Highland Village Shopping Center At 4055 Westheimer Rd.

9 hours ago, Justin Welling said:

Heard from a friend who has info, said they had to pause due to a delay with the glass arriving. Typical supply chain issues. 

But still doesn’t explain the lack of activity. Leaving a building like that open to the elements can’t be good…

1 hour ago, EndUser said:

But still doesn’t explain the lack of activity. Leaving a building like that open to the elements can’t be good…

It's literally just I-Beams and cement, a few months won't do anything. What are they supposed to do, cover it in a giant tarp?

• Like 6

On 9/11/2022 at 10:22 PM, Justin Welling said:

Heard from a friend who has info, said they had to pause due to a delay with the glass arriving. Typical supply chain issues. 

I would check your source. If you look into the liens filed against HVLP they seem to have a problem with non payment. I would be willing to bet this is why there hasn't been any work in a while.

https://www.levelset.com/projects/texas/houston/4007-westheimer-rd-houston-tx-77027/

Edited by EndUser
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• The title was changed to Highland Village Shopping Center History
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, Johnathanwise41 said:

Can anything be done to push for the work to get finished so the construction mess is cleaned up?

There is nothing any ordinary person can do to either move construction along or clean up the construction mess unless you are directly inconvenienced in some way (you are the owner of the property next door and their delays and messes are directly hindering your business operations). Other than that not a lot available to your average person. I suspect if you were to file a suit you might have it thrown out due to lack of standing alone. None of this is legal advice, and know that I'm not a lawyer.

On 11/30/2022 at 12:15 PM, Paco Jones said:

Until the liens are taken care of I wouldn't expect any work to continue.

BTW, Google the owner of Highland Village...

If there are still mechanic liens which still have yet to be resolved then @Johnathanwise41 there are a lot more problems on this job then whether you are personally inconvenienced. This could either be disagreements between the Owner and Contractor, Owner and Architect, Architect and Contractor or all three, or a concern over money. Who knows. There are so many reasons a job can stop out of nowhere.

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This stretch of Westheimer is getting minor upgrades! I'm not sure the exact details, but from what I've seen over the weekend, it looks like they're expanding the sidewalks and they've added medians! Really hope they install traffic light arm masts because the string of street lights is not cutting it.  

Also, side note, still no activity at the Lulu building 

Edited by Amlaham
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I drive this almost daily. What they've done is eliminate the center turn lane for the stretch from the Apple store (Drexel St) to the RR tracks. It now has a curbed median, and based on the extensive infrastructure they're putting in the medians, will probably have lighting and landscaping (ie, not just grass).

They've added dedicated left turn lanes in a few spots, to replace the loss of the center turn lane, for drivers on Westheimer. But there are no new traffic lights, which means trying to turn left onto Westheimer (from side streets & store parking lots) will be harder than ever. Before you could cross the near lanes, and enter the center turn lane, and sit there and wait for an opening. Now they've eliminated that possibility, and it's already causing problems for people trying to enter and go left on Westheimer from cross streets and parking lots. They would've been better off just not allowing that, and force people to use the traffic lights to cross.

And the abandoned store construction (Lululemon?) still sits... forsaken and deserted.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting. Looking at photos posted here in May, it looks like they choose Butt Glazed Curtain Wall. This is when the Curtain wall is supporting the glass structurally from the inside and the glazing on the outside is married together with a kind of epoxy that binds both ends of the glazing. Its a much more expensive form of curtain wall than your typical standard curtain wall.

There are a number of reasons why they could be dismantling the system:

- During the process of installation, costs to erect the rest of the system would go over budget, and now they are in the process of subbing this system with a move cost-effective system.

- During the process of installation, it was notified to the architect that while part of the order arrived on time, the rest of the system still has a long lead time which would further delay the project, and in order to get the project on schedule it might have been decided between the Architect, Contractor, and Owner to sub the system for one which has less lead time.

- Upon installation of the system, the architect reviewed the system, found that either the system was installed not in accordance with the contract documents (construction documents) (this can be for any reason btw), and has ordered the system to be dismantled either to be reattached or find a system that matches better with the contract documents.

- Upon installation of the system, the structural engineer reviewing the system, found either structural deficiencies (bad connections, poor quality construction, or the construction was not in accordance with the contract documents, and has ordered the system to be dismantled.

- There are so many RFI's related to the erection of the system, or how the system is attached to the framing, that the architect has concluded that the contractor does not have the staff or experience to finish the system and has chosen to replace it with a system that is easier to construct.

- There are so many RFI's related to the depiction of the system or its details (either because there is a lack of details, not detailed correctly, or there was a failure in coordination between architecture and structure), that the architect has decided to replace it with a system that is easier to construct.

- Upon review of the system, or glazing, or structural connections via submittals, the architect has noticed that either the system itself, or the glazing, or the structural connections do not meet the requirements noted in the specifications, and has rejected the submittals (which in this case would have included shop drawings.)

- The owner on a whim (yes this does happen), after seeing the partially constructed system, has decided to unilaterally replace this system with another system to there liking. It could also be that even though everything is on the up and up construction wise its not just the owner who wants to replace this system on a whim, but also the architect wants to replace the system on a whim.

These are just a few of possibly many different reasons why this might be dismantled. While this is a pain to watch for everyone in this forum, including myself, take this as crash course in building construction, both what to do, and what not to do. With all this being said, I have no internal knowledge of what is going on. All of what I have said is an educational guess from inferring what I see in photographs, and from my professional experience. It could be all of these, other less common reasons, or none of the reasons.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

yikes! but wow @Luminareyou are smart and stuff! 🙃...it is so crazy that it has been sitting there as a shell for so long...and you are probably right in one of your theories! I hope they can get back to creating something awesome instead of dismantling it! 😩

anyway, in exciting news, The Houston Post has reported that in the meantime they will cover all window openings with giant spider webs and make it a Spirit Halloween Superstore July through October...

halloween artists on tumblr GIF by Animation Domination High-Def

🤪

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

It could also mean that, based on the amount of liens for non-payment on this project, that there is a new contractor who might not have access to the balance of the system, submittals, etc. and simply cannot use the existing system…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, EndUser said:

It could also mean that, based on the amount of liens for non-payment on this project, that there is a new contractor who might not have access to the balance of the system, submittals, etc. and simply cannot use the existing system…

The first part is probably true, which I pointed out a while back. The second part is half right. At this point they probably have rebid the project and selected a new contractor, or if that hasn't happened then the current contractor / owner have renegotiated the existing contract. As for the last part, thats not what would take place. Often times that info is simply passed on to the next contractor, though I could be wrong in specific circumstances. It is true that if the project has been rebid then that means a bunch of sub-contractors, possibly manufacturers for products which will require a new round of submittals for most things anyway. Everything that has already been processed though should be backed up by the Architect, so it can crossed referenced if their are any questions. No doubt whatever is going on its a mess. Changing Contractors mid-project is always crazy and a mess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pure speculation but looking at it in the hundreds of times I’ve driven past it (and if you look at some of the old photos posted on this thread) it appeared to me it could’ve been a mess up in the designs / plans. The metal framing hanging on the side of the building that was installed to cover the mechanical (pipes / hvac etc) dropped from the ceiling appeared to go too low, in that it was visible / obstructing what I assume was intended to be floor to ceiling windows. Almost like the windows were too tall for the floor height and needed a smaller segment of windows above it for the section of drop ceiling / floor. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1