltway 8, and I-10 will be natural barriers, but I can see it expand along the frontage of I10.

I think we can talk about rail when that happens. Anything b/f then is wishful thinking.

Does Metro's new bus plan call for a Frequent bus route between these two areas? I'll have to look again to see.

The new plan only hits Memorial City with a frequent route.  There's a connection between the two, but it's green which means 60 min or so between buses.

They should buy all of the I-10 feeder property and plant a thick little forest of trees trees to buffer the development from the freeway. It just doesn't seem that cool when you look over and a freeway is right in your face.

• Like 1

In all honestly we really should at some point get away from so much activity facing the frontage roads. The city of Houston should have established a large bufferzone between the highway and developments along the freeway to help with general noise control, views, traffic on the frontage roads themselves, and put more importance on inner streets instead of making the highways de facto main streets (which isn't what a highway is suppose to do). Anyway getting off topic, sorta, like the idea of a forest buffer and a growing connection between city centre and memorial. Memorial however needs to determine an urban core. It still looks way to attached to the highway and is still a sea of parking lots.

• Like 3

this is correct.

Thanks for the confirmation! One of the office management people said that the asking price was $35 million. These buildings are ready to come down- creaky windows, dated interiors, leaky plumbing, a/c that works sometimes and too well on others while the fourth floor tenants sweat it out on Summer days. I'll be glad to pack up and move.

Edited by Hobbes

That's good news.  How about the old strip center between the T&C office buildings and the Sheraton Four Points Hotel (or whatever it is now)?  To me, it's been kinda creepy for awhile, especially after hearing about someone being shot to death during a robbery (or some such) there some years ago.

I'd guess it will go soon if the 3 T&C buildings are done. There's also a small parcel that used to have a bank drive thru on it that was cleared a couple of months ago for office space that wasn't noted on the map posted above (between the Studio Movie Grill and the Alvin Gee next to the strip center.

PhO8BPr.jpg

They so need rail or some kind of trolley street car system in this entire area from Memorial City Mall to beltway 8. They are really missing a great opportunity here.

Completely agree. Should follow Richmond from UT to the Beltway and connect with the Briar Lakes area and continue to Memorial City and work it's way west through the EC. Would be a perfect opportunity to do so.