Highland Village Shopping Center At 4055 Westheimer Rd.

59 minutes ago, SMU1213 said:

Crazy that Highland Village's owner's money comes from chemical weapon sales to Iraq...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/opinions/1992/02/09/exporters-of-death/3810097b-cd11-45cf-b284-d72275a611af/

I'm confused, the article says chemicals that can be used in oil production or possibly chemical weapons but where does it actually say they were? It's crazy how this article refers to everywhere as Third World like 50 times lol. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's taking them FOREVER to build it.  And they are causing all kinds of mess in the area.  Hate to say it, but this shopping center in Highland Village is looking very B class.  

I'm surprised the neighborhoods near them are not causing more of an uproar of the mess, and nightly construction.  Do they even have a night work permit for construction??

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2022 at 9:59 AM, Johnathanwise41 said:

It's taking them FOREVER to build it.  And they are causing all kinds of mess in the area.  Hate to say it, but this shopping center in Highland Village is looking very B class.  

I'm surprised the neighborhoods near them are not causing more of an uproar of the mess, and nightly construction.  Do they even have a night work permit for construction??

There's nothing Class B about it. Does it need some upgrades? Sure. I think I made a suggestion a while back about getting a variance to cut some of the parking and really utilize the garage. This construction is the beginning of a major shift for Highland Village. The fact it's going up this many floors can only mean good things for the future of this shopping destination. I'll bet anything that once this is complete, the owners of the center will propose changes. You can only imagine how well a revitalization of the site along with a rebuilt Upper Westheimer would look and feel. Probably similar to that shot of Chicago. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 3

Great, as if traffic isn't already bad enough in that area! J/K. It's going to be a premier store and a nice addition to Houston. BTW, Lulu Lemon might take up the whole 4 stories. I've heard talk that they'll have a restaurant and have yoga/palliates classes in the top floor.

Edited by texas911
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Avossos said:

I would be extremely disappointed in that. Autry Park would be an awesome spot.

I was at first also but I think its better long term. I think RH is better where it is. It's much more accessible there to their "typical" customer and it should halt the decline of Highland Village to build a new flagship. I think Autry Park will have no problem finding more exciting tenants . 

51 minutes ago, iah77 said:

I was at first also but I think its better long term. I think RH is better where it is. It's much more accessible there to their "typical" customer and it should halt the decline of Highland Village to build a new flagship. I think Autry Park will have no problem finding more exciting tenants . 

I tend to agree.  I think an RH similar to the one they built in Dallas would do really well in Highland Village.  Along with the Lululemon destination store, it can really elevate Highland Village... especially with Kimco's vision to build multiple high rises there (assuming that is still the plan post-Weingarten acquisition).

Autry Park needs to land another Equinox or even better Equinox hotel flag since it appears the River Oaks District plans for one are dead.  Aside from a few on West Gray, there is not a high-end fitness club to service the growing population in this general area.  The access to the park and lifestyle this development is hoping to imbue, makes Autry Park an EXCELLENT location for another Equinox-branded project, in my opinion.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, CREguy13 said:

I tend to agree.  I think an RH similar to the one they built in Dallas would do really well in Highland Village.  Along with the Lululemon destination store, it can really elevate Highland Village... especially with Kimco's vision to build multiple high rises there (assuming that is still the plan post-Weingarten acquisition).

Autry Park needs to land another Equinox or even better Equinox hotel flag since it appears the River Oaks District plans for one are dead.  Aside from a few on West Gray, there is not a high-end fitness club to service the growing population in this general area.  The access to the park and lifestyle this development is hoping to imbue, makes Autry Park an EXCELLENT location for another Equinox-branded project, in my opinion.  

Highland Village and River Oaks Shopping Center are two different developments. Kimco owns River Oaks Shopping Center and that is where the multiple high rises were planned. 

Edited by Fortune
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Fortune said:

Highland Village and River Oaks Shopping Center are two different developments. Kimco owns River Oaks Shopping Center and that is where the multiple high rises were planned. 

My understanding is there is a similar vision of more density for Highland Village, as are being currently planned for at River Oaks Shopping Center. I incorrectly mentioned Kimco as the owner of HV, which is the confusion.

Edited by CREguy13

2 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

1 hour ago, Fortune said:

2 minutes ago, CREguy13 said:

Understood.  My understanding is there was similar vision of more density for Highland Village, as are being currently planned for at River Oaks Shopping Center. 

But to be clear, Kimco does not own Highland Village. Yes, I think HV has a vision for more density, but I don't think we've seen anything to suggest a vision for high-rises at HV.

21 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

But to be clear, Kimco does not own Highland Village. Yes, I think HV has a vision for more density, but I don't think we've seen anything to suggest a vision for high-rises at HV.

Haidar Barbouti's vision is definitely to have high rises as a part of Highland Village. He's been talking to developers for over a decade about trying to get one done. The conversations just haven't gone anywhere.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Texasota said:

That suggests either incompetence or a lack of actual interest in building towers, no?

I mean the Lululemon flagship store is def an indicator of things to come. I've said this in previous comments but don't be surprised to see a redevelopment of the entire site very soon, similar to what River Oaks District is doing. 

3 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I mean the Lululemon flagship store is def an indicator of things to come. I've said this in previous comments but don't be surprised to see a redevelopment of the entire site very soon, similar to what River Oaks District is doing. 

I know they have plans to "go vertical" such as they are doing with the Lululemon store, but that does not necessarily mean high-rise... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Similar to what River Oaks District is doing? All River Oaks District is doing is adding a pocket park, updating the sidewalks, and landscaping. 

1 minute ago, Fortune said:

Similar to what River Oaks District is doing? All River Oaks District is doing is adding a pocket park, updating the sidewalks, and landscaping. 

Yeah they're maximizing their space for people, that's my point. That pocket park at the moment is a regular street. HV could benefit from losing some of their surface parking and converting it in to something else similar to that. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Texasota said:

That suggests either incompetence or a lack of actual interest in building towers, no?

My guess is one of two things: 1) the retail is too valuable so the value he wants to put the land in for a development deal is too high or 2) Haidar is difficult.

Edited by SMU1213

3 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Yeah they're maximizing their space for people, that's my point. That pocket park at the moment is a regular street. HV could benefit from losing some of their surface parking and converting it in to something else similar to that. 

Oh ok. No high-rises, just a better pedestrian realm. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like the builder has quit.  

This shopping center needs a massive clean up.  Sidewalks are poor, parking lots are not maintained and full of litter, garbage bins overflowing, and so many empty stores.  It's not pedestrian friendly at all.  With the slow moving pace of this developer, it will never be as nice as River Oaks district.  River Oaks district shopping center is much much nicer.  

• Like 5