East End Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

On 5/29/2020 at 1:38 PM, linearmovement said:

La Reynera

Bakery/Tacos

McKinney, near Cullen

Killer tortas, bolillos, conchas, etc

Not sure about BYOB; more of a takeout spot

La Reynera

Their breakfast tacos/burritos and salsa... my mouth is watering.

Crystal Sword

Coffee Shop

Telephone & Fourcade

Latte, Cappuccino, Americano

They sell beer & wine, but more importantly, specialty board games.

Taqueria Monchys

Texas Mex/Mexican

719 Telephone Rd

Any of their breakfast burritos

N/A

District 7

Bar Food

Bell & Hutchins

Hot Buffalo Chicken Pizza (Do not go for brunch)

Beer on tap

Indianola

Gulf Coast/Texas

St Emanuel & Dallas

Brunch

Full cocktail list

Tout Suite

Bakery/Comfort

Commerce & Chartres

Grilled Cheese with Tomato Basil Soup (plus the Macaroons are great)

Wine/Beer/Cocktail List

Original Ninfa's on Navigation

TexMex

Navigation & Delano

Fajitas, Flautas, Tacos, anything really. Best to share with someone the portions are huge.

Wine/Beer/Cocktail List (spicy margarita is amazing. Can't remember if it's cucumber and jalapeno or something like that).

Places I want to try:

How to Survive on Land & Sea

Sigma Brewing Company

Taqueria Los Mexicanos

Antojitos Salvadorenos

East End Hardware

Restaurante Monte Cristo

Chapman And Kirby

Lil' Danny Speedo's Go Fly a Kite Lounge

Places I would not recommend:

Mandola's Deli (food was mediocre and their hours at 10am-6pm. They serve beer and wine.

Kim Son (Continues to go down hill)

Rodeo Goat (tried it twice - fool me once, you can't fool me again)

Truck Yard (Beer and atmosphere, yes, Cheesesteaks and other food, no)

Moon Tower Inn (Beer and atmosphere, yes, food no)

Voodoo Queen (Daiquiris and atmosphere, yes, bar food no)

El Charro Mexican Bar & Grill (everything is a grease sponge)

SeaSide Poke (🤢)

8th Wonder Brewery (Beer and food. Not every beer needs to be 80% hops)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

Places I would not recommend:

Moon Tower Inn (Beer and atmosphere, yes, food no)

What did you order? Everything I've ever had was great (but I admittedly just eat all the various dogs they have).

• Like 4

I've had Moon Tower a ton of times and the food is awesome.  The burgers are legit as are the dogs.  I usually go for chef's choice for the toppings on my hot dog and that is where you run a high risk/reward chance.  I've had amazing dogs that way and have had some failures too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

Places I want to try:

Sigma Brewing Company

Taqueria Los Mexicanos

Lil' Danny Speedo's Go Fly a Kite Lounge

Taqueria Los Mexicanos is fantastic and highly recommended!

Sigma and LDSGFaKL don't serve their own food, but Speedo's frequently has pretty good food trucks and pop-ups (Street to Kitchen Thai, Pan de Taco, etc).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JBTX said:

What did you order? Everything I've ever had was great (but I admittedly just eat all the various dogs they have).

Everything I've had has been sloppy & gross - sandwiches, burgers, and dogs. Not on the level of drunk to enjoy it.

sigma brewing is good beer.

moon tower is good beer, but I can see how the food may not be enjoyed. I like my hotdogs where the flavor of the meat is the primary flavor. they add so many toppings on their dogs that you can barely taste the meat for all the relish, and whatnot. it really depends on how you enjoy your dogs. you can always order without the stuff on it you don't want, the meat really is great though, as are the buns. 

how to survive on land and sea, I went with my wife while they were doing their soft opening (before lockdown) I was happy to find that they had a few beers in addition to the wine.

I dislike 8th wonder for the same reason listed above, way too much hops.

edit: guess I pinned Montrose's concerns of Moon Tower on the nose :)

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

SeaSide and Moon Tower are both great, they deserve no slander. Sadly the parking situation on Emancipation is a mess and I refuse to pay $10 for parking to go in and grab a poke bowl, so I go to SeaSide a lot less now. 

I thought that the parking lot across the street from SeaSide could be used by their customers? Pretty sure I saw a sign that said that. 

15 hours ago, wilcal said:

I thought that the parking lot across the street from SeaSide could be used by their customers? Pretty sure I saw a sign that said that. 

While I haven't been in a few months due to COVID-19, the last time I was there the lot was purely a paid lot with two lunch-time 15 minute spots. This changed after the rules for minimum parking changed, which is theory is great for allowing more businesses to open but in practice kind of stinks in a city that is still so reliant on driving. 

