Downtown Skyscraper Lighting

ricco67

THANKYOU for FINALLY mentioning LED lighting.

Lets just get rid of that disgusting neon green edge of that highrise we have now. It's been done.

How about let's work on getting rid of the disgusting Christmas lights first. The green neon building actually gives the skyline some color and flavor @ night.

Another skyline at night shot...

533523934_6f79e3225d.jpg

Where did you find this hazy pic of dt? Hurts my eyes just looking at it.

Edited by tierwestah

I think lighting the the tops of DT's buildings would be best - not just with little the little twinkle lights or neon, but in ways that accent the architecture in a tasteful manor. Of course, the effect would diminished on a muggy, hazy night. Hmm...

...And in the field of image-conscious cities, here's what Cleveland has done...

clesc_phototour26.jpg

How about let's work on getting rid of the discustin Christmas lights first. The green neon building actually gives the skyline some color and flavor @ night.

Neon lighting is very outdated :P Gives the flavor of dated ideas. No forward progress.

I don't want Houston to mess up its skyline with neon lighting. That means it's begging for attention like Dubai and Vegas. They have a beautiful skylines but just because you can do some of those things does not mean you should. When looking at downtown during the playoffs It was like I could see downtown but could not see it, it was just a big blurr. Downtown could really use some nice classy lighting that would make it look like people were there. And was it just me or did the TNT camra crew show more views of 59 South than the Downtown skyline?

Edited by Deut28Thirteen

• 2 weeks later...
Would HAIFers prefer that the building top lights be on all the time, or that some of the buildings have them on all year, but have all the buildings turn them on for holidays and major events (like Superbowl)?

having them on all yr gets old.

having them on all yr gets old.

I'd disagree. I'd say it takes the spectacular "wow" factor out for residents, but I think it becomes something that people get used to having and grow to expect. In a former home city of mine, people came to be excited looking forward to how a new scraper would be lit at night. The RSA Tower in Alabama had that same excitement building up to it's lighting unveiling. An unveiling of lighting? There's a few Houstonians who'd blow a gasket at such a 'stupid' idea.

I'd disagree. I'd say it takes the spectacular "wow" factor out for residents, but I think it becomes something that people get used to having and grow to expect. In a former home city of mine, people came to be excited looking forward to how a new scraper would be lit at night. The RSA Tower in Alabama had that same excitement building up to it's lighting unveiling. An unveiling of lighting? There's a few Houstonians who'd blow a gasket at such a 'stupid' idea.

i get more of a kick when they use the internal lighting in windows to form patterns that you see from the exterior. in these days of energy conservation, decorative/unnecessary lighting is frowned upon.

I...And in the field of image-conscious cities, here's what Cleveland has done...

clesc_phototour26.jpg

Oh gosh, think of all the energy that is wasted on that bridge, and in this era of conservation and environmental consciousness! And that golden, lit up building! Doesn't that drive away potential downtown residents?!

;)

Oh gosh, think of all the energy that is wasted on that bridge, and in this era of conservation and environmental consciousness! And that golden, lit up building! Doesn't that drive away potential downtown residents?!

;)

Considering that is a photo of downtown Cleveland and Cleveland has been losing population since the 1950s... maybe.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I noticed that most of the downtown skyscrapers have turned off their outertrim lighting. I'm very happy they turned off those ugly white christmas lights (even though Chase Tower's still lit). However, i wish Wells Fargo Plaza, Wedge Tower would continue to light up at night.

Could they be moving toward bringing some better lighting for the downtown skyline? It would be nice if they did more color hi-lights and things of that such. I'm really thinking once the Pavilions, Disco Green, and surrounding development open up, it may start a new trend from the white Christmas lights (I'm praying). Anybody have an idea or scoop? Does anybody even really care LOL ???

• 10 months later...