Downtown Skyscraper Lighting

ricco67

My favorite view of downtown is from the west side, coming over the Durham bridge over White Oak bayou, and to a lesser extent Shepherd on the bridge over Allen/Memorial (it's closer and the angle is better but there is some tree blockage), just before the sun comes up. The natural light makes downtown look awesome before the sun pops above the horizon. Every morning I come that way, I wish I had my camera (and 2 extra hands).

Exactly. Anyone can look good at night with the right treatment. But how do you look at daybreak?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry I don't know which building it is, but one of them is on hyper crazy mode right now.

Red, green, blue, white, and all in between.

It's cycling at a frequency of about one color every half second.

I'm gonna try to video it, but doubt my camera has good enough zoom.

edit, yeah, video looks horrible. go outside and check it out though.

Edited by samagon

Sorry I don't know which building it is, but one of them is on hyper crazy mode right now.

Red, green, blue, white, and all in between.

It's cycling at a frequency of about one color every half second.

I'm gonna try to video it, but doubt my camera has good enough zoom.

edit, yeah, video looks horrible. go outside and check it out though.

That's the Wells Fargo building. I can only hope they are trying to pick the perfect color to ruin the nighttime skyline with. Any will do.

That's the Wells Fargo building. I can only hope they are trying to pick the perfect color to ruin the nighttime skyline with. Any will do.

ah, ok, where my house is I can see about 3 buildings in the DT skyline during the winter cause there aren't any leaves on the trees and wasn't sure which one of the 3 it was I was seeing :P . I noticed they had it set to red for the past few nights, and then tonight it's a rave on top of the city.

Just saw that for the first time driving into work .... all different colors were flashing... I really liked it... they should maybe slow down the colors a bit but I like all of the different colors.

Just saw that for the first time driving into work .... all different colors were flashing... I really liked it... they should maybe slow down the colors a bit but I like all of the different colors.

I'm glad that the electrons were excited. That makes some number of trillions of them and none of me.

It so dominates the skyline and upsets its harmony, that it almost makes the building look selfish.

I absolutely love the new Wells Fargo lighting. I liked the color changing scheme it had last night but agree they should slow the color changing down just a tad. It was so busy, it almost reminded me of the Reunion Tower Ball in downtown Dallas, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I just don't want them to give stupid residents a reason to start complaining and thus ruining it everyone.

There really is no nighttime skyline to ruin. The Wells Fargo lighting is simply adding character to an otherwise dark and drury skyline. What are you talking about?

I absolutely love the new Wells Fargo lighting. I liked the color changing scheme it had last night but agree they should slow the color changing down just a tad. It was so busy, it almost reminded me of the Reunion Tower Ball in downtown Dallas, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I just don't want them to give stupid residents a reason to start complaining and thus ruining it everyone.

There really is no nighttime skyline to ruin. The Wells Fargo lighting is simply adding character to an otherwise dark and drury skyline. What are you talking about?

Unless all of the buildings are dark at night, we absolutely have a nighttime skyline. With few exceptions, the lighting is subtle and the buildings don't compete with each other for attention. When the second(?) tallest building in the center of downtown decides to show off its height, it attracts too much attention to itself and disrupts the way the eye flows across the skyline. That is what Wells Fargo is doing for me, at least.

Unless all of the buildings are dark at night, we absolutely have a nighttime skyline. With few exceptions, the lighting is subtle and the buildings don't compete with each other for attention. When the second(?) tallest building in the center of downtown decides to show off its height, it attracts too much attention to itself and disrupts the way the eye flows across the skyline. That is what Wells Fargo is doing for me, at least.

I guess everyone can't share my viewpoints. I just can't understand why anyone would want a dark and subtle skyline for the 4th largest city in America.

I guess everyone can't share my viewpoints. I just can't understand why anyone would want a dark and subtle skyline for the 4th largest city in America.

I'm not saying there aren't improvements to be made (I haven't been following this thread until Wells Fargo lit itself up), but I think they need to be in concert with other buildings, so that downtown as a whole benefits. Wells Fargo already has a strong presence just due to its stature, and with a bright strip of light on top, it completely overwhelms now.

Maybe its some of the other buildings that need to follow suit of Wells Fargo and light up there structures, not necessarily to the same degree as Wells Fargo, but there's a way they can still be interesting and tasteful too. The Reliant Energy plaza (1000 Main) used to do the color-changing band on top of their building. Hasn't been lit up in a few months. The former Continential building was cool with the blue and even the white Crown.

