Downtown Skyscraper Lighting

ricco67

Who cares what outsiders think of our skyline? Besides, isn't it expensive to have buildings illuminated with lights?

not that expensive for a city like us.

I think if the city officials or some of us didn't care about Houston's image, we would have never pursued a Super Bowl, Olympics, or built all these convention centers and hotels.

Besides, as a Houstonian, I think Houston looks good, but it can look SOOOOOOOO much better. We need to show off our architecture. It really IS something Houston can be proud of, and we need to showcase what we got.

Who cares what outsiders think of our skyline? Besides, isn't it expensive to have buildings illuminated with lights?

what i don't understand is why lighting the buildings with some style is even a concern with cost. They use the same white christmas light bulbs on almost every building at night (most notably the Exxon Mobil, Fulbright, Houston Centers, and Chase towers). Why is there no issue with cost when it comes to using that lighting scheme? Why can't they at least use the a different colors other than white lighting on the rooftops? Just like what they used during Superbowl 2004? Can't no one tell me that would cost anymore money than using the same boring white perimeter lighting around every building!

All i'm saying is, it's frustrating to see Houston not live up to its full potential!

Edited by tierwestah

Of corse its lit up! but its not vegas.

Wells Fargo Plaza has the white neon outlining the top. The JP Morgan Chase Tower has the (ugly!) christmas like bulbs lining the top as well. And Heritage Plaza had the Astro's star in the middle of it the other night. The Continental Building has the logo ontop, and the South Enron Building has its own thing going on.

edit: On another note, I like the way its "quiet" at night. (The Skyline). The Neon the Wells Fargo Plaza gives it a cool feel. It looks best from Montrose, when you can't see the top of the JPMCT, because I really dislike the bulbs ontop.

Edited by Montrose1100

My last post was sarcasm.

:lol::lol::lol:

"Who cares what outsiders think of our skyline? Besides, isn't it expensive to have buildings illuminated with lights?"

I do feel like some of the city leaders feel this way sometimes. This light bulb thing is stupid, and it does very little to show off these buildings. (Better than nothing, I guess :unsure: ) I want it vegas-style like before. (AT LEAST during big world events for our city.)

The buildings use to have Spot Lights from the base, shinning up along the corners, and the buildings overall. I'm tires of the Neon Lights being our only hope for a lit up Skyline. Except, the Neon on WFP should stay, its suits the facade like a glove.

And the bulbs on the BOA should be on all the time, and not just X-mas.

What if we just flooded The mayors office, to push companies to light up Downtown? The sweeping Becon on the Williams Tower, loures lookers to the Galleria Area.

What loures eyes to Downtown? Nothing...

what i don't understand is why lighting the buildings with some style is even a concern with cost. They use the same white christmas light bulbs on almost every building at night (most notably the Exxon Mobil, Fulbright, Houston Centers, and Chase towers). Why is there no issue with cost when it comes to using that lighting scheme? Why can't they at least use the a different colors other than white lighting on the rooftops? Just like what they used during Superbowl 2004? Can't no one tell me that would cost anymore money than using the same boring white perimeter lighting around every building!

All i'm saying is, it's frustrating to see Houston not live up to its full potential!

Given the budgets that these buildings have, lighting costs would not be prohibitive. In fact, it might draw attention to the building, helping lower that 20% vacancy.

Yes, downtown building owners dropped the ball on this one.

Given the budgets that these buildings have, lighting costs would not be prohibitive. In fact, it might draw attention to the building, helping lower that 20% vacancy.

Yes, downtown building owners dropped the ball on this one.

i know and i think if enough of us get together and adress this issue to a higher party, maybe something might get done. The only people on this board i know of who actually tried to address this issue are greystone08 and largeTX. I think if enough of us got together and complained, it might make more of a difference. greystone08 told me through a PM that Mayor White wrote him back and said that he wasn't the person to adress the issue of lighting the buildings. Robert Eury with Central Houston is the one who works with things of that nature. However, Mayor White did forward his letter to Robert Eury and Robert Eury replied.

I just really have a problem with the way some of the buildings are lit at night. The White Christmas bulb lightings have got to go! It looks outdated, tacky, and when it's not Christmas time, it looks so out of season. I wish the building owners of those buildings that use this scheme would get a clue!

