Highland Village Shopping Center At 4055 Westheimer Rd.

Not exactly Highland Village, but close...

Cyclone Anaya's is moving into the location formerly occupied by Frank's.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/cyclone-anayas-mexican-kitchen-river-oaks-location/

I love the pic in the article, people milling around the front of it, strolling around the area. I guess they're going to relocate the 6 lanes of Westheimer that happen to be in front of this location.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, astrohip said:

Not exactly Highland Village, but close...

Cyclone Anaya's is moving into the location formerly occupied by Frank's.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/cyclone-anayas-mexican-kitchen-river-oaks-location/

I love the pic in the article, people milling around the front of it, strolling around the area. I guess they're going to relocate the 6 lanes of Westheimer that happen to be in front of this location.

Or 4 lanes of traffic plus a turn lane, but who’s cutting?  All of Westheimer inside the loop is slowly becoming more and more pedestrian-friendly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Or 4 lanes of traffic plus a turn lane, but who’s cutting?  All of Westheimer inside the loop is slowly becoming more and more pedestrian-friendly.

Westheimer from 610 to Highland Village, Wesleyan to Buffalo speedway, and Shepherd to Bagby  is whats left to reconstruct and make a continuous pedestrian friendly street. We're soo close, yet soo far 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2023 at 11:31 AM, SpaceGhost said:

IMG_6407.jpeg

Gonna throw out a possibly unpopular opinion, but here goes:

Non-native palm trees are dumb, and going out of your way to plant more shadeless trees is a telltale sign of landscape architects who have zero intention of using the space they're window-dressing.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, 004n063 said:

Non-native palm trees are dumb, and going out of your way to plant more shadeless trees is a telltale sign of landscape architects who have zero intention of using the space they're window-dressing.

I get what you're saying, but there are some palm trees that are actually native to Texas. You can actually see them growing out of nowhere on its own in Houston. I've seen them growing out of asphalt ground right next to a utility pole. I always see them sprouting from the grown in random places, even breaking through concrete/ asphalt coming from nowhere. 

Now in terms of how they look, I'm sure we can all appreciate how tropical palm trees look and feel. Some of the most famous picturesque streets in California and Florida are palm tree lined, same goes with other areas around the world. We legit have sooooooo much Oak trees, so I actually appreciate the change of scenery. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 004n063 said:

spacer.png

^^^ uhhmm , dude, i'm not at all sure of what is going on in your world, but after fighting the HEAVY/HORRIFIC/CHAOTIC traffic on lower westheimer... driving up to the BEAUTIFUL/STATELY/GRACEFUL/ELEGANT palm trees located at highland village... ALWAYS presents me with an instant calming effect.  i absolutely LOVE the way that they look... standing so very TALL/MAJESTIC/STATELY.  imo, they make the entire area around them seem so very posh and elegant.  heck, i wish we had even MORE OF THEM...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I mean, I'd have no problem with them if they were mixed in with actual shade trees.

But it's really not important to me. Happened to take the 82 for an errand yesterday, so I saw them and saw the post. But I never go there and the lack of shade there doesn't actually impact my life in any way whatsoever. Fancyland can do what it wants with its money.

And I can be as judgey as I want about it. 🤠

Edited by 004n063
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 004n063 said:

Houston should only have palm trees on 45 South, none west of downtown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 004n063 said:

Good thing folks in Hawaii didn't take that attitude. Hawaii has only one native palm species.

There is no problem planting palms as long as done intelligently. There are many palms which can take our winter beside the Sabal minor: Pindo, European fan, Windmill, Lady palms, California Fan, several Sabal species as grown at Highland village. Look at all the palms in New Orleans and Pensacola. I think they give these places a certain tropical look. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Highland Village Shopping Center At 4055 Westheimer Rd.
  • 3 weeks later...

How is the city allowing the owner of that shopping center to be a nuisance to all the people who drive through Lynn Park on Drexel and on Westheimer with the construction halting and using the city's sidewalk?

Further, the parking garage in that center looks hazardous.  Looks like it's about to fall.  How are they getting away with it?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Johnathanwise41 said:

How is the city allowing the owner of that shopping center to be a nuisance to all the people who drive through Lynn Park on Drexel and on Westheimer with the construction halting and using the city's sidewalk?

a) because the City of Houston (in general) does not care about traffic nuisances, walkability, or inconveniences to its citizens... but maybe if the white folk make enough noise they will....

b) see item (a)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/11/2023 at 3:10 PM, Johnathanwise41 said:

Further, the parking garage in that center looks hazardous.  Looks like it's about to fall.  How are they getting away with it?

That parking garage is a waste. They could eliminate so much surface parking and meet minimums parking requirements. 

On 7/11/2023 at 3:36 PM, EndUser said:

a) because the City of Houston (in general) does not care about traffic nuisances, walkability, or inconveniences to its citizens... but maybe if the white folk make enough noise they will....

b) see item (a)

Partly because the city is just plain lazy. I joined Bike Houston to help clean up a section of bike path on Chartres St this weekend that took less than an hour. It makes you realize how much the city doesn't do. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it’s actually any meaningful progress, but there is definitely work going on at the previously halted flagship Lulu Lemon construction site. There’s some new-ish bright red foam board insulation (I think that’s what it is anyway) on the Westheimer side, and multiple workers on site doing something on the upper levels 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2023/08/11/boll-branch-first-texas-location-highland-village.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_27&cx_artPos=8#cxrecs_s

"Luxury bed linen retailer Boll & Branch has opened its first standalone store in Texas in Houston’s Highland Village.

Summit, New Jersey-based Boll & Branch leased an 1,868-square-foot space at 3930 Westheimer Road for its newest location. The store opened Aug. 5.

Names of the brokers who negotiated the lease and the companies that worked on the store's renovation were not immediately available.

Boll & Branch targeted Houston for the new store because Texas is one of the company's largest markets, alongside its home state of New Jersey, Audrey Miller, senior vice president of stores for Boll & Branch, said in an email."

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/3/2023 at 11:03 AM, asubrt said:

Not sure if it’s actually any meaningful progress, but there is definitely work going on at the previously halted flagship Lulu Lemon construction site. There’s some new-ish bright red foam board insulation (I think that’s what it is anyway) on the Westheimer side, and multiple workers on site doing something on the upper levels 

It appears this has hit another gear. A lot more glass than I remember and people working on a Saturday. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, SpaceGhost said:

Update: Traffic lights are up at Suffolk and Westheimer but are not yet active. The median has been completed, and Christmas lights are up on all the palms. Work has started on the parking garage, mostly hanging tarps on the side.

I drove by to see Christmas lights with the family yesterday. Westheimer from Post Oak to Highland Village was decorated very beautifully! I really wish the Highland village aesthetic extended past Weslayan. Right at the Weslayan and Westheimer light, its like night & day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned
  • 5 weeks later...

It is really coming along...so good to see that the building is really happening and getting close to completion...my guess is a summer to early fall opening? now can we get some cool businesses to fill up the empty Ra end of the plaza and get a good restaurant where PF Chang's use to be.

THEN lets talk about elevating the train tracks 🙃 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1