Downtown Skyscraper Lighting

ricco67

What's up forumers. I think that it's great that our downtown is becoming more of a livable neighborhood. Inspired by the "Dallas Lights Up Another One" thread, i decided to write a letter to Central Houston.

If this has been done before on this forum, i apologize. I'm writing a letter to improve the lighting on Houston's skyline. I was hoping i could get a few of you to write some more letters backing me up on this one. Maybe it will have a better chance of being done. I don't think Houston should strive to be like Dallas or anything like that but we all know that our skyline at night could use some vast improvement.

Here's a sample of what i've written so far:

Hello Mr. Bob Eury,

My name is (my real name) and I am a resident of Houston, TX. I keep up with all the upcoming projects and efforts to revitalize downtown Houston. I want to commend all the efforts that are being made to revitalize the city center such as: Houston Pavilions, Main Street Square, One Park Place, and Discovery Green.

I understand your time is valuable so I�ll be brief. This might not be on the top of your agenda but many visitors, residents, including myself feel that much improvement needs to be made to the current night time lighting of the downtown Houston skyline. During the day, our skyline makes a bold and strong statement saying: �This is Houston, Texas�s largest city.� At night, our skyline becomes an embarrassment. Houston is too big and important of a city for it to have such a dismal and tacky lit skyline at night. I�m not suggesting that our skyline look gaudy like Vegas but just a city with a little more pizzazz and color. It shouldn�t be any more expensive for these companies to operate some nice colorful lighting than it is to use the same white perimeter lighting on top of many downtown buildings. The nation�s 4th largest city should get better treatment than that.

Please consider persuading the business owners to update or change the color of the lighting of the buildings listed. Dallas has plenty of good nighttime buildings to take note from. I think its just one more ingredient to making downtown and all of Houston more recognizable, desirable, and safer place to work and play. If more color is added to our skyline, it will add more character and make Houston more memorable. Please respond to this letter either by the address listed above.

If you all want to support making our City Center look more vibrant. Here is the contact information

Central Houston: Phone #(713)650-3022

Robert Eury

909 Fannin Suite 1650

Houston, TX 77010

FWIW it looks like Wells Fargo could possibly have a bit of a different lighting scheme. It looks almost like an LED is either being tested or malfunctioning beause its one small piece that's on and changing color--similar to the new lighting on the Phoenix

been noticing that too when coming into downtown from south I45

Edited by scarface

FWIW it looks like Wells Fargo could possibly have a bit of a different lighting scheme. It looks almost like an LED is either being tested or malfunctioning beause its one small piece that's on and changing color--similar to the new lighting on the Phoenix Tower.

Say what?

Wells Fargo has always had a sometimes functioning, sometimes not functioning band of white neon around the very top. Are you sure you weren't seeing the Reliant Energy tower with its color changing LED's in the background? It wasn't till after Hurricane Ike those pieces of white neon started to go out.

Edited by Metro Matt

Say what?

Wells Fargo has always had a sometimes functioning, sometimes not functioning band of white neon around the very top. Are you sure you weren't seeing the Reliant Energy tower with its color changing LED's in the background? It wasn't till after Hurricane Ike those pieces of white neon started to go out.

Yes, I'm absolutely sure that it's Wells Fargo, and the one LED piece constantly changes color, just going through the spectrum. It could be a new LED or the LED that was already there just on the fritz (which wouldn't surprise me given the trouble they've been having with those). I thought the lights were neon too until I went to a function at the top of One Shell a few months ago when Wells Fargo's lights were actually on. You can actually see the little lights that make up the LED strips.

Edited by GovernorAggie

Yes, I'm absolutely sure that it's Wells Fargo, and the one LED piece constantly changes color, just going through the spectrum. It could be a new LED or the LED that was already there just on the fritz (which wouldn't surprise me given the trouble they've been having with those). I thought the lights were neon too until I went to a function at the top of One Shell a few months ago when Wells Fargo's lights were actually on. You can actually see the little lights that make up the LED strips.

