Minute Maid Park Mixed-Use Development

Brandon55

2 hours ago, Texasota said:

Something more like the Nationals' set up in DC would be nice.

Isn’t that what Crane mentioned?  Either that or the Atlanta development, which should be very fresh in his mind having visited it over the course of the World Series last season.

3 hours ago, Brooklyn173 said:

A bunch of newer stadiums are going towards the entertainment adjacent commercial hub, moving away from the older stadium surrounded by parking. But from what I've seen, the Cardinals and Texas Rangers and Diamondbacks etc set up is very game day centric. They tend to be as almost empty other times. But the San Diego Petco Stadium is very interesting. Very little stadium parking and adjacent to an existing entertainment district. Even the Tony Gwynn Park shifts from a neighborhood park to part of the stadium with the opening and closing of gates. So it is available to the community. I hope whatever Crane does is not just a Minute Made asset, but is a city asset.

That's the advantage our ballpark has being built downtown. The Rangers aren't going to get much revenue in their entertainment district outside of games, and it's because of the location and the sea of parking around the stadium. SD is right downtown so it's easy to access and check out on non game days, which makes it a 24hr spot for fans. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 6

DC's is much better tied into surrounding neighborhoods and the city as a whole though.

Some of that is built in to Minute Maid's location, but I'd hate to see whatever Crane develops become a weird inward-looking theme park that turns its back on the rest of the city.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, shasta said:

Didn't Randall Davis, with the Rice conversion to Residential, along with a few other pave the way before Fingers?

Plus, how many here remember the once proposed residential high rise on the block on Main that used to house a suburban style McDonalds?

Yes he did. I remember waiting for the bus by the Rice before it was transformed. The smell of frequent urination and whatever was hideous. North of the Rice on Main St. it wasn't much better

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 10:45 PM, mattyt36 said:

Hotel guests are what? Probably 3-5 more times likely to eat out on a given night than a resident (for obvious reasons)? Convention business is also key to developing the tourism market. It’s fair to say a nice mix of both is essential—take a look at any city in that regard.

I saw this illustrated very well this past Sunday.

The Astros were playing in Washington.  Main Street was almost a ghost town.  Normally, when the Astros are playing in town, the whole area is jumping. 

Here's my personal economic indicator:  When I go to Frank's, it's almost always at the same time on the same days.  Frank's receipts are numbered sequentially, resetting at the beginning of each day.  If it's an ordinary day, I might be order #250.  If there's a baseball game at Minute Maid Park, I'm generally order 500+.

I'm not big on sportsball, but even I can't deny its economic impact.

• Like 9

21 hours ago, shasta said:

Didn't Randall Davis, with the Rice conversion to Residential, along with a few other pave the way before Fingers?

Plus, how many here remember the once proposed residential high rise on the block on Main that used to house a suburban style McDonalds?

I said there was no modern precedent for "new residential construction downtown." The Randall Davis stuff was renovations of older buildings, which is much easier to pull off financially, and it did pave the way in a sense. But the two proposed high rises that died before breaking ground - Ballpark Place and The Shamrock (the one you're referring to) - were basically blood in the water that served as a warning for developers trying to build new residential downtown.

20 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

And, knowing Tilman to be the competitive guy he is, hopefully he'd do something for the Toyota Center, with the caveat that he doesn't own any of the surrounding land, of course.

First thing is make the Rockets competitive again. Second is bring in that NHL franchise.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, toxtethogrady said:

First thing is make the Rockets competitive again. Second is bring in that NHL franchise.

Well, I've definitely done my part by bringing out the big guns (@august948 would be proud!) by posting my opinions on the subject of the NHL Houston Aeros on this very message board.  Guess I will have to sharpen my pencil and write a letter to the editor of the Houston Chronicle, that should do it!  🤣

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mattyt36 said:

Well, I've definitely done my part by bringing out the big guns (@august948 would be proud!) by posting my opinions on the subject of the NHL Houston Aeros on this very message board.  Guess I will have to sharpen my pencil and write a letter to the editor of the Houston Chronicle, that should do it!  🤣

1566157384-2033_2583.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

• The title was changed to Minute Maid Park Mixed-Use Development
  • 6 months later...
On 2/10/2021 at 9:57 AM, wilcal said:

New Chron article on the topic: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Historic-home-in-shadow-of-Minute-Maid-Park-on-15937594.php

Also says that Astros agreed to being mixed-use development within four year of May 2020. 

Reminder: Astros have agreement with city council to begin development within 4 years of May 2020. 

We should probably see news/renderings on this sometime this year or by 2024 FanFest. 

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, tigereye said:

Reminder: Astros have agreement with city council to begin development within 4 years of May 2020. 

We should probably see news/renderings on this sometime this year or by 2024 FanFest. 

Interesting.  Thanks for the reminders.  (Of course, that's as reported by the Chronicle, so . . .  😉 )

2 hours ago, tigereye said:

Does anyone even know which Developer the Astros are working with?

I haven't heard anything about this project other than rumors here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tigereye said:

Seems strange not to announce something ahead of the 2024 season on the momentum of the World Series victory purely for marketing purposes . . . it's not like they have to move dirt any time soon.

55 minutes ago, shasta said:

Apparently, according to the rumors on here, they have 11 months to "move dirt".

Sounds like now is the time to have conceptual renderings then!

(I doubt the 11-month development "starting" timeline requires them to actually "move dirt" in that timeframe, but rather reach a certain design milestone that would allow them to obtain some permits or financing, etc.  Regardless that which City Council has granted, it can grant again with an extension of the development period.)

Edited by mattyt36

• 3 weeks later...