East End Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

• 7 months later...

This is the original (Ninfa) Laurenzo family. I think they still own the original Ninfa's on Navigation. Their other 3 El Tiempo's are on Richmond, Washington and Montrose. The food is good, but they tend to be a little pricey.

I like them. Their menu is huge and food has always been good. I frequent the one on Montrose. At the one on Richmond your pretty much forced to valet park so I rarely go there. Food is not any pricier then say Papasitos or Lupe's. Their margaritas are outstanding. Also love the refried bean dip.

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Wanted to provide an update.

I tried them out when they opened. it was not that great. but gave them a month or two to get settled in and they really hit what I feel is a decent stride in the taste of their food.

the brisket is very moist, flavorful and tender.

the hot mess is a hot mess. I consider it 2 meals, I could kill it in one sitting, but I'd be lethargic for the next few days, otherwise it's actually pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Shipley's Donut at 3726 Scott St
  • 1 month later...

preface: there's a lot of new residents checking out this sub forum, they are looking for good places to eat. Let's use this to share locations, and recommendations. 

you can format your recommendations however you want, but to make it easy, try:

restaurant name

food type

favorite dish

BYOB?

Kanomwan

Thai

https://goo.gl/maps/dLxueyTtQd8Ug3oL7

Pad Ka Pow

yes! BYOB!

Huyhn

Vietnamese

https://g.page/HuynhRestaurant?share

yes! BOYB!

Texas Taco and BBQ

tacos and BBQ

https://goo.gl/maps/vsvWqvWXhbFUJhGb9

hot mess (loaded BBQ baked potato, only it's french fries instead of a baked potato, and some queso)

no :(

• Like 1

I get weird looks when I say it, but Merida's is the best Mexican food on Navigation. Spanks Ninfa's and El Tiempo.

Only thing is, Merida's is Mexican, not TexMex, so some of their TexMex is moo (sorry queso).

Best dishes: pollo pibil and the salsa with serranos and chili pequines that they don't give to everyone unless they know you (just ask for the "other salsa" or "the hotter salsa").

Not BYOB, probably, but I don't know if they'll stop you. 

Edited by JBTX
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, JBTX said:

I get weird looks when I say it, but Merida's is the best Mexican food on Navigation. Spanks Ninfa's and El Tiempo.

Only thing is, Merida's is Mexican, not TexMex, so some of their TexMex is moo (sorry queso).

Best dishes: pollo pibil and the salsa with serranos and chili pequines that they don't give to everyone unless they know you (just ask for the "other salsa" or "the hotter salsa").

Not BYOB, probably, but I don't know if they'll stop you. 

Whole heatedly agree. It's better priced than the other places down the road. They're not BYOB though. 

Most importantly, they have the best margaritas in Houston, IMO. Specifically order the Fresh Lime Margaritas.  They blow the house margs out of the water.  They're cheaper and better than others in the area. Trust me, I know from experience 😄.  I've been a fan of this gem and walk over for dinner often, but I've been picking up food and margaritas especially nowadays where you can take them to-go!

• Like 1

Also to add to the list:

*I'm not aware of the BYOB policy on any of these places.  I'm not even sure if I've ever brought my own booze into an establishment before. 

*Skipping adding the location because you're probably going to Google the place before you go anyway.

Nancy's hustle

New American/Bistro

Everything on the menu.  Especially Nancy Cakes.   

Villas Arcos

Breakfast tacos

Chorizo taco with beans and cheese

Treats of Mexico

Mexican desserts and snacks

Chamoyadas.  Or Unique ice cream flavors served in a concha bun.

Rodeo Goat

Burgers

'Boadacious' burger

Edited by EaDolivin
Removed Cajun Town. It closed down in May.
  • Like 2

La Esquina

Taco Truck with patio seating and bathroom (!)

Hunt @ Harrisburg

Breakfast tacos, barbacoa, horchata

Usually a cooler of free beer on weekends

Cajun Stop

Jefferson @ Hutchins

Shrimp Po' boy with cocktail sauce

Not BYOB

La Reynera

Bakery/Tacos

McKinney, near Cullen

Killer tortas, bolillos, conchas, etc

Not sure about BYOB; more of a takeout spot

Cafe TH

Vietnamese

Pease at St. Emanuel

Hu Tieu Do Bien (seafood noodle soup), but really anything is good

BYOB!

• Like 1

Cajun town is RIP as of today. For lease sign went up today. Sorry all.

2 hours ago, EaDolivin said:

I've been a fan of this gem and walk over for dinner often, but I've been picking up food and margaritas especially nowadays where you can take them to-go!

Same.

• Sad 2

15 minutes ago, JBTX said:

Cajun town is RIP as of today. For lease sign went up today. Sorry all.

Well, that certainly sucks. I used to eat at their Greens Road location semi-regularly, but after they moved to the East End I only got to go to the new location once.