Highland Village Shopping Center At 4055 Westheimer Rd.

2 hours ago, mollusk said:

Yikes - closed for two or three months... as if Galleria and Memorial City weren't already packed enough. 

If they would only open one downtown...

There's always Android. Come to the dark side...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got an email from Apple:
"Visit Apple Highland Village at our new location, opening on September 20 at 8:00 a.m. "

FYI! :)

(although not a new location but a newly designed store as we know!)

Edited by gene
  • Like 2

Houston City Council approves creation of Highland Village management district

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/city-county/2019/09/18/highland-village-management-district/

Houston businessman Haidar Barbouti already owns all the commercial property in the shopping center on Westheimer Road in between Drexel Road and the Union Pacific Railroad line, known collectively as Highland Village. Now he plans to transform the public infrastructure along that strip too.

In 2017, the Texas Legislature designated Highland Village a management district, which is a special government entity that can issue bonds that are paid back through an assessment, or fee, applied to commercial properties within its boundaries. Management districts can also implement services such as landscaping and maintenance, adopt branding and offer other services. 

After receiving the state’s designation, a management district in Houston must receive approval from the city before gaining the authority to issue bonds. Houston City Council voted to authorize the district Sept. 18.

Over the last two years, various consultants have worked with a state-appointed board of managers to develop a plan for improvements within the district, said David Hawes, senior partner of Hawes, Hill and Associates, a firm that consults with management districts and other economic development entities. 

A draft plan for the district includes improvements to Westheimer Road and the sidewalks along it as well as a plan to reposition parking within the shopping center to create a more dense, walkable area, Hawes said.

“The big issue is mobility here,” he said. “Over the years, they’re going to go vertical with this development and the primary concern is in public safety and vehicular mobility in and around that area.” 

In other management districts, 50 percent of commercial property owners within the boundaries of the district must approve approve of the district’s service plan and its accompanying tax assessment, Texas local government code states. 

In this case however, Barbouti is the only property owner within the district’s boundaries, meaning he will need to put plans through a public comment period and can apply amendments based on comments. However, he does not have to coordinate with other commercial property owners to get the plans approved.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Andes Café owner plans new Highland Village restaurant

https://m.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Andes-Cafe-owner-plans-new-Highland-Village-14485664.php

Highland Village may soon be dining to a multi-cultural Latin beat thanks to chef David Guerrero. The owner of Andes Café in EaDo has announced plans to take over the space of the current Drexel House, 3974 Westheimer, to create an upscale pan-Latin restaurant sampling flavors from throughout South America and incorporation Mexican dishes as well.

Think of it, he said, as Andes Café but "a lot more elevated."

The restaurant, which will be called Alma, could be open by end of November, he said.

Houston foodies will recall that Alma – Spanish for "soul" – was the name Guerrero chose for his short-lived modern Peruvian restaurant in the Energy Corridor that he opened in 2012 after downtown's Samba Grille, where he worked as executive chef, abruptly closed. 

• Like 1

Was at Highland Village this weekend...they already have the dang Christmas decorations up! DOH! ;)

but in other news, the Apple store looks amazing inside with the large screen wall (on one side)/mirror (on the other side) divider and the trees!

OH and Z Gallerie closed a few weeks ago but the new owners of the company decided to open the Highland Village location back up so its back to normal at the Z! They just need to put the outside sign back up! 

Edited by gene
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, LBC2HTX said:

Bold prediction.... Ocean 48 (steak 48 sister restaurant) going in here. 

Houston needs a Nike store though. 

orange-nike-logo-png-7.png

^^^ @LBC2HTX i knew that OCEAN 48 was indeed forthcoming.  however, i was thinking that it was primed for another section of ROD.  nonetheless, it shall require prime real estate in basically a "SHOWCASE" area.  i am certain that the food/service shall be exceptional as well as the prices.  additionally, in regards to THE NIKE STORE, i simply cannot understand why a large city such as houston, has not long since harbored one of these popular and swagalicious chain stores.  actually, i think that a NIKE STORE in the BLVD PLACE district would be a powerhouse.  this particular boutique, shall need to reside in a heavily populated shopping area where everyone can see it... in order for it to remain sustainable. 

• Like 2

I view a Nike store the same as Apple stores. They're a destination shopping experience in and of themselves that people are willing to travel for and would increase traffic for adjacent tenants. 

ROD has a lot of prime spaces that are vacant (see the former Tom Ford space), but they seem to have a leasing strategy/team that is struggling to compete with HV and The Galleria. 

• Like 2

man i am glad they are doing something with the Smith & Wollensky building!!! That place is an eye sore...EVEN when it was open! haha! (to me it looked like a Bennigans or some badly designed Irish Pub)

and being such a prominent space/part of Highland Village it's good to see they are finally doing something...it was sad to see it sitting there abandoned so long

• Like 5

On 1/20/2020 at 9:54 AM, gene said:

man i am glad they are doing something with the Smith & Wollensky building!!! That place is an eye sore...EVEN when it was open! haha! (to me it looked like a Bennigans or some badly designed Irish Pub)

and being such a prominent space/part of Highland Village it's good to see they are finally doing something...it was sad to see it sitting there abandoned so long

It actually looks (looked) like the original Smith & Wollensky in NYC.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, gene said:

wow demolition of the whole building?! well i guess that is good...thought it was just going to be a major renovation but not THIS major!!! haha

New building will be 4 stories. Making it the tallest HV building. A crew member told me 5 stories.  I went to the HV office to double check. I was told 4 stories by a staff member.

Demolition should start late next week.   Gutting the interior right now.  Pictures:

q1DeXDX.jpg

Nice tile

md9Hmrn.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pablog said:

I want all of Highland Village demoed and rebuilt up to the sidewalk. Could be a very walkable area, but the parking in front ruins it. 

Never had a problem walking in HV, from one end to the other on both sides.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Ross said:

Never had a problem walking in HV, from one end to the other on both sides.

Well, I mean, if you're gonna go all "there's sidewalks all the way around" on us, sure.

But, but, but... walkability!

At least there's some GFR.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pablog said:

I mean it is walkable haha, but it’s not as enjoyable as it could be if the building went up to the sidewalk. 

The building does go right up to the sidewalk.  Plus, there's another sidewalk along the road.  Surely you aren't advocating reducing the amount of sidewalk by half?

uNGRI1vgS_WK82Cryfpf0w.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, august948 said:

The building does go right up to the sidewalk.  Plus, there's another sidewalk along the road.  Surely you aren't advocating reducing the amount of sidewalk by half?

uNGRI1vgS_WK82Cryfpf0w.jpeg

If you go a little to the left of what's visible in this picture, you would see another building behind this one, separated by a driveway with parked cars on each side. IDK if it's the clientele or what, but navigating HV's parking lots on foot takes Frogger to a new level.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1