Edited by C2H

good pose VelvetJ. That's my biggest problem with Houston's night time skyline is the Christmas lights around the rooftops. Like C2H said, I'm sure if enough of us got together and wrote a letter to Central Houston, it could make a difference.

SO WHO'S WITH ME? who's all gonna take the initiative and write Bob Eury with Central Houston. I'll try to provide his mailing adress for you all later.

Edited by tierwestah

Well folks, the problem is not with City Hall. (Well, not the main problem.)

Its the Buildings that decide to light up, maybe city hall askes them to do something special, say, christmas or whatever, but city hall does not control the switch. And city hall has strict rules about adverstising, and lights on buildings, if I remember.

If you write to city hall, ask them, to ask the building's managers to do something. City Hall can't force the companies to "Light Up". But, if City Hall got up about the issue, they could say "Look guys, lets make Downtown, "Downtown" again.."

I noticed all the box buildings we have Downtown light up with the bulbs. (Houston Center 1&2, Fullbright Tower, First City Tower, JPMCT, etc.) Thats basically half of Downtown. Thats an ugly half.

When i sent my letter to the Mayor back in May, he forwarded it to Robert Eury who is president of Central Houston. If anyone wants to send a letter, try sending a copy to both the Mayor's Office and a copy to Robert Eury of Central Houston.

Here are the addresses, hope this helps! ;)

For Central Houston: Phone #(713)223-2003

Robert Eury

909 Fannin Suite 1650

Houston, TX 77010

For Mayor's Office: Phone # (713)247-2200

Bill White

PO Box 1562

Houston, TX 77251-1562

grey

Edited by greystone08(returns)

• 2 months later...

Maybe when the Houston Pavilions gets built, maybe the building owners will realize that times are changing and need to update from using Christmas lights to decorate the buildings at night.

I know many might not be care about this but I was riding down 59 the other night and i realized that the lighting in our downtown skyline downright sucks. While i appreciate a few of the buildings that actually look good, basically half of our downtown is lit with white perimeter "christmas like" lights around the rooftop. Most notably: the Exxon tower, Chase, Fulbright and Houston Centers 1 & 2.

Our downtown lighting doesn't make a statement at night that most major cities do. It doesn't indicate that downtown is the place to be in Houston. I was in Dallas this weekend and Austin last weekend and took note on how beautiful their skylines look at night. What's texas's largest city's problem? Does anyone think that when the Houston Pavilions gets built that it could possibly persuade many building owners to change their lighting techniques? I'm not suggesting to be too gaudy or overdo it, but at least get rid of the lighting that doesn't flow. I'm sorry but Christmas lights looks cheap and tacky. I guess in a way, the downtown skyline suggests what Houston really is... CHEAP!

I forgot to include a poll but just say yes or no. Will the Houston Pavilions encourage better lighting?

Edited by scarface

I know this is about DT lighting but no one seems to mention how cool the Williams Tower is at night. I remember when I first started coming to Houston and was coming from I-10 west onto 610 South and was really enthralled with that giant lighthouse beam crossing the sky. Very, very cool idea.

Edited by Gary

Enough with the downtown lighting. There are plenty of buildings that are lit appropriately (the old Gulf comes to mind).

The BEST thing the Pavilions can do for downtown is to make a place that is so fun and exciting that nobody will be bored enough to look up! OR, even better, it will bring people INTO downtown at night instead of just staring at it when they are buzzing around a friggin freeway on their way somewhere else.

I've said this before, but I think one aspect of downtown Houston's lighting that doesn't get the credit it deserves (and what ultimately may be more important) is its street level lighting. They've done an excellent job of incorporating street lights with all the neon marquees that line Main, Milam, Fannin, Smith, Louisiana and others. Even the lighting at the base of some of the more prominent skyscrapers blend in well with the nearby streetlights.

As for the skyline itself, I think if a couple of highrise towers are built in the right area and are tastefully lighted by spotlight, that alone would do wonders for the overall appearance of the skyline.

I'm also in the camp of people who would rather not see building outlined in neon. I'd rather the spotlight affect, like the BOA Tower in Miami, for example.