CityCentre: Mixed-Use Development At 800 Town And Country Blvd.

Parrothead

I wish stuff like this would skip these developments and just go downtown. We all want a vibrant downtown, and stuff like this ends up here. I feel the same about the Improv. 😐

Still happy we are one of the few cities with these now. NY, Chicago, Austin, Atlanta, LA, and us

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/retail/article/Nike-opens-marketplace-of-the-future-in-17008922.php

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 5

52 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I wish stuff like this would skip these developments and just go downtown. We all want a vibrant downtown, and stuff like this ends up here. I feel the same about the Improv. 😐

Still happy we are one of the few cities with these now. NY, Chicago, Austin, Atlanta, LA, and us

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/retail/article/Nike-opens-marketplace-of-the-future-in-17008922.php

They could have even went to the Galleria area 🤦🏽‍♂️

• Like 3

4 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I first interpreted this as saying you wished Midway would've skipped over Town and Country to build CityCentre downtown (didn't see the article at first) but then realized what you were actually saying. I agree with both my first interpretation and what you actually meant. I'm glad Midway went inner loop with East River and just wish they'd quickly start on the next phase of Buffalo Heights. The north side of the Bayou is going to start looking very short compared to the south side!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, texan said:

I first interpreted this as saying you wished Midway would've skipped over Town and Country to build CityCentre downtown (didn't see the article at first) but then realized what you were actually saying. I agree with both my first interpretation and what you actually meant. I'm glad Midway went inner loop with East River and just wish they'd quickly start on the next phase of Buffalo Heights. The north side of the Bayou is going to start looking very short compared to the south side!

Yeah I mean I'm not against CityCentre by any means. I just wish first thoughts would be downtown before any other place in the city. 

2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Yeah I mean I'm not against CityCentre by any means. I just wish first thoughts would be downtown before any other place in the city. 

Nah...you gotta spread the love around.  The population center of Houston is right around that area, anyway.  Plus who wants to slog all the way downtown on the weekend after having to do it during the week?

Edited by august948
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Companies go where the money is. Downtown is not a hopping retail environment, hence why Greenstreet struggled. On the other hand, City Centre has been very successful, and is already an established retail center. The idea is a no brainer, and the only place I even see this concept going besides here is Uptown.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, august948 said:

Nah...you gotta spread the love around.  The population center of Houston is right around that area, anyway.  Plus who wants to slog all the way downtown on the weekend after having to do it during the week?

The population center of the city is 34th and Ella. It should go there! I drive from downtown to around City Center every day, I don't wanna do it on the weekend!

https://kinder.rice.edu/urbanedge/2022/01/13/harris-county-population-suburbs-census

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, august948 said:

I'm having a hard time even understanding your argument. Downtown is still the core of the city and who slogs downtown? A quarter of the population lives in the loop. 

9 hours ago, freundb said:

The population center of the city is 34th and Ella. It should go there! I drive from downtown to around City Center every day, I don't wanna do it on the weekend!

https://kinder.rice.edu/urbanedge/2022/01/13/harris-county-population-suburbs-census

That still has nothing to do with location. Just because you live way outside the loop doesn't mean anything. I don't live close to CityCentre at all but my point is that stuff like this belongs in the city core. If we want downtown to never progress then yeah we can keep avoiding it all together. And not just that, this forum focuses on density. Why would we want something so cool only for people who drive way outside of the city? I'd like to be able to walk to a place like this or even take transit.

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Big E said:

Companies go where the money is. Downtown is not a hopping retail environment, hence why Greenstreet struggled. On the other hand, City Centre has been very successful, and is already an established retail center. The idea is a no brainer, and the only place I even see this concept going besides here is Uptown.

