Downtown Skyscraper Lighting

ricco67

On 11/10/2020 at 12:48 PM, Yoda said:
On 11/10/2020 at 12:21 PM, dbigtex56 said:

I've always thought Heritage Plaza was unique looking and instantly recognizable.

True, that. The same could be said about the Pontiac Aztec. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 11/11/2020 at 1:50 PM, BeerNut said:

The weak lighting on 609 Main crown still irks me.  

22 minutes ago, Triton said:

It's barely even noticeable.

Between how dim it is and only going part way across for no apparent reason, it looks like the controller is broken or something - kinda like the way 700 Louisiana looks when the roof lights are burnt out or pointing the wrong way (both of which occur). 🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mollusk said:

Between how dim it is and only going part way across for no apparent reason, it looks like the controller is broken or something - kinda like the way 700 Louisiana looks when the roof lights are burnt out or pointing the wrong way (both of which occur). 🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️

It's always been this way.  Based on my limited observations it's probably LED flood lights shining up into the atrium.  Maybe they wanted this for a subdued effect but to me it looks broken or incomplete.  They should add more LED flood lights or ones that have more lumens. 

• Like 1

Postmodern downtown building lighting reached its peak in the 1990s. I remember when Heritage Plaza had more neon. I think the pyramid portion was outlined in neon at one point, but I can't find pictures. Wedge International was decked out with green neon edges. In the late 90s, things became dimmer. Lots of red anti-collision lights at night but not much in terms of more decorative lighting.

• Like 4

On 11/14/2020 at 11:36 AM, Houston19514 said:

I don't think we've ever had as much year-round lighting as we have now.  

It's more subtle though. 1600 Smith Street & CenterPoint Energy Plaza have done a really good job. Wish 600 Travis would update the roof bulbs (they went from soft white to LED, but they still look dated). 700 Louisiana as well. So much potential to brighten the place up. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to New Lights On Skyline
  • The title was changed to Downtown Skyscraper Lighting
  • 8 months later...