Regent Square: Mixed-Use On Allen Parkway At Dunlavy St.

Travel_n_Transport

2 hours ago, Angostura said:

According to this article from a few months ago, Phase 2 is 41-story residential, with the retail coming in Phase 3.

I think the 41-story tower is slated to go immediately south of the Sovereign, but I'm not positive.

Where's the extra floor coming from?

Edit: I'm still rooting for this whole project. The mix of East Coast styles is what this city needs. Too much Florida going on lately.

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2017 at 5:15 AM, Tonyhtown said:

Boy do they keep changing this I think is going on 10 years trying to make this happen they should just forget about it

Changes is part of the design process. I've been in projects where entire portions are either added or subtracted right up until the last minute final construction documents are submitted. A project that is not adjusting or changing in someway throughout the process is not a very good project in my eyes. This project is very active and with a lot of moving parts. I'm sure this whole thing is a logistics nightmare. If I remember correctly this isn't just one firm doing all these projects, but several all at once. Some of the biggest projects in the world take years to develop. Its all part of the industry.

EDIT: If what Tolarwan saying is true then the project is currently in the bidding phase. If that is the case then this project should be underway by this spring.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 3

A few weeks ago some new fencing went up around the Regent Square owned site at Rochow & W Dallas. At the same time, the same contractor put fencing up around the now cancelled Monroe condo site on Rochow (now cancelled).  I thought that was a strange coincidence so I checked HCAD and it looks like the Monroe site was purchased by the Regent Square folks in April 2017...

Has anyone seen any site plans that show any Regent Square development on old Monroe site?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So sorry to get people's hopes up when they see this thread has a new post but I just wanted to comment that I think Houston desperately needs a project just like this one.

I went to Austin this weekend and I tend to stick to Barton Springs, Rainey Street district, downtown, or near Mozart's but my hotel was further north this time and I stayed near an area called the Domain. Absolutely blown away. It was the perfect mixture of bigger name stores, but also bars, restaurants, apartments, and small parks. It was incredibly easy to walk and it was so packed Saturday night. I wasn't able to take any pictures but here are some I found on the web... if Regent Square type projects can be successful in Austin, I know they can be successful here as well even with the more humid climate.

Image result for domain austin

8132823b714fa21095c4495347d1ad1c.jpg

anniv-retaildomain-2009*750xx1200-675-0-

Image result for domain austin bars

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Visitor said:

In what ways do you consider the Domain significantly different than City Center?

Fwiw, I wish projects like regent square would happen as well and also wish the redevelopment of areas like Wash Ave were better coordinated amongst developers and the city to produce more walkable and dense communities.

I agree with you on the Washington part it doesn't seem like it's a lot of cohesiveness in that area. But I will say it's coming together. 

• Like 2

...or Pearland Town Center.

Heck, to an extent, even Rice Village?

I think Sugarland Town Square is probably most close to what is pictured from Austin though, and I think of all the city/town - square/center/market the one in Sugarland is probably the best designed of the ones I've seen around Houston.

I like the speed arresting ideas from that one in Austin though, the bends in the street, things like that. It helps to keep drivers moving slower, and safer for pedestrians, which I don't think that any of the places in Houston that mix cars into it have that.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Visitor said:

In what ways do you consider the Domain significantly different than City Center?

Easy answer to everyone's question because I expected it. It's all of those projects but on steroids. The sheer size of this project is impressive. Blocks upon blocks upon blocks of stores, bars, and apartments AND the light rail is immediately to the east of this near Top Golf. I saw quite a few riders hoping on and off to the apartments near by. And even though it's in the suburbs, it's so well connected to the surrounding area, including the JJ Pickle Research Institute. Sure, we have developments similar to this, but nothing at this size. Perhaps Rice Village comes close but it doesn't have the nightlife nor the bigger retail you would see from a mall. It's honestly the perfect combination for all sorts of people. I couldn't find any pictures online that really do it justice.... hopefully when ya'll are in Austin, you can check it out and you'll understand what I mean. Or do Google Streetview and "drive around" I guess.

Edit: And perhaps even looking again at the renderings for Regent Square, this project won't quite match that either. But I seriously believe we need some type of project at this scale and so well connected like this in Houston. Fingers crossed we get this at Hardy Yards with the Burnett transit center connection but who knows...

• Like 3

I'm with you @Triton. Naturally the main challenge in Houston is the land grabbing by disparate developers that completely kills this type of thing inside the loop. The best place that this could have happened at is the Target, tarkett, Kroger, stude junction, detering tracts. 

Houston's opposition to rail transit personally infuriates and baffles me. 

Regarding hardy yards, it's going to have to come a long way for me to want to go over there. The affordable housing focus makes me less optimistic about Hardy becoming anything like this, but I certainly wouldn't hate it :)

Edit: won't be Nordstrom or Neiman bc they have regional restrictions on how close their stores can be. Maybe something way out on the Grand Parkway, haha.

