Incarnate Word Academy At 609 Crawford St.

Houston19514

44 minutes ago, Purdueenginerd said:

Not to be obtuse, but perhaps this was less obvious than I thought, but on the Houston Architecture website, it is okay to have a critical  and negative opinion on the Architecture of the building. 

Nope. Not unless you own it cuz America, moran. #freedom. #boilersarecommies

• Like 7

If I'm recalling my upbringing properly, Holy Mother The Church as a body doesn't do a whole lot of listening.  (he said, quickly hiding his knuckles from the certain swack of a ruler administered by a nun coming out of nowhere)

the blues brothers

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

If you didn't know what was there before, you probably don't think much of this new addition. It certainly blends well with the bookend buildings on either side. It's a shame the school didn't keep up with the old building enough to prevent it from falling into disrepair, but that time has come and gone..

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Texasota said:

It's just a building; reverence is neither necessary or appropriate.

Cardinal Dinardo Blesses Campus Addition: https://incarnateword.org/website/index.php/about/news/145-cardinal-dinardo-blesses-campus-addition

Cardinal_WebArticle.jpg.d515c6a8a99b5ce59d6a1b22b45daff4.jpg

The Incarnate Word, is literally the word of God made flesh, Jesus Christ. Accordingly, If you Photoshop something inappropriate next to the image of the Incarnate Word, that is sacrilege. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, gmac said:

Pretty cool looking school.

I love it. The academy is in the business of saving souls and this new addition will help further that mission. Also from an urban city perspective, more space means more students can enroll. More enrolled students means a larger urban downtown population.

It's funny to read the loonies on here demand more urban this and more urban that (although not putting up any of their own money). Then when a school tries to expand its footprint and become a larger urban neighbor in order to accommodate the needs of the community (on its own dime), those same posters complain. 

As has been noted before, this is an architecture forum. The entire point of this website is to examine, criticize, and celebrate architecture. 

And this thing is not infill. It it not making this site "more urban." This is one building replacing another. It is entirely appropriate to compare the two buildings, and, just because this thing is newer and (somewhat) bigger does not mean it is better. 

7 hours ago, Texasota said:

As has been noted before, this is an architecture forum. The entire point of this website is to examine, criticize, and celebrate architecture.

Then I would suggest you stick to that. If you were attending an architectural conference in New York or Chicago and someone asked you to critique and examine  this building and your educated response was to call it a turd, they would think you are a crazy person and not worthy of serious architectural discussion. Same goes to the guy who committed sacrilege by Photoshoping that obscenity on the side of the building. 

No offense meant, but why rage? Where was the money for the preservation? I did not like it when the Shamrock and the old Prudential buildings were torn down, but in truth what can be done? Is there a mechanism to make preservation of these buildings economically feasible? Why would MD Anderson spend money to prop up a building their analysts found unfeasible? How could this school with an even smaller budget accomplish this? You are correct. It is a beautiful and irreplacable building sandwiched between two architecturally unimpressive buildings. I think the folks at IWA mourned the loss of this building, but life is full of unpleasant but necessary decisions. And yes, give the people at IWA  credit. They did not cut and run like many Houston businesses when the area went derelict ( not that I blame them I would have done the same thing)

Edited by Twinsanity02
grammar
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

No offense meant, but why rage? Where was the money for the preservation? I did not like it when the Shamrock and the old Prudential buildings were torn down, but in truth what can be done? Is there a mechanism to make preservation of these buildings economically feasible? Why would MD Anderson spend money to prop up a building their analysts found unfeasible? How could this school with an even smaller budget accomplish this? You are correct. It is a beautiful and irreplacable building sandwiched between two architecturally unimpressive buildings. I think the folks at IWA mourned the loss of this building, but life is full of unpleasant but necessary decisions. And yes, give the people at IWA  credit. They did not cut and run like many Houston businesses when the area went derelict ( not that I blame them I would have done the same thing)

5994a0048279e_downtownhouston.thumb.JPG.5fbd1a81ea54cfe6b39eff0ae2e1864b.JPG

• Like 2

The Houston-Galveston archdiocese isn't exactly insolvent.  And according to the IWA website, "it strives to offer a solid foundation in the basics of a liberal arts education."

My own liberal arts education included studies of art and history (among other things), and most assuredly did not include a course on how a strict dollars and cents analysis should govern all decisions.

From that picture, it looked like the school had two other, older, buildings for expansion at one point.  So when they built the new building, they had to have made the conscious decision to preserve that middle building the first time.  This makes me more able to believe them saying that the middle building was beyond repair, though I don't understand why the new building had to look so much like a self storage center

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 102IAHexpress said:

Then I would suggest you stick to that. If you were attending an architectural conference in New York or Chicago and someone asked you to critique and examine  this building and your educated response was to call it a turd, they would think you are a crazy person and not worthy of serious architectural discussion. Same goes to the guy who committed sacrilege by Photoshoping that obscenity on the side of the building. 

Lighten up Francis.

• Like 1

I never said or implied the Diocese is insolvent. I am not privy to their finacial health. Nevertheless seeing what Texas A&M did to the Shamrock and MD Anderson did to the Prudential building ( both of which were marvelous building in my opinion) one can assume insolvency is a non-issue in these situations.. I my not like it but I suspect it has to do with straight forward non-sentimental financial decisions. I would not be surprised if the Diocese used the same reasoning. Just glad a few buildings such as the old Texaco and Texas State hotel building survived. Hoping the Great Southwestern building makes a comeback.