Regent Square: Mixed-Use On Allen Parkway At Dunlavy St.

Travel_n_Transport

2 hours ago, samagon said:

yeah, but it's residential and commercial mixed together.

looking at the pictures, what makes this special over the Houston comparable places is the layout of the streets on the interior. It's based on a Dutch idea.. woonerf https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woonerf

I'd love to see some of those ideas implemented at the Houston versions of city/town/village center/market/centre/square.

Exactly, and people aren't having to cross a major thoroughfare of 6 lanes of traffic to walk around. The Domain is more of a walkable area like the transformed Bagby St.

Look, I think the comparison makes more sense with City Centre than it does with Upper Kirby. Upper Kirby is more of a mish mash of different development while the Domain is more of a master planned shopping district. City Centre is somewhat similar in terms of it being further away from a CBD and it does have the suburban office parks around it, just like the Domain. The difference is that the Domain truly caters to all different types of people in terms of shopping and even the nightlife experience it offers with an entire street full of clubs and bars. KinkaidAlum is right that it is an outdoor mall (which cannot be said for City Centre) with several big box stores that are even part of the walkable environment, but I would disagree that it's upscale. There's so many different types of stores that many of them are similar to what we saw in the Regent Square store catalog, even if it was just for potential retail and not the actual resulting stores. With it's parks, street layout, great mixture of retail/office/residential and just the sheer scale of it, I think the Domain experience is a lot different than anything Houston has to offer at the moment. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, CREguy13 said:

Not sure if it's been reported here, but the New York and Houston office of Newmark are marketing the office building.  240,000 SF

Interesting, there's also  Newmark marketing a Regent Square in Pittsburgh.

http://looplink.pittsburgh.ngkf.com/ll/19923066/1101-1103-S-Braddock-Ave/

• Like 2

On 3/16/2017 at 11:10 AM, Triton said:

Did anyone notice this on the City of Houston website? Has a picture of Regent Square and the article is talking about amending current ordinances to make areas more walkable. It was last updated just last week.

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Commissions/committee_walkable-places.html

At least someone at CoH now realizes that setbacks and parking minimums have ruined the streetscape of the city. Let's hope they do something about it.

• Like 2

Setbacks aren't the problem, and actually, if the space wasn't used for parking, it would be great for green/walkability/patio space.

It's a requirement to have parking, and a requirement to have setback, so rather than 'waste' the space up front setting it back from the road with 'nothing' in the area, it's parking.

The city missed by not requiring that a larger portion of the setback be used for sidewalk (and that sidewalk might be shared with trees, or patio space, or some other use that encourages pedestrians). The city missed by not requiring that parking be in the rear.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 5

22 hours ago, samagon said:

Setbacks aren't the problem, and actually, if the space wasn't used for parking, it would be great for green/walkability/patio space.

It's a requirement to have parking, and a requirement to have setback, so rather than 'waste' the space up front setting it back from the road with 'nothing' in the area, it's parking.

The city missed by not requiring that a larger portion of the setback be used for sidewalk (and that sidewalk might be shared with trees, or patio space, or some other use that encourages pedestrians). The city missed by not requiring that parking be in the rear.

Setbacks alone aren't as big a problem as setbacks PLUS parking minimums, but they're still a problem. Think of a walkable area in this city or any other that has 25 feet of space between the sidewalks and the buildings. There aren't many.

There are some areas where the zoning code lets the builder trade setbacks for height, but even then, the podium tends to come right up to the building line.

If you have minimum setbacks, AND don't allow parking in them, then you've effectively reduced the value of the land (since a good portion of it can't be built on). Reduced land value leads to reduced density, which means less walkability.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2017 at 0:17 PM, Triton said:

Easy answer to everyone's question because I expected it. It's all of those projects but on steroids. The sheer size of this project is impressive. Blocks upon blocks upon blocks of stores, bars, and apartments AND the light rail is immediately to the east of this near Top Golf. I saw quite a few riders hoping on and off to the apartments near by. And even though it's in the suburbs, it's so well connected to the surrounding area, including the JJ Pickle Research Institute. Sure, we have developments similar to this, but nothing at this size. Perhaps Rice Village comes close but it doesn't have the nightlife nor the bigger retail you would see from a mall. It's honestly the perfect combination for all sorts of people. I couldn't find any pictures online that really do it justice.... hopefully when ya'll are in Austin, you can check it out and you'll understand what I mean. Or do Google Streetview and "drive around" I guess.

Edit: And perhaps even looking again at the renderings for Regent Square, this project won't quite match that either. But I seriously believe we need some type of project at this scale and so well connected like this in Houston. Fingers crossed we get this at Hardy Yards with the Burnett transit center connection but who knows...

Austin doesn't really have any other of these types of developments, aside from Mueller, which is also very large and has more potential in my opinion. The Domain works so well since Austin has grown massively northwards and this fills a giant need for this large swath of middle class suburbia.

It would be very hard for Houston to match the size and scale of the Domain. City Centre in Memorial could possibly do it in a piecemeal fashion connecting City Centre with Memorial City Mall area. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2017 at 4:22 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

So where is this development at with the overall build? I haven't been in this area in a while. I know it's being done in phases but what phase is this on? Really excited to see this city become so damn urban. 