Edited by Visitor
  • Like 1

Getting in and out of these outdoor, mixed-use "malls" always grinds my gears no matter if it's The Domain, City Centre, First Colony, or The Woodlands. I tend to gravitate to developments without so many stores and restaurants packed into one area. I like that Regent Square would surround and directly link to existing communities that are becoming denser. The Domain and City Centre pack in all these shops adjacent to freeways and I tend to avoid going to them because of traffic.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, skooljunkie said:

Getting in and out of these outdoor, mixed-use "malls" always grinds my gears no matter if it's The Domain, City Centre, First Colony, or The Woodlands. I tend to gravitate to developments without so many stores and restaurants packed into one area. I like that Regent Square would surround and directly link to existing communities that are becoming denser. The Domain and City Centre pack in all these shops adjacent to freeways and I tend to avoid going to them because of traffic.

Well, it sounds like you're not their target market, then.

• Like 1

moo. The Domain works if you are into that sort of thing but I actually prefer the more organic growth taking place in central Houston. 

Just think, in 3-4 years, Kirby drive between Westheimer and Richmond will have West Avenue, Kirby Collection, 2727, Hanover River Oaks, Whole Foods, Local, Kuhl-Lincsomb, that fancy midrise condo, Carraba's empire, and neighborhoods on all four sides that are connected by a street grid to the area filled with houses, townhouse, condos, and apartments. 

• Like 6

There's nothing organic about Upper Kirby, the TIRZ widened the road and landscaped it to look like a mini highway with cars going 40+ on it. It's a major thoroughfare and try crossing the street at Kirby and Whole Foods on a bike to see how long can happen without getting hit lol... None of the things mentioned except for Kuhl Lindscome embrace the street they are part of in an open way. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Triton said:

Easy answer to everyone's question because I expected it. It's all of those projects but on steroids. The sheer size of this project is impressive. Blocks upon blocks upon blocks of stores, bars, and apartments AND the light rail is immediately to the east of this near Top Golf. I saw quite a few riders hoping on and off to the apartments near by. And even though it's in the suburbs, it's so well connected to the surrounding area, including the JJ Pickle Research Institute. Sure, we have developments similar to this, but nothing at this size. Perhaps Rice Village comes close but it doesn't have the nightlife nor the bigger retail you would see from a mall. It's honestly the perfect combination for all sorts of people. I couldn't find any pictures online that really do it justice.... hopefully when ya'll are in Austin, you can check it out and you'll understand what I mean. Or do Google Streetview and "drive around" I guess.

Edit: And perhaps even looking again at the renderings for Regent Square, this project won't quite match that either. But I seriously believe we need some type of project at this scale and so well connected like this in Houston. Fingers crossed we get this at Hardy Yards with the Burnett transit center connection but who knows...

I've been there.  You are correct, our older friends in Austin love the Domain as well as our daughter who's in college.  For me personally, it feels too sterile and 'dystopian' in a way...I do think it works well for those who want the 'energy' of the city without 'messiness' (e.g., homelessness) that occurs in urban areas that are more organic.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, iah77 said:

There's nothing organic about Upper Kirby, the TIRZ widened the road and landscaped it to look like a mini highway with cars going 40+ on it. It's a major thoroughfare and try crossing the street at Kirby and Whole Foods on a bike to see how long can happen without getting hit lol... None of the things mentioned except for Kuhl Lindscome embrace the street they are part of in an open way. 

1) My Mom lives 3 blocks off of Kirby. She and her dog walk to Whole Foods every morning where she crosses Kirby twice. She's never had an issue. 

2) Who said anything about embracing the street? What street does the Domain embrace? It has MOPAC on one side and its neighbors are a suburban office park, surface parking lots, and streets that are very suburban in nature (no street grid).

3) The Domain is a really nice upscale outdoor mall. That's it. There's nothing special about it other than it is in Austin and it has access to light rail (despite said access it is engulfed by massive parking garages, surface parking lots, and even pull in street parking.

4) Look at the Domain on google earth. Yeah, it's magical...

• Like 6

yeah, but it's residential and commercial mixed together.

looking at the pictures, what makes this special over the Houston comparable places is the layout of the streets on the interior. It's based on a Dutch idea.. woonerf https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woonerf

I'd love to see some of those ideas implemented at the Houston versions of city/town/village center/market/centre/square.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

1) My Mom lives 3 blocks off of Kirby. She and her dog walk to Whole Foods every morning where she crosses Kirby twice. She's never had an issue. 

2) Who said anything about embracing the street? What street does the Domain embrace? It has MOPAC on one side and its neighbors are a suburban office park, surface parking lots, and streets that are very suburban in nature (no street grid).

3) The Domain is a really nice upscale outdoor mall. That's it. There's nothing special about it other than it is in Austin and it has access to light rail (despite said access it is engulfed by massive parking garages, surface parking lots, and even pull in street parking.

4) Look at the Domain on google earth. Yeah, it's magical...

And it's a stretch to say it has access to light rail.  (1) Austin's "light rail" is more accurately called "commuter rail".  It only runs approximately every 30 minutes.  (2) Very few people ride Austin's rail (average daily boardings are only about 2,200! and (3) it's a pretty long walk from the station to the Domain.  Something like 3/4 of a mile.

• Like 3