CityCentre: Mixed-Use Development At 800 Town And Country Blvd.

Parrothead

Yeah I figured something would come soon after the demolition.  Kind of funny the way they said that these new buildings will rise over the existing buildings at City Centre even though there will only be a ten story and six story.  Most of the commercial buildings are six stories and the hotel is 13.  

• Like 1

And so it begins...

From the Chronicle...

only scooped it by 6 months....

not familiar with that one, could be an old rendering or just a proposal. that said there are two additional buildings proposed just south of citycentre where retail currently exists - one 10 stories and the other 6. supposedly phase I will start spec... not sure how accurate that is though. not midway, btw.

:D
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

From Real Estate Biznow -

" A new redevelopment listing, 6.4 acres fronting I-10 in Town and Country (adjacent to City Centre). Currently, the site holds three office towers totaling 202k SF, which are 98% occupied. But the site could turn into 1.3M SF of mixed-use...Muñoz Albin (world-renowned designer of CityCentre) is on board to come up with several schemes for mixed-use possibilities ranging up to 1.3M SF of development. Once those are complete in the next week, the site will come to market. (The anticipation is almost too much.) Kevin tells us they're already talking to developers all over the country, and are getting lots of interest from groups that have never developed in Houston."

Oh, ok. I thought this was an addition to city centre. This will be just north of it, correct?

Sad thing is, i bet they will feel like to separate suburban "town centers" instead of allowing them to interact with public streets and each other.

That's definitely the biggest disappointment with CityCentre. They could have done a better job integrating it with Town & Country.

Considering that are separate developments built at different times and built and owned by different owners, I've always thought they were quite nicely integrated.

Considering that are separate developments built at different times and built and owned by different owners, I've always thought they were quite nicely integrated.

I'm specifically talking about the lack of sidewalk continuity between the two developments and the signs at Town & Country that say essentially - if you park here and go to CityCentre, you will get towed.

I'm specifically talking about the lack of sidewalk continuity between the two developments and the signs at Town & Country that say essentially - if you park here and go to CityCentre, you will get towed.

Just the reality of private property and protecting their product I suppose. Wish it could be different but I understand. Public street parking and public transportation help mitigate that problem pretty quick. But hard to implement when this is essentially in the middle of a suburban tract of land.

• Like 1

Just the reality of private property and protecting their product I suppose. Wish it could be different but I understand. Public street parking and public transportation help mitigate that problem pretty quick. But hard to implement when this is essentially in the middle of a suburban tract of land.

I agree with your point, but I don't think that it's particularly a suburban thing. Look at West Ave, which is the closest thing to City Centre inside the loop. That's pretty much a protected product as well.

• Like 1

I don't think a lot of towing goes on for those parked at T&C and walking to CityCentre. We do it all the time without incident. The won't take the risk of towing someone who might be in one of the T&C shops. Now CityCentre, on the other hand, is a different deal. I have frequently seen a tow truck pull up from CityCentre with a car in tow at the James Coney Island at T&C near CityCentre. This particularly happens on Friday and Saturday nights. I think they grab the car and pull it off a short distance and then finish whatever securing or paperwork they've got to do before taking it to a tow yard.

That's definitely the biggest disappointment with CityCentre. They could have done a better job integrating it with Town & Country.

I have to wonder if at some point Town & Country will be redeveloped to be something more like CityCentre. With that being the highway corner between Westchase and the Energy Corridor, we might see some denser and/or taller development pop up there.

I have to wonder if at some point Town & Country will be redeveloped to be something more like CityCentre. With that being the highway corner between Westchase and the Energy Corridor, we might see some denser and/or taller development pop up there.

Possibly, but I would think that there would be a lot of neighborhood resistance to that. Personally, I expect that kind of development will continue along the I-10 corridor heading toward Memorial Hermann.

Possibly, but I would think that there would be a lot of neighborhood resistance to that. Personally, I expect that kind of development will continue along the I-10 corridor heading toward Memorial Hermann.

I'm not so sure neighborhood resistance would be that strong or effective considering the extent of commercial development already in the area. Might be more likely as revised and expanded CityCentre-like retail and apartments vs tall buildings, though.

I think you are right on the continuing development on I-10. Quite a bit is happening the other direction as well. I noticed this weekend that the new large hospital complex on I-10 at Barker-Cypress is branded as TMC - West Campus.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just about to come on here and mention this because I remember the discussion that was going on about it last week. I wouldn't be surpised if more stuff in the area gets torn down and becomes apart of the City Centre/Town Centre development.

City Centre is growing! 

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2013/08/citycentre-to-include-sheraton-hotel/?cmpid=hpts

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My take on the Four Points is something like this:  no matter how many times you reapply lipstick to a pig ...

Perhaps a mid-price hotel would make a nice addition to City Centre, but I'm not sure that exact location would be successful.  Also, it doesn't seem that Midway Co's target demographic would want anyone to think they would settle for "mid-price" anything.  

So ... while I admit that I'm not in a position to give a cost/benefit analysis of such a project, I think the FP location is significantly less than ideal for a hotel in either the mid or high ranges.  But, nevertheless, it's there.  Would it make more sense to demolish it and put that particular parcel to other use?  

• Like 1

I think that they'll renovate it and integrate it into the project.  Makes complete sense to have a mid-price hotel attached to it.

They have a modest amount of conference space there as well.  That will prove usefull as things develop, especially if they rennovate and expand it.

• Like 1

They have already made one modification. They removed the smaller "At Memorial City" signs underneath the "Sheraton Four Points" signs on the building. I always thought that was kind of strange since the hotel is next to City Centre and Memorial City is a couple of miles away. 

The history and competition between Memorial City and Town and Country Center/ Town and Country Mall/ now City Centre is fascinating.  Just one exit apart on I-10, the developments have each had periods of boom and bust, and now it looks like both are thriving.          

Regarding the Sheraton, I haven't been in any of the rooms, but the lobby is very nice. The hotel sure is close to the freeway ramps, though. Somebody that stayed there told me you can still hear the traffic even in the rooms on the non-freeway side.

What's really weird is that little park next to the hotel. I've never seen anybody use it. There's a nice gazebo there, if you don't mind having a picnic underneath the freeway. .  

• Like 1