Incarnate Word Academy At 609 Crawford St.

Houston19514

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 0:27 PM, bobruss said:

This was a major f-up!

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 7:29 PM, UtterlyUrban said:

The nuns should be embarrassed

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 10:24 PM, Dustin said:

I think it's a crying shame. They could have saved and renovated it if they wanted to. They just didn't want to and didn't have the nerve to be honest about it.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 3:11 PM, bobruss said:

I hope the nuns have to say a thousand hell mary's for destroying the Nicholas Clayton for this piece of crap.

Get the ruler. They need to pay penance for this.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 7:20 PM, Texasota said:

Maybe they should pay taxes if they don't want public input on what they do.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 10:52 AM, Texasota said:

In an earlier post, you said they were in the "business of saving souls," but no, they're really not. 

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 6:33 PM, Avossos said:

God knows if they are even around in 30 years. 

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:37 PM, UtterlyUrban said:

"IWA"

Intentionally Wrecked Architecture"?

The above comments don't sound like critiques on the building. They are obviously attacks on the sisters of IWA.

haters going to hate indeed. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 102IAHexpress said:

The above comments don't sound like critiques on the building. They are obviously attacks on the sisters of IWA.

haters going to hate indeed. 

The above quotes do seem very thin on architectural critique and heavily invested in what passes as modern,  adolescent sounding,  trendy bigotry. To this add  never actually communicate with the target of the bigotry but make self-created assumptions on what they think. Let's stick to architecture and quit ridiculing people we do not know. 

• Like 1

It's sad that we have to be reminded to stick to discussing architecture and quit ridiculing people we do not know. To say nothing of the fact that the people being ridiculed are nuns! Imagine if we took out the word nuns and inserted Muslims. This thread would have been shut down along time ago.

This was a complete failure of leadership by the moderators of this forum. shame. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Most of the references I've found to Quality Hill show it between Franklin and Commerce, so the houses in the photo might be a block or two South. I think the building might actually be the Ben Milam Hotel. The Anderson Clayton building is 16 stories tall, the Ben Milam was 10.

Edited by Ross
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ross said:

Most of the references I've found to Quality Hill show it between Franklin and Commerce, so the houses in the photo might be a block or two South. I think the building might actually be the Ben Milam Hotel. The Anderson Clayton building is 16 stories tall, the Ben Milam was 10.

43 minutes ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Wow. Great find! I don't think that's the Anderson Clayton Bldg. I think that's the old Penn Hotel? Looks like the sign might say Will Penn, no? But that could easily be it on Texas Avenue putting the photographer to the northwest of the Church.

Good call, I never thought of it being a no longer existent building.

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Incarnate Word Academy
On 9/3/2019 at 6:51 AM, Nate99 said:

I'm guessing they've done the math on what they can charge for parking during Astros home games, and it came out positive. 

This is flat out false and wrong. 

Astros fans looking for parking are considered trespassers and regularly bounced from trying to park on the lot whether they want to pay to park or not. The pastor will not even allow parishioners to park on the lot, attend mass, and then attend MMP afterwards. The surface lot and future garage (if it is ever built) will be 100% free of charge for Annunciation/IWA parishioners, faculty, administration, staff and visitors. 

Edited by 102IAHexpress
edit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

That's unfortunate. If nothing else, I would think they would want to recoup some of the expenses.

Of course, it's entirely possible that (alleged) policy could change if they actually built the parking garage and possibly had more spaces than they needed on a daily basis...

Recall, there was some arrangement between the Incarnate Word Academy and Houston First Corporation regarding this proposed garage.  I had always presumed the arrangement included parking availability for the then-proposed Houston visitors center/museum across the street.

A single-patron garage at this location would be incredibly wasteful. I would think it would be mostly empty in the evenings, exactly when it would be most useful to people coming down for events. If Houston First has anything to do with this project I would be very surprised if it's not open to public, at least outside of school and service hours. 

31 minutes ago, Texasota said:

A single-patron garage at this location would be incredibly wasteful. I would think it would be mostly empty in the evenings, exactly when it would be most useful to people coming down for events. If Houston First has anything to do with this project I would be very surprised if it's not open to public, at least outside of school and service hours. 

I think that they are desperate to assure parishioners and school families that there is always a place to park, easy and free, at their church.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 102IAHexpress said:

This is flat out false and wrong. 

Astros fans looking for parking are considered trespassers and regularly bounced from trying to park on the lot whether they want to pay to park or not. The pastor will not even allow parishioners to park on the lot, attend mass, and then attend MMP afterwards. The surface lot and future garage (if it is ever built) will be 100% free of charge for Annunciation/IWA parishioners, faculty, administration, staff and visitors. 

It may be a bad guess, but it's just that, so wasn't a factual assertion at all.

The current lot is small, and access right off Texas has to be a mess at peak game time, but many private garages make extra effort to get gameday parkers in, I don't think IWA/Annunciation's current situation would preclude having a plan for a garage that made them extra revenue without conflicting with the needs of the church/school. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Texasota said:

It would be incredibly useful actually. A church parking lot that appears full is a warning sign for most church goers to not even attempt to park and instead go on their way. Simply put if it looks like too much of a hassle they will leave and go somewhere else. In this case, instead of parking at Annunciation they will leave and attend mass at the Co-Cathedral with plenty of easier parking on that side of Downtown. 

I'll refer you to the Ten Commandments of Church parking. https://thomrainer.com/2016/03/ten-commandments-church-parking-lots/

11 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Of course, it's entirely possible that (alleged) policy could change if they actually built the parking garage and possibly had more spaces than they needed on a daily basis...

Recall, there was some arrangement between the Incarnate Word Academy and Houston First Corporation regarding this proposed garage.  I had always presumed the arrangement included parking availability for the then-proposed Houston visitors center/museum across the street.

haha, l love that "alleged" quip. Totally clueless. 

Without getting into a tax seminar, the proposed parking garage is up in the air right now. One of the updates to the tax code from the 2017 Tax Cut and Jobs Act affects for the first time churches and their parking lots, believe it or not. Google "Church Parking Tax" It may get repealed it may not. 

The new code is below. 

26 U.S. Code Section 512(a)(7)

(7) Increase in unrelated business taxable income by disallowed fringe

Unrelated business taxable income of an organization shall be increased by any amount for which a deduction is not allowable under this chapter by reason of section 274 and which is paid or incurred by such organization for any qualified transportation fringe (as defined in section 132(f)), any parking facility used in connection with qualified parking (as defined in section 132(f)(5)(C)), or any on-premises athletic facility (as defined in section 132(j)(4)(B)). The preceding sentence shall not apply to the extent the amount paid or incurred is directly connected with an unrelated trade or business which is regularly carried on by the organization. The Secretary shall issue such regulations or other guidance as may be necessary or appropriate to carry out the purposes of this paragraph, including regulations or other guidance providing for the appropriate allocation of depreciation and other costs with respect to facilities used for parking or for on-premises athletic facilities. 

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/512

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

They somehow sucked every bit of authentic history out of that building and made it look like a house in one of those suburban, plantation-themed master-planned communities that are trying to look historic.

I was going to say its an ugly shade of puke, but that was more eloquent

• Like 2