Regent Square: Mixed-Use On Allen Parkway At Dunlavy St.

Travel_n_Transport

Yea all the big box stores apparently want to be close to I-10. Plus, there are a few even on West Gray and Dunlavy. Can't imagine what else is missing that would want to go here... There isn't a Nordstorm Rack in the area but I heard that was rumored for Lower Heights District but that was marketed for the older design.

Edit: Total Wine is missing too. Im sure someone is about to prepare a full list for me but a number of those big box stores were rumored for Lower Heights District. We'll see.

23 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

This does not have to do with supply in the Houston market. This has to do with what attracts investors and what sort of rate of return you can get. Investors are still hungry for grocery-anchored retail and shops that meet internet-proof needs such restaurants, nail salons, fitness, etc. They are not hungry for apparel or anything that can also be bought online. That is why cap rates have been trending upward for non-grocery-anchored retail centers for the past three years, and fewer are being built. Meanwhile, apartments are selling at far lower cap rates than any type of retail, given that there is no end in sight for demand there. So something like Regent Square, which was conceived in 2007 based on the market demands then, would look drastically different today, with more apartments and less retail (and probably a different mix of retail).

Agreed. Though the person you are responding too also has a point, but more along the lines of, if occupancy is constantly hitting at near capacity and there is demand for large scale urban developments then the demand should push the supply. Of course we know its not always that simple. Its a base driver.

Your argument is actually why a few posts prior I also addressed that the aesthetics should also be vastly updated. It too was conceived in a time when the market for a particular aesthetic was completely different today. I think West Ave (now Arrive RO) was part of that same generation in terms of styling. Now look at the looks coming into the market now especially with developments on Kirby. The market is different for both and because they have waited so long they will almost have to rethink their ideas because it just a different market place all around. I still think that this development is incredibly unique even in this moment of large scale urbanscape development, but I'm sure the logistics and looks and money that actually go into is a nightmare to figure out if one has held out for so long.

EDIT: To but it this way. Its like. Imagine if you went into a coma after 2007 and then all the sudden woke up in 2019. A lot has happened in this town. This metaphorical coma would take a while to gather ones thoughts and come to terms with whats going on before one could even move forward.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

No Alamo Drafthouse anymore:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Regent-Square-moving-forward-but-with-no-Alamo-13851493.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

The owner of a 24-acre parcel across Allen Parkway from Buffalo Bayou Park announced plans Thursday to build a 600-unit apartment complex and 50,000 square feet of retail space on the site, the latest development phase within a larger project known as Regent Square.

Boston-based GID Development Group said it intends to start construction this fall on the buildings, which will occupy eight acres at West Dallas and Dunlavy streets.

GID announced plans to develop Regent Square in 2007. At that time, the property housed the Allen House Apartments, which GID had owned for decades.

Most of the apartments were demolished, but the project stalled until a 21-story apartment tower was developed on part of the site at 3233 W. Dallas. That building, called the Sovereign, was completed in 2015.

"Our goal for Regent Square is the creation of an exemplary, urban mixed-use district in the heart of Houston. Phase 2, the core of the masterplan, is poised to establish the project as a dynamic, walkable place as it weaves high quality restaurants, retail and residential into the fabric of the surrounding neighborhoods," James Linsley, GID Development Group's president.

Several years ago, Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, an entertainment concept that combines a movie theater and dining, said it was planning a location in Regent Square. A GID spokesperson said those plans were off.

Boston architecture firm CBT is designing the new buildings. Apartment floorplans will range from studios with separate sleeping alcoves to large two-bedroom units. The shops will ring a central plaza designed by Houston-based OJB Landscape Architecture.

JLL has been tapped to oversee retail leasing for the entire mixed-use district, which will eventually span 24 acres along West Dallas Street between College Memorial Park Cemetery and Waugh Drive, GID said.

• Like 4

IT'S ALIVE!!! 🧟‍♂️

This coupled with Hanover's development, East River, Buffalo Heights District, Lower Heights District, MKT, TMC3, and the Innovation DIstrict. Is it safe to say Houston is about to become a lot more walkable?

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 8

Here is what I can see from the render. Since these guys can't bother to put up a site plan (because they know it will go against what they think is "walkable"):

2019 version

yZos8lV.jpg

Previous version:

FIS0Iso.jpg

Have a guess which is more walkable.

For $hits and giggles lets look at Hanover:

O6o1Gxd.jpg

One knows what they are doing. One sat on their a$$ for a decade and missed the plot, and then need to save face.

It would be one thing if the courtyards they are making here were publicly accessible, but I bet they will be private property which doesn't make this development walkable. Now if the reverse is true then this might be interesting, but for a team that took over a decade to do anything, I don't exactly expect them to be that clever.

