Highland Village Shopping Center At 4055 Westheimer Rd.

You know, this weekend as i drove by Highland Village and River Oaks District and even walked around the galleria it was (to me personally) almost offensive that so many of these businesses are still boarded up...

without getting political i will say that this is a huge time of change and our city and businesses need to show more faith. We live in such an amazing city with a diverse group of incredible people. I hope these boards come down ASAP...

Btw, I love Houston and so proud to be born and live here if you can't tell. 

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, gene said:

You know, this weekend as i drove by Highland Village and River Oaks District and even walked around the galleria it was (to me personally) almost offensive that so many of these businesses are still boarded up...

without getting political i will say that this is a huge time of change and our city and businesses need to show more faith. We live in such an amazing city with a diverse group of incredible people. I hope these boards come down ASAP...

Btw, I love Houston and so proud to be born and live here if you can't tell. 

Did you see the amount of high-end shopping centers looted last week? 

Scottsdale fashion Square in Phoenix , Lenox Square Atlanta ,  The Bravern in Seattle , SoHo in NYC, Nieman Marcus and forty five ten in Dallas?  

and?

Yes but not in Houston...and our city was having peaceful protests...and to that point, when do you exactly think the boards should come down? today? tomorrow? a year? 5 years?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gene said:

and?

Yes but not in Houston...and our city was having peaceful protests...and to that point, when do you exactly think the boards should come down? today? tomorrow? a year? 5 years?

Largely peaceful ***

Did you see the looted Veriozon downtown and the attempt to loot Forever 21 in Gallaria?

Stop trying to tell people how to protect their own property. The boards can come down when the store manager of each store feels SAFE. 

You think they like loosing all this business with the boards? They are literally fearful for their livelihood. 

• Like 2

your response is very telling...

and while we may not agree, no need for the angry defensive post. just saying :) 

and one note...60 percent of the stores are boarded up so not all are fearful of their lives or livelihood including Apple, Escalantes and more...

Edited by gene
added info
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, gene said:

your response is very telling...

and while we may not agree, no need for the angry defensive post. just saying :) 

and one note...60 percent of the stores are boarded up so not all are fearful of their lives or livelihood including Apple, Escalantes and more...

Well said and good factual evidence to support it as well !

Plus, let's not gloss over the fact that, and due to good reporting by legitimate media sources in the past couple of weeks, we've learned that the huge vast majority of protesters in all big cities being discussed and others going on right now have been extremely peaceful.  That is a fact as witnessed by the people there, the news media, genuine photography and impartial observers.  It is only certain extremist elements and powerful wealthy influence out of Washington DC that have caused or incited or paid for or whatever you want to call it, far right wing almost Nazi like white youth, including those from well known white supremacist groups, to stir up trouble by infiltrating various protests in cities around the country to act as "seeds" of violence in each organized protest.  This, obviously is so that the FALSE narrative that "all protestors are looters and thugs and we should use the military to remove them" is given examples and reinforced by hate groups.  And that's an overly kind paraphrasing of what exactly we've all heard on the nightly national news since the protests began.  It sickens me that there are even a handful of this kind of destructive riff-raff out there in our country that would go along with this false narrative and cause such hostility, destruction and further racial animosity and hatred.  So, I commend media like CNN and The Washington Post, and other high profile media outlets for doing the hard work to get to the bottom of what we've all been told VERSUS what we have witnessed with our very own eyes which is so very different and peaceful.  That is, with the (very much planned) exception of that small group of inciters and racists or others that would work against peaceful protesting in key coastal big cities, if it means that all of this "peacefulness" does not represent their extreme far right racist views and their idea that protestors are all bad people and rioters and looters and thugs.  In reality, the truth is the truth and the lies are being shoved down our throats by politicians in extreme power and influence.  Yet, I can tell that many many millions of people are waking up and realizing the truth and that our right to free speech and peaceful demonstrations, far outweighs the extremists' ability to spit out lie after lie and continue to not be called out and punished for it.

And no, Houston's protests have largely and overwhelmingly been peaceful despite the actions of a tiny few bad apples, and you can guess where that influence probably came from.  Not to say 100% peaceful, but way up close to that.  What the local corporate owned TV media chooses to focus on in their broadcasts daily, does not mean that what is being reported is representative of reality.  See for yourself and go to witness Houston's protests, as well as those of other large cities and then come back on this forum and provide bona-fide proof that these protests themselves, are causing hate and destruction with each demonstration.  If that were the case, we would have TENS of millions of criminals residing in each one of our big cities in America and around the world that feel EXACTLY the same way and condone hate and destruction and violence.  No, not only do I know that is a false narrative, but I, too, see ZERO evidence to support that assumption anywhere in the world.

• Like 1

haha @Montrose1100 ...I think Crate & Barrel may still be boarded up but from what i hear they may be open this week or weekend...so stay tuned.

until then if you need to borrow some non-breakable cookware, i got you!

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

Just now, ArtNsf said:

No, its all part of the discussion.  Those of us that did however, discuss it, chose to end it yesterday long before your demand.  Thank you. 

Well then thank you so much for ending it for me. So thoughtful of you. In that case, I preemptively stopped any further discussion in case anyone else wanted to add something. Thank you.

Good news is that this morning they were taking down more plywood so all that is left covered in Highland Village is Pottery Barn, Xfinity and Vineyard Vines and i bet those are uncovered today or tomorrow! SO... @Montrose1100 go get that cookware!!! :) 

(River Oaks District is now about 70 percent uncovered as well and think it is safe to say that all if not almost all the stores will be uncovered by the weekend!)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Triton said:

Well then thank you so much for ending it for me. So thoughtful of you. In that case, I preemptively stopped any further discussion in case anyone else wanted to add something. Thank you.

LOL looks like you got the last word !  Oops, maybe not so much...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Signage for Cole Haan was removed in the last week or so. All of the FedEx delivery notes on the door since the shutdown indicate that no one ever returned. Likely shut down for good. Also, doesn’t look like Alma survived more than the couple of weeks post-opening. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, kennyc05 said:

How would you change it up?

I'd widen the sidewalks and kill some of the parking lots. Turn those in to gathering spots to sit and grab a coffee. Make one of the lots a small park for kids. Unless the lots plus the parking garage make up the "necessary' amount of parking by the city. Which would be insane. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I'd widen the sidewalks and kill some of the parking lots. Turn those in to gathering spots to sit and grab a coffee. Make one of the lots a small park for kids. Unless the lots plus the parking garage make up the "necessary' amount of parking by the city. Which would be insane. 

I believe they have said they have plans or are making plans to make the center more pedestrian-friendly and cohesive. . .   But to be fair, this is one place where you can't really claim they have large surplus of parking.  It tends to be be pretty tight there.

• Like 4

There’s a parking garage behind PF Chang’s, a lot across the RR tracks, and a covered lot behind Jos A Bank which almost always have adequate parking. The two lots can all easily be expanded via garage and the frontage parking can be eliminated for more pedestrian programming. 

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

That would be a really good look!

• Like 4

I would take a page from the renovations done at Uptown Park.  I'm really impressed with how they took what was once a very suburban shopping center with way too much parking and created these walkable, terraced barriers that nicely segregate the area.  It's still not as ideal as what could be done with a brand new construction, but it's a good case study in how to use what you've got.  I also like the repainting to whites and grays.  If they did something like that in Highland Village, I think it would go a long way to making the area more cohesive and walkable.

• Like 5

• The title was changed to Highland Village Shopping Center Developments
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...