The Sovereign is the only part of the project that's been built so far. Additional building permits were issued October of last year. There've been rumors of work being bid. 

Last news was next phase to be built would be a 2nd hi-rise residential building.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Angostura said:

The Sovereign is the only part of the project that's been built so far. Additional building permits were issued October of last year. There've been rumors of work being bid. 

Last news was next phase to be built would be a 2nd hi-rise residential building.

Nice, thank you for the update. From what I remember, this project is like a 10 year plan. Sucks cause I'll be 40 by then lol

• Like 2

On 5/31/2017 at 4:22 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

So where is this development at with the overall build? I haven't been in this area in a while. I know it's being done in phases but what phase is this on? Really excited to see this city become so damn urban. 

Me too.  We need the density.  As far as I can tell the only way to get Texans out of their cars is to make parking expensive and difficult.  New York City is hot and humid in the summer and yet without thinking you can walk 20 blocks.  5-10 years ago you wouldn't see a pedestrian in Houston unless their car broke down.  We do need some pedestrian overpasses though for Westheimer at Highland Village, Allen Parkway, Post Oak @ Westheimer etc so we don't get mowed down!  I love this city though and we are living here in a very exciting time.

• Like 7

Everyone keeps wanting to make Houston more like NYC. I get it, it's a great city. But it will never happen. There is a reason that city is so unique. Urbanization is great but getting people out of their cars isn't easy. We don't have good public transportation like NYC has. You would be crazy to drive a car into NYC because of traffic and lack of parking. We grow up here under different circumstances when it comes to transportation and it becomes ingrained in how we commute. Plus we have massive suburbs with no better way to get into town than to drive. The schools within the loop that are public aren't great so people don't want to live in the loop. It creates more driving into the loop to do things than walking. In the end transportation and schools have to vastly improve (and affordable housing) for Houston to ever have a shot at really becoming urban. I love what Houston is becoming, it doesn't need to just become a clone of NYC to be great.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thatguysly said:

Everyone keeps wanting to make Houston more like NYC. I get it, it's a great city. But it will never happen. There is a reason that city is so unique. Urbanization is great but getting people out of their cars isn't easy. We don't have good public transportation like NYC has. You would be crazy to drive a car into NYC because of traffic and lack of parking. We grow up here under different circumstances when it comes to transportation and it becomes ingrained in how we commute. Plus we have massive suburbs with no better way to get into town than to drive. The schools within the loop that are public aren't great so people don't want to live in the loop. It creates more driving into the loop to do things than walking. In the end transportation and schools have to vastly improve (and affordable housing) for Houston to ever have a shot at really becoming urban. I love what Houston is becoming, it doesn't need to just become a clone of NYC to be great.

Most major cities around the globe and even here in the US have more in common with New York then they do with Houston.  Striving to add dense walkable pockets in the formerly neglected core doesn't compromise Houston's unique identity.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Dakota79 said:

We do need some pedestrian overpasses though for Westheimer at Highland Village.

I don't mean to paint a negative picture of the people that shop there, but I have a feeling that the patrons would only use them if they had escalators, they would be too good to use stairs.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, kbates2 said:

Most major cities around the globe and even here in the US have more in common with New York then they do with Houston.  Striving to add dense walkable pockets in the formerly neglected core doesn't compromise Houston's unique identity.

And most major cities aren't in Texas. The state is so massive it allowed for the sprawl. In Europe and other areas they had to build up to fit people in. Here everyone wanted their own piece of land so the cities aren't designed to be like those others. Trying to force it to be is not going to happen any quickly or easily.

They just need a couple of well-marked and signaled crosswalks with a safety island in the middle of the street, maybe with some shade structures, and well-marked and shaded paths from the street corners to the shop buildings.  A bigger waste of money than pedestrian overpasses in Highland Village is hard to imagine.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

They just need a couple of well-marked and signaled crosswalks with a safety island in the middle of the street, maybe with some shade structures, and well-marked and shaded paths from the street corners to the shop buildings.  A bigger waste of money than pedestrian overpasses in Highland Village is hard to imagine.

Oh I have a very wasteful imagination

• dedicated subway from the Apple store to Starbucks
  • overhead cable car system that goes from the parking garage to memorial park
  • a scale replica of the Colossus of Rhodes astride Westheimer
  • escalator, stairs and an elevator to a cantilevered viewing platform over the train tracks (does not go back down on the other side)
  • aviary filled with drones
  • Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Impressive line-up though they are taking so long some retailers like Scoop NYC don't even exist anymore lol. Would be really impressed if Soho House and a few others were actually present.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 6/7/2017 at 7:23 AM, thatguysly said:

Nobody is trying to make Houston like NYC haha. Wanting good connected development is needed in every city. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Triton said:

Why am I always disappointed when I open this thread...

Me too. I walk by the site daily. If there is any movement on site I’ll update this thread right away. Don’t hold your breath. I e-mailed the VP who is supposed to be in charge and got an undeliverable message.

• Like 3