Downtown Skyscraper Lighting

ricco67

Wtf, why did they ban lit up corporate logos on the towers?

Because they're tacky and would take away from the architectural signifcance of many buildings.  Ah, remember the rotating Gulf sign atop their building?  That one was cool.

Hotels can still have signage downtown.

The Gulf sign was hardly alone - we also had "T E N N E C O" across the top of its building (now El Paso), Bank of the Southwest on what is now 919 Milam, Central Bank (still there, sorta), Conoco (complete with weather ball)...I'm probably skipping something or another.

Ah, so we can thank the gulf sign for that.. Interesting that while we hated the gulf sign, Dallas embraced their Pegasus sign.

Dallas got lucky - the Pegasus sign is a bit more elegant than the Gulf sign was. Although I loved the Gulf sign at gas stations, particularly the one at Louetta and Stuebner-Airline that I always saw as a kid.

I'd be more for taking down billboards that purposefully block the beautiful skyline with their tackiness than a corporate logo on a building which can show pride for a company and strength for our local economy.

Those are banned too. :)  But it's hard to get rid of them, especially on interstates, because they're protected by federal law.

The Gulf sign was hardly alone - we also had "T E N N E C O" across the top of its building (now El Paso), Bank of the Southwest on what is now 919 Milam, Central Bank (still there, sorta), Conoco (complete with weather ball)...I'm probably skipping something or another.

Some of those really were tasteful, especially the Tenneco one which matched the grid of the building facade just right.

The city is so severe with downtown signage in part because of our bad reputation for billboards. City Hall basically decided while we can't get rid of all the freeway billboards, we sure as hell can control what goes on our downtown buildings, and that's exactly what we're going to do. We will NOT be Sign-town in the one district that matters!

Those are banned too. :)  But it's hard to get rid of them, especially on interstates, because they're protected by federal law.

Just for the record, so that it will accurately reflect that Texas is a place where people have chosen blight, those protections have been overruled where there was the political will to do so.

Personally I don't think Houston should go in the direction of northern neighbor it only accentuates a rivalry between the cities. Perhaps it should take a lesson from Atlanta which has soft lighting that is pleasurable to the eye and sophisticated rather than colorful and messy like Dallas. Don't get me wrong a little color never hurt anyone but since the city cares so much as to even having corporate logos they should take a softer approach on the many architecturally significant buildings like Pennzoil, gulf building,esperson, bank of America, etc. Not that the city government is even considering lighting on downtown skyscrapers.

• Like 1

Most if not all of the Christmas lights on the downtown buildings are permanent.  They are just turned off after the holidays.  I am not sure the exact specifications, but I have been on several downtown roofs and the bulbs look like a regular residential 60/100 watt medium base lamp bulb or globe bulb.  I think most of them are now fluorescent or LED.   

• Like 1

Because they're tacky and would take away from the architectural signifcance of many buildings.  Ah, remember the rotating Gulf sign atop their building? 

I think the reason for the ban on large building signs wasn't just concerns over tackiness.  That was during the energy crisis in the 1970s and it would also have been seen as an energy-saving measure.  

I don't think corporate logos detract from the architectural significance of buildings.  

• Like 3

DT with blue lights like in the Memorial City area would be cool. Mix in some white lights and a couple of massive plasma moving media on the sides of the widest towers, and voila, an impressive nightscape, IMO.

They change color with the season. I drove to nye dinner and they were red and green for Christmas, driving home at 2am they were all different colors of the rainbow.

I hope downtown takes some queues from memorial city.

• Like 1

Historic District Decorative Lighting:

On December 2, 2013, staff met with the City Engineer to confirm requirements and obtain initial concurrence of the project. At this

stage, it has City support. Staff is proceeding with consultant and CenterPoint on issues related to height and attachment to street light poles. The project covers seven blocks in the Historic District surrounding Market Square Park, with LED festoon lights to be strung across the roadway at Congress & Preston (from Main to Milam) and Travis (from Prairie to Franklin)

Although it isn't skyline light, I thought it is cool that the city is doing this to the historic district around Market Square Park.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Don't know but notices Heritage Plaza was now lit the old fashioned way (it's steps) and crews are covering the granite steps with white so odd material. Thye might be cooking up a new lighting scheme now that Brookfield sold it.

I noticed that Hess tower has some kind of light show going up on the top of it this evening also reliant energy plaza was having a raver disco theme last night and Memorial Hermann tower in the TMC is stuck on Rainbow. And then you have the Fulbright Tower with its Christmas lights on.

Is there a game I don't know about?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...
15 minutes ago, enriquewx91 said:

Im not a fan so far of this project, hoping the crown changes my mind. If it lights up extra points, we need more lights in our downtown. (but nothing like Dallas yuck)

I for one envy our bright LED neighbors to the north. Houston needs a little flash. How cool would Heritage Plaza's Mayan Pyramid look if they re-did the lights ala the Dallas Omni.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Montrose1100 said:

I for one envy our bright LED neighbors to the north. Houston needs a little flash. How cool would Heritage Plaza's Mayan Pyramid look if they re-did the lights ala the Dallas Omni.

While I agree that judicious lighting would enhance our skyline, IMO the only thing that would improve Heritage Plaza's appearance is a demolition permit.
It's been 35 years and I still have to suppress a groan whenever I see it.