Not a restaurant but St. Bernard on Canal has comedy on Fridays and it's both great and horribly cringeworthy all at the same time. They carry classic domestic beers + crafts (salty lady - hello!)

Also, Vinny's Pizza is in Eado and owned by agricole hosptiality and both delicious and incredibly fast.

+ Broccoli Salad
+ Pizza with ricotta (too lazy to look up teh name)

+ Also sell some tak & bake coltivare pastas

Edited by ljchou
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Lucky’s Pub is closing 😕

Honestly it’s not a big loss. I always found it to be dingy, dark, and kind of gross, and the food wasn’t great. Pitch 25 opening was the beginning of the end for Lucky’s.

Plus, my credit card got compromised there several years ago. Manager didn’t seem too interested in investigating. So maybe I’m a bit biased against it. Oh well.

18 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Lucky’s Pub is closing 😕

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/06/13/bar-customers-a-little-too-close-for-comfort-for-county-city-leaders-in-houston/

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/06-12-20-luckys-pub-lodge-eado-sports-bar-closed-shuttered/

Already packing up - a bunch of movers emptying out the club

50002206452_78550b9342_k.jpgUntitled by Houston Midtown, on Flickr

Edited by HoustonMidtown
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Lucky’s Pub is closing 😕

Between this, and the other location at White Oak and Houston Ave. that has flooded multiple times, I'm thinking that in hindsight maybe they should've picked another name.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

On 6/13/2020 at 5:35 AM, HoustonMidtown said:

Houston looks like a totally different city from that angle. 

• Like 2

• The title was changed to 2112 Pease Street, New Bar?
  • 10 months later...
On 6/12/2020 at 4:32 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

Lucky’s Pub is closing 😕

When I drove by today there were workers on the patio of Lucky's Lodge. There was also a plumbing van out front. This is across the street from Lucky's pub. Not sure if this is the proper place to post this but couldn't find a post on Lucky's Lodge. 

Edited by Eastdwntwn

10 hours ago, Eastdwntwn said:

When I drove by today there were workers on the patio of Lucky's Lodge. There was also a plumbing van out front. This is across the street from Lucky's pub. Not sure if this is the proper place to post this but couldn't find a post on Lucky's Lodge. 

I live near here and they've been working on the old "Lucky's Lodge" now for weeks... not sure if it's gonna be a new bar or restaurant (or both) but something is definitely going there.

Edited by HtownWxBoy

I'm surprised at the comment regarding Moon Tower Inn. Hot dogs are definitely very good and you can choose your own toppings, let the house choose for you, or no toppings. Burgers are okay, but not that bad, but I wouldn't recommend for their burgers. Tacos were a disappointment. Hot dogs is where is at with Moon Tower Inn. It's too bad they don't have their deviled eggs anymore, those were really good. 

On 7/3/2021 at 2:48 AM, HtownWxBoy said:

I live near here and they've been working on the old "Lucky's Lodge" now for weeks... not sure if it's gonna be a new bar or restaurant (or both) but something is definitely going there.

I drive by early in the mornings on my way to work - yesterday the interior was light up with lots of blue (maybe neon) lights....definitely seemed to give a bar vibe...

Big fan of Moon Tower dogs and I think their burgers are solid.

Roostar was very good! The convenience and quality of it exceeds any slight increase in prices vs other viet food spots around. They also have beer on tap and a other stuff in their fridge if you want, which is pretty cool.

Teapresso bar (coffee/boba tea spot) is opening up a location right next door to Roostar and their sign is up already (but I think they still have a few months before they're ready to open).

• Like 2

On 7/9/2021 at 5:45 AM, HoustonMidtown said:

I drive by early in the mornings on my way to work - yesterday the interior was light up with lots of blue (maybe neon) lights....definitely seemed to give a bar vibe...

They are also building booths for sitting on the outside side patio. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HtownWxBoy said:

They are also building booths for sitting on the outside side patio. 

It's curious that they are doing any renovations at all to the Lucky's Lodge building, considering it is in the path of the I-45 reroute.

I've heard of some land owners throwing up a shoddy building quickly to try to increase value and obtain a larger buyout from whatever governmental entity is exercising eminent domain, but I wouldn't think the ROI on doing a similar thing with renovations would be there. Very odd. 

I think they are tenants of that building. maybe they were due for resigning the lease, they were about to exercise the option to walk, and the building owners had to offer some TI to keep them in the space?

I think they're the only tenants in that strip center right now. the pandemic hit that specific lot hard.