Yeah, I'll verify this too. The rumor somewhere on here was that the LED on Wells Fargo was damaged by Ike, and the small LED piece that came on was probably malfunctioning due to the damage. I have noticed recently, however, that the same small LED piece has been cycling through different colors. I never saw it cycle through colors when the entire top of WF was lit.

Sorry Governor, I didn't mean to doubt you. I was actually just down in Houston for the weekend & made it a point to check this out. Sure enough, you were right. Those are color changing LED's on top of Wells Fargo Plaza!

Edited by Metro Matt

Yeah, I'll verify this too. The rumor somewhere on here was that the LED on Wells Fargo was damaged by Ike, and the small LED piece that came on was probably malfunctioning due to the damage. I have noticed recently, however, that the same small LED piece has been cycling through different colors. I never saw it cycle through colors when the entire top of WF was lit.

I fear I'm the one who got that rumor started. It wasn't until after Ike though that those white pieces started going out.

Edited by Metro Matt

Sorry Governor, I didn't mean to doubt you. I was actually just down in Houston for the weekend & made it a point to check this out. Sure enough, you were right. Those are color changing LED's on top of Wells Fargo Plaza!

I didn't take it as doubt, so no biggie. As an aside, that one little strip was off last night, IIRC, but I haven't noticed tonight.

• 4 weeks later...

I think I prefer the Red lights atop the JP Chase Bank Building... it looks really nice. They should consider keeping that lighting throughout the year (and using it). It would be especially classy if Chase kept the red, and Enterprise Plaza went back to it's white lights. Would be a nice contrast for the lighting scheme, which is something we haven't seen much of lately. It certainly wouldn't hurt if Wells Fargo decided to rejoin the party and fix its damaged lights too.

Edited by totheskies

• 1 month later...

Did anyone catch that the Chase building has BLUE LED lights now?? They were on briefly tonight!!! Woohoo, downtown is going to get its lighting back!!

My guess is that all of the major towers are now working on replacing their lighting with energy-efficient LEDs. The Chase Building wins the race though, with red, white and blue settings (perfect for Independence day)

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone catch that the Chase building has BLUE LED lights now?? They were on briefly tonight!!! Woohoo, downtown is going to get its lighting back!!

My guess is that all of the major towers are now working on replacing their lighting with energy-efficient LEDs. The Chase Building wins the race though, with red, white and blue settings (perfect for Independence day)

Yeah, that's the first thing I noticed driving in early this morning. Chase's blue LED lights. It is only fitting that one of the tallest buildings in America have lighting at the top.

Would you prefer it to be dark at night?

I have no preference. For the sake of argument, why shouldn't I?

The Empire State Building has lighting. Dallas' tallest building has lighting. Los Angeles' tallest building has lighting. I guess that's how I figure. My opinion. Just sayin'...

So you're arguing that a tall building without decorative lighting defies convention and that a conventional tall building is superior to an exceptional tall building. Is it not equally plausible that the opposite is true?

(All hail the spaghetti monster!)

Edited by TheNiche

So you're arguing that a tall building without decorative lighting defies convention and that a conventional tall building is superior to an exceptional tall building. Is it not equally plausible that the opposite is true?

(All hail the spaghetti monster!)

And that type of reasoning has plagued Houston for years. Not lighting a skyline as powerful, yet, the tallest building could be part of the reason why Houston was overshadowed in the past. You have to have some flash.

And that type of reasoning has plagued Houston for years.

What reasoning? I'm asking for you guys' reasoning, not proffering my own because I don't care. You should try to make me care. If you can make me care, you can probably make others care too and further your cause.

Not lighting a skyline as powerful, yet, the tallest building could be part of the reason why Houston was overshadowed in the past.

Overshadowed by what? To what end?

You have to have some flash.

Must I?

EDIT: In deference to your suggestion, I'm going to change my avatar.

Edited by TheNiche

What reasoning? I'm asking for you guys' reasoning, not proffering my own because I don't care. You should try to make me care. If you can make me care, you can probably make others care too and further your cause.

