Retail Center At 1102 Yale St.

Lynne77009

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a sign for "Anytime Fitness" opening up in the renovated Eckard's on 11th at Yale. Anyone know anything about them? It looks like they have subdivided the building although there is only the one entrance.

Pretty vague, are they trying to play off at 24 hour mantra. Can you workout anytime there? I assume they plan to be open all day.

Yes, it's a 24 hour place.

The website is all fluff, nothing about rate plans. -_-

Edited by Pumapayam

I saw a sign for "Anytime Fitness" opening up in the renovated Eckard's on 11th at Yale. Anyone know anything about them? It looks like they have subdivided the building although there is only the one entrance.

Wow... I've been looking into a gym membership and that's like a half block from me. I was wondering what they were going to do w/ that place.

• 1 month later...

The sign is gone after Ike...but I hope this turns out well. It's the closest place to me (except for one, I'll mention in a moment) and looks promising.

Some links to others in the franchise that post pics and prices:

http://www.anytimefitnessutah.com/rates.php

http://www.lindonfitness.com/rates.php

And the place I found the most reviews, good and bad, despite the name of the site is:

http://anytime-fitness.pissedconsumer.com/

The new club of course really depends on the local owner, since its a franchise, so we shall see -- however, the corporate site does mention "Our exclusive systems integration allows you to run a safe and secure 24-hour operation with dramatically lower, if not completely eliminated, payroll costs." so they probably vary wildly.

Prices seem a little high to me, considering its basically a self service equipment room -- but its also a few blocks away. :) (Might be a little off topic for this forum, but I've always thought Slava Boxing & Fitness (http://www.slavaboxing.com) looked interesting -- seems more about fitness than boxing, right at 610 and Yale. Anyone been there?)

Cheers!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Any updates on this? It does not look like anything is going on there.

The place is open now... and their prices are a little... outrageous.

For month to month basis -

$200 (first 3 months and a $50 sign up fee) and then $50 a month after the 3 months.

For contract - I think, but I know they are close.

12 months up front $600 ($45 a month)

18 months up front $720 ($40 a month)

Anyone know how they can get away with these prices? I understand trying to turn a profit but I pay 30 a month and have everything from a pool to basketball courts with free classes and tons and tons of room. Nice equipment but not worth it for that price.

The place is open now... and their prices are a little... outrageous.

For month to month basis -

$200 (first 3 months and a $50 sign up fee) and then $50 a month after the 3 months.

For contract - I think, but I know they are close.

12 months up front $600 ($45 a month)

18 months up front $720 ($40 a month)

Anyone know how they can get away with these prices? I understand trying to turn a profit but I pay 30 a month and have everything from a pool to basketball courts with free classes and tons and tons of room. Nice equipment but not worth it for that price.

I pay $55 for citywide YMCA. Downtown YMCA only is $52.

I pay $55 for citywide YMCA. Downtown YMCA only is $52.

This gets you access to any ANYTIME Fitness across the nation... I pay $31 on a month to month basis with no contract and have access to all 24HF across the US. I just think the rates are a wee bit too high for the amenities provided.

• 2 months later...
did you "hear" that when you read the link a few replies ahead of yours? smile.gif

I hear it might be the same people that own Dragon Bowl. wink.gif

I hear it's a pizza with noodles concept. Who needs a red sauce when you have hoisin?

Edited by Porchman

From fredeatshouston.com:

Ken Bridge is at it again.

The Heights restaurant genius (Dragon Bowl Asian Bistro, Pink's Pizza) is up to his usual tricks with a new venture which should add some culinary depth to the old neighborhood.

Lola.

Lola is located in the 1100 Block of Yale at the intersection with 11th Street. Sitting on the NE corner, Lola will fill the space across the street from the post office that has been empty for many months. (I can't tell you how many times my wife and I have commented to each other that it would be a great spot for a restaurant) For years, Eckerd Drugs made the corner it's home, but the building was vacated when Eckerd closed and it fell into disrepair.

Recently, however, the structure was purchased and fully renovated. A health club has already moved into the North corner becoming the building's first tenant.

Mr. Bridge's vision is a full-service restaurant serving three squares a day to the neighborhood folks. "Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be served seven days a week." he states. A welcome change in an area where most places close on Sunday.

Fresh, local ingredients and on-the-spot preparation will be key, as in Mr. Bridge's other ventures.

The star at breakfast will be omelets "made-to-order" for patrons who will have a dazzling list of ingredient choices ranging from broccoli to prosciutto and everything in between. Lunch and dinner will feature American comfort foods at "small-town" prices right here in the big city.

Mr. Bridge hopes to obtain a club license, much like Shade on 19th, so that guests will be able to enjoy an adult beverage with a meal by joining the club rather than having to carry a bottle along with them to dinner.

An opening date is not yet firm, but Ken and his team can be seen daily working to get the space ready for business and the sign is already up announcing the new diner to passersby.

In addition to being a landmark hit song from the 70's, Lola, it appears, will soon be a landmark diner in The Heights. I will be first in line.

Edited by modgirl

Thanks so much for putting The Kinks song into my head so early this morning. It will rest there and the chorus will churn in my brain for the next several hours. "L-O-L-A Looooooola"

For some reason, I keep hearing 'Destroyer', also by the Kinks, instead.

Met a girl called lola and I took her back to my place

Feelin guilty, feelin scared, hidden cameras everywhere

Stop! hold on. stay in control.

Sounds like a healthy Pig Stand. And walking distance! I can dig it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I stopped by on Sunday night and chatted with the operator of Lola's. Looks like they're going to try to open up tonight or tomorrow.\

He handed me a menu and it looked pretty good-- upscale diner/comfortish food (can chilean sea bass be comfort food?)

Looks like it'll be hard to leave under $15 even for lunch. However, if the food tastes as good as the descriptions, it'll be worth it-- some tasty sounding menu items are there. It looks great on the inside and will have outdoor seating under shade and fans!

I'm going to try to check it out later this week.

I stopped by on Sunday night and chatted with the operator of Lola's. Looks like they're going to try to open up tonight or tomorrow.\

He handed me a menu and it looked pretty good-- upscale diner/comfortish food (can chilean sea bass be comfort food?)

Looks like it'll be hard to leave under $15 even for lunch. However, if the food tastes as good as the descriptions, it'll be worth it-- some tasty sounding menu items are there. It looks great on the inside and will have outdoor seating under shade and fans!I'm going to try to check it out later this week.

this is key! i am so looking forward to it.

I ate there yesterday for lunch. They just had a few of their items available. The entire menu looks delicious! Very cool, clean atmosphere with great windows. I felt like the prices were reasonable. Breakfast seemed like it would be a little pricey, but their lunch menu (I had a steak sandwich, fries, and a drink and it ran me $13) and dinner selections looked to be reasonable ($11-$15). My sandwich was great and the fries were good (a little too salty for me). Can't wait to go back.