East End Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

While dining last night, overheard that Street to Kitchen was working on moving to a space 3X as big "within walking distance" some time this fall. 

They had to turn away 3 different walk-in groups due to lack of space, so I totally understand. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, wilcal said:

While dining last night, overheard that Street to Kitchen was working on moving to a space 3X as big "within walking distance" some time this fall. 

They had to turn away 3 different walk-in groups due to lack of space, so I totally understand. 

Within walking distance of what?

1 hour ago, wilcal said:

scale can sometimes impact quality. hope it doesn't cause them any issues.

although they certainly can benefit from having more tables. they are right down the street from me, but I don't even try to go because there's not a chance of getting a table, so we end up going to Street Food Thai Market, which is 10 miles drive vs 2.

I enjoyed the food the one time we were able to eat there.

and I still miss Kanomwan.

Edited by samagon

On 7/19/2023 at 12:07 PM, wilcal said:

Turns out they are moving to Concept Neighborhood! I guess they were going with the European definition of walking distance 😜

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/arts-culture/food/2023/07/20/457409/street-to-kitchen-moving-houston-second-ward-bigger-space/

• Like 2

it says they will have the capacity to serve 100 customers, which is 3x the current capacity. maybe I am mis remembering my one sitting, but if that place sat more than 20 people I'm shocked. and 20 is being generous.

maybe they're talking about capacity of the kitchen?

anyway, hopefully the added capacity doesn't affect their quality, I'll definitely visit them in their new location.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bookey23 said:

Does that mean How to Survive On Land And Sea is going away? That's too bad, if so

I believe that’s staying and it will replace Louie’s (Cafe Louie). Spoke with the owner of Angie’s Pizza a month ago while having a slice as they sell at How to Survive on Land and Sea. I told him o was excited for them to reopen Louie’s as Angie’s. He broke the news that they  will instead be moving to the Heights for their brick and mortar, but will continue to serve slices at How to Survive on Land and Sea—though it sounds like the name is rebranding to Neighbors Pizza Bar according to the article.

3 hours ago, bookey23 said:

Does that mean How to Survive On Land And Sea is going away? That's too bad, if so

It could be Cafe Louie's space they are moving into, but I suspect it's How to Survive.

I think it changed ownership and focus recently and has gone way downhill. Think "wine with chicken wings" (not a joke).

On 7/23/2023 at 8:53 AM, LiverpoolTX said:

Looks like I may have been wrong about Street to Kitchen going in the Louie's spot. Houston Food Finder saying it is the How to Survive Land And Sea suite. So now I'm not sure  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

According to this, you were correct

https://www.houstoniamag.com/eat-and-drink/2023/07/street-to-kitchen-new-location?utm_content=257943116&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&hss_channel=tw-1115166620

Edited by HoustonMidtown
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 9:25 PM, JBTX said:

Their problem was definitely more "switching concepts three times," and not the neighborhood, I feel.

Occasionally, they were closed during hours posted as open. I loved the food and people, but they didn't make it easy to eat there. 

• Like 1