Well maybe i can't make you care but for example, downtown Houston has got to be one of the blandest looking downtowns in the country at street level due to the stupid ordinance for lack of signs and lighting displays at street level. I'll give credit to Bayou Place, Main Street, Houston Pavilions, and the areas around Discovery Green for doing it but the fact that too much of downtown has no lighting displays at street level creates a giant VOID between these areas. People complain of often feeling unsafe while walking these between voids.

Also the lack of skyscraper lighting at night makes downtown look devoid of character. If i was a visitor, I would think the TMC and the Uptown/Galleria area is where the action is at night, definitely not downtown. Downtown sits in a shadow of these areas at night. Even though i'm glad they quit with the cheap white christmas lights, it still looks like a black hole.

Overshadowed by what? To what end?

Please don't make me go there.

EDIT: In deference to your suggestion, I'm going to change my avatar.

:lol: funny

Edited by C2H

Well maybe i can't make you care but for example, downtown Houston has got to be one of the blandest looking downtowns in the country at street level due to the stupid ordinance for lack of signs and lighting displays at street level. I'll give credit to Bayou Place, Main Street, Houston Pavilions, and the areas around Discovery Green for doing it but the fact that too much of downtown has no lighting displays at street level creates a giant VOID between these areas. People complain of often feeling unsafe while walking these between voids.

Seriously? Seriously!? :blink:

Also the lack of skyscraper lighting at night makes downtown look devoid of character. If i was a visitor, I would think the TMC and the Uptown/Galleria area is where the action is at night, definitely not downtown. Downtown sits in a shadow of these areas at night. Even though i'm glad they quit with the cheap white christmas lights, it still looks like a black hole.

Is that what visitors do; they look for tall lighted-up buildings and embark upon a nighttime pilgrimage there in search of "action"?

Give me a break, C2H.

Seriously?

Seriously!? :blink:

YES, SERIOUSLY!!!

Is that what visitors do; they look for tall lighted-up buildings and embark upon a nighttime pilgrimage there in search of "action"?

Give me a break, C2H.

No Niche you give yourself one. Don't try to blow what I said out of proportion. Yes, visitors are attracted to light and flash. I'm not saying that they only look for lit-up buildings but you can't deny that they're not attention-getters, or maybe YOU can. They also serve as landmarks to help navigate around the city.

So that's why Houston can't attract very many tourists! We haven't been targeting the moth demographic!

• Like 1

Yes, visitors are attracted to light and flash. I'm not saying that they only look for lit-up buildings but you can't deny that they're not attention-getters, or maybe YOU can.

Yes, they're attention-getters... for the tourists. They serve as attention- repellents to the residents though. It makes a portion of the city virtually unusable to people who actually live there. How many Manhattanites actually visit Times Square?

Yes, they're attention-getters... for the tourists. They serve as attention- repellents to the residents though. It makes a portion of the city virtually unusable to people who actually live there. How many Manhattanites actually visit Times Square?

And that's what it comes down to. You know, Wedge Tower has green neon lighting along each of its edges. They used to turn it on on a regular basis, but Neartown residents complained incessantly. And good riddance...it was gaudy.

Someone should set up a spotlight in 5th Ward just to screw with them as they're driving in from IAH.

All those refineries in Pasadena and Deer Park should be chock full of tourists and 24-hour party people. When you fly into Hobby at night, those are the best lit places along the entire Gulf Coast.

All those refineries in Pasadena and Deer Park should be chock full of tourists and 24-hour party people. When you fly into Hobby at night, those are the best lit places along the entire Gulf Coast.

You mean they're not? I get high every time I ride past B.P. Refinery!

I would like to see dark zones in Houston, so that people could meet outdoors and watch stars, and just be cozy and quiet for a while. These could be areas where light polution was monitored & kept minimal. I really miss the alure of the night sky. I make frequent trips to the Big Bend, just to camp out, and sleep under the stars.

• Like 1

I would like to see dark zones in Houston, so that people could meet outdoors and watch stars, and just be cozy and quiet for a while. These could be areas where light polution was monitored & kept minimal. I really miss the alure of the night sky. I make frequent trips to the Big Bend, just to camp out, and sleep under the stars.

That's a better argument for darkness than I've heard for light.