Incarnate Word Academy At 609 Crawford St.

Houston19514

I call myself a preservationist. There is no one flavor of preservation... I often empathize with people who look at things differently in an attempt to preserve at least some of our history...

However, this house was so severely stripped and reconstructed with non-historic materials, I am not sure why they bothered at all. Are the columns even the historic columns? The windows are new and different in design than the originals. The siding is not real wood. The interior is all new. And to add insult to the entire process, they decided to add this partially covered stair case in a bad 90's style attached to the "original" house! What even is this tumor on the backside of this home? At best an addition to a historic house does not distract from the original home. This addition looks like a 1990's garden apartment staircase in the suburbs!?

Why did they even want this house if they were going to do all this to it? Why did our historic preservation office not work with them on best practices? So many questions...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Avossos said:

And to add insult to the entire process, they decided to add this partially covered stair case in a bad 90's style attached to the "original" house! What even is this tumor on the backside of this home? At best an addition to a historic house does not distract from the original home. This addition looks like a 1990's garden apartment staircase in the suburbs!?

Yeah, the enclosed staircase is especially rankling. With the color, it kind of makes me think of a 1980's beach condo community in Galveston with a name like "Vista del Sol." There should be a beat up Dr. Pepper vending machine underneath the stairs.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

• The title was changed to Incarnate Word Academy At 609 Crawford St.
  • 11 months later...
On 12/12/2023 at 11:57 AM, hindesky said:

Proposed plat called Capitol Garage for the new parking garage that was rumored. Harvey is the builder.

sNBJgyn.pngptMmJG9.png

c3vWIQk.png

l37tYU6.jpg

tOyYKpg.png

Does this mean Crane was not able to buy this block for more space for his entertainment development? I know he mentioned he was hoping to build them an underground garage or something so that he could build on the lot. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2023 at 11:28 AM, nate4l1f3 said:

Does this mean Crane was not able to buy this block for more space for his entertainment development? I know he mentioned he was hoping to build them an underground garage or something so that he could build on the lot. 

The garage is to help support the new ballpark village development. Was always part of the plan from the beginning. Nothing new here 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tigereye said:

The garage is to help support the new ballpark village development. Was always part of the plan from the beginning. Nothing new here 

hmmm i recall him wanting to specifically build an underground garage so that he could build on top of that land. He was still working to convince the church of that the last tie i heard