It makes since that Wells Fago is being dominant at night, which it should since it is a dominant structure in the downtown skyline. I think the rest of downtown could stand to not necessarily follow suit of WF, but back it up a little and light up a little. But Please, and I repeat Please, no year-round beige Christmas lights on the building's rooftops like they were doing in the middle part of last decade. That made the 4th largest city look cheap. It remined me of a neighbor who left his Christmas lights on during the 4th of Juky. I would rather a dark skyline than to go back to that.

LOL. I agree with you mostly. Half of the people who disagreed seemed to just want to argue for the sake of arguing.

well, it appears that the guy that engineered the wells fargo gone wild has been sacked, we're back to solid white and rave the roof is over!

Nah its back.

well, it appears that the guy that engineered the wells fargo gone wild has been sacked, we're back to solid white and rave the roof is over!

How do you know and why did he get sacked?

How do you know and why did he get sacked?

I don't, I was just making a joke cause it was all plain white last night vs the symphony of light like the night before. Sorry about that, I always forget to put a smirk at the end to give the impression of having attempted to write something funny

Edited by samagon

LOL. I agree with you mostly. Half of the people who disagreed seemed to just want to argue for the sake of arguing.

I'm glad someone finally agrees with me besides the O/P. LOL

• 2 weeks later...
...they should maybe slow down the colors a bit but I like all of the different colors.

They heard you!

Tonight, the disco-strobe show is back in full galore ....but like H-Town rap music, it's screw'd. Colors now slowly fade into each other. Looks beautiful!

I'm beinning to wonder if all the colorful lighting atop buildings in TMC may have persuaded Wells Fargo to go Disco. And I'm really wondering if this leads to other Downtown buildings lighting up in new ways in reponse to this. Could Wells Fargo be the first domino to fall in making this thread's wish come true?!?

I am in love with the new Wells Fargo lighting. I think a few more buildings should support the WF building and light their buildings up creatively as well. Just as long as they don't bring back the beige white christmas lights like someone C2H stated on here earlier. That was so uncreative and lame looking.

Since we're talking about WF lighting, I seem to remember the building having a short lived Christmas light type of setup like the Chase building in lieu of the neon (prob during Christmas). I can't find any photos though. Does that ring a bell?

They heard you!

Tonight, the disco-strobe show is back in full galore ....but like H-Town rap music, it's screw'd. Colors now slowly fade into each other. Looks beautiful!

I'm beinning to wonder if all the colorful lighting atop buildings in TMC may have persuaded Wells Fargo to go Disco. And I'm really wondering if this leads to other Downtown buildings lighting up in new ways in reponse to this. Could Wells Fargo be the first domino to fall in making this thread's wish come true?!?

heh, the arms race for skyscraper lighting has begun!

hopefully they throw some surface lighting in there too.

• 2 weeks later...

I think WF is doing well by leading the charge for "aggressive" lighting. IMO it's better to have all of the colors at your disposal, and then tastefully use them at different times of the year. For example the red and white this month is great for Valentine's Day, and for March some green would be appropriate. I don't think those detract from our skyline in the slightest.

For some reason, my preference is for WF to have lighting above all of the other buildings. The Chase tower's lighting is ok, but it looks just as good when it's not lit up too. But for WF, lighting is a definite architectural asset to that building.

it would be neat if the buildings would coordinate with the sports teams.

For instance, Baylor when they win a game, the light one of the buildings gold, and green for a loss (IIRC) they have a lot of green during football season, but it would be neat to have something like that, with all the different color options they have.

it would be neat if the buildings would coordinate with the sports teams.

For instance, Baylor when they win a game, the light one of the buildings gold, and green for a loss (IIRC) they have a lot of green during football season, but it would be neat to have something like that, with all the different color options they have.

Why would Houston have a building do that? Baylor is in Waco.

Just sayin.

Wells Fargo Plaza will light up in different colors for holidays & special events only. During the rest of the year they'll probably just keep it white like it used to be is what I'm guessing.

Wells has always had a band of white neon around the top ever since it was first built, but on two occasions it hasn't been on. Shortly after the collapse of Enron because their building also had a similar band of white neon around the very top & Wells Fargo didn't want to have that kind of bad image. The second time several years later after people finally got over the whole Enron thing they started lighting Wells Fargo Plaza again then Hurricane Rita came & wrecked havoc on the fragile glass neon lighting up there. I'm sure with that insurance money they used part of it to get their new color changing LED setup.

Edited by Metro Matt