But I guarantee if you provided the retail people want to go to then it would. That's like the same argument people had about a number of developments from Discovery Green to the light rail, hell even Minute Maid Park had it doubters. Greenstreet hasn't been as successful as it can be for a number of reasons, but that's not my argument. And that development still has plenty of room to succeed once population density increases. I guess my point is I don't understand how this forum doesn't push for stuff like this in the core of the city yet at the same time talk about density and more walkable development. Developments like this are what make cities exciting. But if we're ok with companies avoiding the heart of the city, then it will stay stagnant forever.

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I'm having a hard time even understanding your argument. Downtown is still the core of the city and who slogs downtown? A quarter of the population lives in the loop. 

That still has nothing to do with location. Just because you live way outside the loop doesn't mean anything. I don't live close to CityCentre at all but my point is that stuff like this belongs in the city core. If we want downtown to never progress then yeah we can keep avoiding it all together. And not just that, this forum focuses on density. Why would we want something so cool only for people who drive way outside of the city? I'd like to be able to walk to a place like this or even take transit.

I think the population inside the loop is more like south of 10% of the Houston MSA.  Can't find stats yet on 2020, but 2010 had it at 444k vs metro pop of almost 6M.  Inner loop pop peaked in the 60's and has been below that ever since.  Metro pop now is north of 7M.

My point is that there's plenty of stuff inside the loop, yet the vast majority of the population lives outside the loop.  It doesn't make any sense to have everything inside the loop when 90+% lives outside it.  To put everything there would require we rebuild the highway system inside the loop and outside along the lines of the katy freeway rebuild or greater.   Shall we mark you down as an advocate for that?

BTW...CityCentre encompasses at least four apartment complexes in addition to being surrounded by neighborhoods and is just north of the Terry Hershey Park trail which connects neighborhoods west to highway 6 (and beyond, really, since the trails extend all the way through Cinco Ranch).  There are plenty of places to live there if you're feeling restricted living inside the loop.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, freundb said:

Actually, that's the population center of Harris County.  It doesn't include weighting from the rest of the metro area, much of which is west and south of Harris.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, freundb said:

Hmm, so you are saying that Waltrip High school should be replaced by a massive retail complex? That would have an interesting impact on the area, and would be an awesome thought experiment. The area directly West to TC Jester and South to the electrical right of way would need to be included.

• Like 1

@august948 I believe the population of Inner Loop hit over 500,000 in 2020. I think it added around 50,000 people from 2010 to 2020. I’ll have to poke around, but there’s a thread on here. (And at the moment, there’s a thread over on Houston Citydata forum about it) It’s definitely not a huge share of the population of the entire GHA (I think that’s, what, 7 million people?) but it’s certainly growing.

Edited by BEES?!
Typos galore
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2021 at 8:14 PM, Urbannizer said:

Per the unlikeliest of sources (Swoon Memorial magazine), the hotel flag will be an AC Hotel by Marriott. 

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, hindesky said:

Building height and tower crane height.

THF1xwx.png

7fkbjiv.png

This is actually a different building that’s not technically in CityCentre (it’s on the other side of Queensbury). Town Center One is 10-ish floors and has Microsoft and some other offices, and there’s been a sign and rendering in the adjacent lot for years saying “Town Center Two coming summer 2020”. I assumed it was dead, but maybe not? Surprised yet another office building is moving forward in this market, with the one next to the McKinley restarting construction recently and CityCentre Seven supposedly starting soon (and CityCentre Six also in the pipeline). 

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2022/08/29/moody-rambin-town-centre-two.html

2nd office building near Town & Country Village finally coming soon. Should be complete by 2023.

Houston-based Moody Rambin is set to break ground soon on a new 167,141-square-foot office building next to CityCentre and Town & Country Village on the west side of town. The eight-story Town Centre Two will be the latest addition to the company’s Town Centre development, the first phase of which broke ground in 2013. Moody Rambin expects Town Centre Two to be completed by the third quarter of 2023, the company said in a news release. The new building will be located at 730 Town & Country Blvd.

No render yet I guess. The only image is of Town Centre One.