CityCentre: Mixed-Use Development At 800 Town And Country Blvd.

Parrothead

Negotiations for a new (much needed) grocery store and another restaurant most likely. I' very impressed how in 2 years (roundabout) they drew a residence population of 1,200 yet at the same time saddened how our downtown only has slightly double that number with 2,500 residences.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/2011/03/citycentre-grocer-to-help-feed-masses.html

Not sure, but you seem to be comparing residents to residences. According to the article, City Centre has 1200 residents which you compare unfavorably to 2,500 downtown residences.

• Like 1

Was in City Centre a few weeks ago and from what I saw I honestly felt a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the design, concept and visual appeal are outstanding and top notch but it feels like something is missing. It needs more retail as the majority of tenants that I noticed are restaurants. It would have been nice to see something more along the lines of The Domain in Austin mixed with high end retail. Hopefully with time this center will evolve to a more diverse tenant roster much like its neighbor, Town & Country Village, which I find to be more appealing.

Isn't that pretty much what the bizjournal article implied? They're opening one more restaurant and "that will be the last one to open for a long time". Since they have 35% of their space still open, I would think that would imply more retail going in.

Retail openings have been slow everywhere.

• 4 weeks later...

It's curious to me why CityCentre is doing so well and West Ave is taking off so slowly. Is it just timing? Does WestAve have higher rents?

The location + office angle of CityCentre make it much more of a slam dunk. West Ave is in the middle of one giant mixed use (Upper Kirby/River Oaks) with plenty of retail/restaurant options. CityCentre brought mixed use to a largely wealthy residential area.

It's curious to me why CityCentre is doing so well and West Ave is taking off so slowly. Is it just timing? Does WestAve have higher rents?

you're kind of comparing apples to oranges.

the scope of citycentre is much greater than that of west ave, seeing as though it has multiple housing options, office components, a hotel and retail (amongst other components). the residential component of west ave has done tremendous, somewhere around 95% leased i believe. the retail components at both locations have lagged, which says a lot more about the retail market in general than anything specific about either location. besides, tootsies was always going to be the harbinger for west ave... many of the retail tenants were waiting for them to sign before they committed. once they did, several others announced.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2011/09/aggie-outpost-headed-for-west-houston/

Just an update:

"A&M's Mays Business School is opening a new satellite classroom for its Professional MBA program in the CityCentre development in west Houston.

The university leased about 24,000 square feet in a new office building under construction in the 37-acre mixed-use development that replaced Town & Country Mall. Classes will begin in in the fall of 2012, shortly after the building opens."

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

What is the deal with all the vacant spaces at city centre? There are a few along the main street but the side street is mostly empty. Are they waiting to lease it or are they having a hard time?

Agreed storefronts are lacking but parking is at capacity already. After new garage opens any day now, other shops should open next year. City Center now has Dyrden Cremps Men's clothing just open to go with J Crew. So the rents call from a smaller pool of tenants. Occupancy is flat in the Lofts at City Center as well, as so far as immediate move in available.

• 3 weeks later...

This one is not built, yet, right? By its description I guess this would be north the current development. But I'm curious if this is even the final product if there is one because I thought Midway was using a different architect.

http://www.munozalbi...nter-north.html

not familiar with that one, could be an old rendering or just a proposal. that said there are two additional buildings proposed just south of citycentre where retail currently exists - one 10 stories and the other 6. supposedly phase I will start spec... not sure how accurate that is though. not midway, btw.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This building was basically going to be a mirror image of the one next door, right?  I thought that's what I saw in the rendering, however, looks like there are some more columns going up on top which would make it taller than the Mays Business School building.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

CityCentre really seems to be a success, I wish more developers would take not of what Midway did with this project and start developing more properties like this especially closer in the city.

Hopefully Midway can do the same thing to Green street.

How much more land (if any) is available to further expand this development?  Is it going to continue creeping north?  Or is that owned by someone else?

In the article it said that the Luby's was the last remaining piece of property Midway owned.  If they wanted to creep north they would have to buy those old town and country office buildings or that strip mall behind the Sheraton Four Points.  As far as I know those are all leased.

• Like 2

In the article it said that the Luby's was the last remaining piece of property Midway owned. If they wanted to creep north they would have to buy those old town and country office buildings or that strip mall behind the Sheraton Four Points. As far as I know those are all leased.

As busy as City Centre is, I'll bet we see redevelopment of those properties, especially the strip mall, in the near future. City Center is hemmed in on the East, West and South sides unless they can redevelop the land the Country Playhouse is sitting on directly South. Only question is will the redevelopment be by the same developers or a different group.

• 2 weeks later...

As busy as City Centre is, I'll bet we see redevelopment of those properties, especially the strip mall, in the near future. City Center is hemmed in on the East, West and South sides unless they can redevelop the land the Country Playhouse is sitting on directly South. Only question is will the redevelopment be by the same developers or a different group.

And so it begins...

From the Chronicle... 

The owners of Town & Country Village are planning to add some tall buildings to the sprawling low-rise shopping center on the west side of Houston.

Moody Rambin said it will start construction in September on a 10-story office building with 250,000 square feet of high-end office space and a 1,390-car parking garage. The building will go up at Town & Country Boulevard at Queensbury Lane.

Plans for the development, to be called Town Centre, are to follow the first building with a second containing six stories and 100,000 square feet.

The first new building, Town Centre I, is scheduled to open in the fourth quarter of next year.

• Like 1