Glad something is happening, but laughably pathetic considering where they started. 

EDIT: Made a quick ninja edit.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

IT'S ALIVE!!! 🧟‍♂️

This coupled with Hanover's development, East River, Buffalo Heights District, Lower Heights District, MKT, TMC3, and the Innovation DIstrict. Is it safe to say Houston is about to become a lot more walkable?

True. Though disappointed by the final product. What was a deadzone is now all the sudden a neighborhood overnight. Its definitely something unique about this city. Sudden things can sprout quickly.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Luminare said:

True. Though disappointed by the final product. What was a deadzone is now all the sudden a neighborhood overnight. Its definitely something unique about this city. Sudden things can sprout quickly.

With GID’s track record, I’ll believe “a neighborhood” is coming when I see framing start to go up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This is really sad. To look at their early renderings and a neighborhood of 10 -15 story buildings in a mixed use development reduced to two story stucco apartment buildings is really disappointing. They could have left the old apartments that were there and it would be about the same and much lower rents for a while longer.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, bobruss said:

This is really sad. To look at their early renderings and a neighborhood of 10 -15 story buildings in a mixed use development reduced to two story stucco apartment buildings is really disappointing. They could have left the old apartments that were there and it would be about the same and much lower rents for a while longer.

I mean it is 5 stories, but what was impressive about the last one was the dedication to more "fine grain" development with varying heights. The fact that its more monotonous in height, materials, and volume is pretty bland.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

I mean it is 5 stories, but what was impressive about the last one was the dedication to more "fine grain" development with varying heights. The fact that its more monotonous in height, materials, and volume is pretty bland.

6 stories, but who's counting?   😉

• Like 3

On 1/24/2019 at 12:39 PM, jmitch94 said:

What I don't get is how they can afford to sit on all this land, the tax burden must be huge. 

Was curious so had to look it up.

HCAD just has 5 years of values... but OUCH.

3gB7tzh.png

2019 is almost $4,000/day in property taxes. 

So how much property tax has been "squandered" since 2007? $10 million? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, shasta said:

This is drastically different than the original layout from 10 years ago. Will this be on the same blocks as those or is this a different block?

Image result for regent square houston

While it is a drastic change, I think we have to consider that GID was probably a little ahead of the game when developing this. Now that there are other developers pulling out all the stops I think they knew they had to make a move from a reputation standpoint. While it isn't as nice, I think all of this is heading the right direction. And remember, this is only Phase 2 of the project, some things may stay the same. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 5

Agh it hurts to look at that rendering. It's so nice. I think had it been built it would've been the hottest place to be in Houston. It reminds me of the Pearl Brewery in San Antonio. I know Houston is forging its own identity, but I wish we had a more downtown SA feel. SA has such a natural and interesting downtown/central area

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoustonBoy said:

Agh it hurts to look at that rendering. It's so nice. I think had it been built it would've been the hottest place to be in Houston. It reminds me of the Pearl Brewery in San Antonio. I know Houston is forging its own identity, but I wish we had a more downtown SA feel. SA has such a natural and interesting downtown/central area

I have to respectfully disagree. I went to San Antonio recently and that place is boring. I love what San Antonio is doing outside of the Riverwalk but the Riverwalk itself is outdated imo. They need to revamp that entire area. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I have to respectfully disagree. I went to San Antonio recently and that place is boring. I love what San Antonio is doing outside of the Riverwalk but the Riverwalk itself is outdated imo. They need to revamp that entire area. 

I think the main tourist area of the Riverwalk downtown is outdated as well, but there is a synergy that extends outside of the immediate downtown core that I personally find very attractive. What, if any, city would you like Htown to move towards or take inspiration from?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Triton said:

I'm excited we still have these towers but are they going for a clash of different architectures?

Different architecture makes it look like the buildings weren't all built at the same time. It helps make it feel more like a natural neighborhood. 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, SMU1213 said:

Different architecture makes it look like the buildings weren't all built at the same time. It helps make it feel more like a natural neighborhood. 

26 minutes ago, Timoric said:

I think different is good - ever tried to match granite on a project to existing?

Good points. Guess it will feel more natural. Hopefully we do actually get those buildings close to the bayou though. Love that older 1920s feel.

• Like 6

So, how many new residential/hotel units are we adding along Allen Parkway, in the next 5-10 years?

Regent Square- 600 Apartment Units, per article

The Allen-  ?# Condo Units

The Allen- ?# Apartments Units

The Allen-  ?# Hotel Rooms

Hanover- ?# Apartment Units 

Hanover - ?# Hotel Rooms

Ismaili Center- ? Any residential units or hotel rooms as part of this project?

• Like 3