East End Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

8 things to know in Houston food right now: Openings, closings, and a new Heights patio bar

"Seminal Houston Thai restaurant Kanomwan has been closed since September, but it might make a comeback in 2022. Patarawan Charoenrat, daughter of founders Yuthana and Darawan Charoenrat, tells Houston Food Finder that her mother simply needed a break from the business and may resume operations next year. That would be good news for the East End favorite, which has served classic Thai soups, curries, and more since the mid-80s."

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
On 10/8/2021 at 10:00 AM, phillip_white said:

Building permit issued for "Opening Day Bar" in the former Lucky's Pub location.

https://365thingsinhouston.com/2022/03/16/saint-patricks-day-celebrations-parties-events-bars-pubs-houston-march-2022/

• St. Patrick’s Day Festival at Lucky’s Pub | St. Patrick’s Day, March 17 – The EaDo venue opens again for the return of the St. Patrick’s Day party, featuring 2 stages of live music, bagpipers, food trucks and plenty of green beer across 3 city blocks. $10 and up. 6am (yep, in the morning) to 2am.

So confused. 

1 hour ago, Eastdwntwn said:

https://365thingsinhouston.com/2022/03/16/saint-patricks-day-celebrations-parties-events-bars-pubs-houston-march-2022/

• St. Patrick’s Day Festival at Lucky’s Pub | St. Patrick’s Day, March 17 – The EaDo venue opens again for the return of the St. Patrick’s Day party, featuring 2 stages of live music, bagpipers, food trucks and plenty of green beer across 3 city blocks. $10 and up. 6am (yep, in the morning) to 2am.

So confused. 

Me too. Their eventbrite listing states that this will be downtown across from Minute Maid, so not sure if having anything at the old venue even makes sense logistically.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/st-patricks-day-festival-2022-tickets-94555204161

32 minutes ago, phillip_white said:

Me too. Their eventbrite listing states that this will be downtown across from Minute Maid, so not sure if having anything at the old venue even makes sense logistically.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/st-patricks-day-festival-2022-tickets-94555204161

I biked by this today -- there were a bunch of people in the new parking lot by the stadium watching some sort of show on the stage. At 7:45 in the morning :O

• Like 1

• The title was changed to East End Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming
  • 7 months later...

"The Original Villa Arcos, a Houston East End institution, is returning.

New owner Jacob Torres announced the comeback on the restaurant's Facebook fan page Monday. Since then, the post has been inundated with positive and hopeful comments."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/food-culture/restaurants-bars/article/houston-breakfast-taco-villas-arcos-reopens-17810205.php

• Like 6

4 hours ago, hindesky said:

"The Original Villa Arcos, a Houston East End institution, is returning.

New owner Jacob Torres announced the comeback on the restaurant's Facebook fan page Monday. Since then, the post has been inundated with positive and hopeful comments."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/food-culture/restaurants-bars/article/houston-breakfast-taco-villas-arcos-reopens-17810205.php

Wow this is great news!   There are a few places I’ll drive to for yummy food (Frenchy’s Chicken on Scott Street, Fadi’s on Braeswood, Ninfa’s on Navigation).  Villa Arcos was one of those places I’d go to for delicious breakfast tacos.  Interesting that Torres own Sunrise Tacos too!  I assume the one in Rice Military is part of the Shell station on Memorial.  I’ve been a customer since the early 90s - great breakfast tacos!  Highly recommended!!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2023 at 5:33 PM, HoustonMidtown said:

They are working on the building - they were power washing the interior (looks empty) and tore down the old buildings at the back of the building

IMG_0398

I heard a rumor that Little Woodrow’s is moving to this space— Has anyone heard the same?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, steve1363 said:

Do they really need all those burglar bars??  If so, says something about progress of the area…

Umm that building has been there forever, and I’m sure those bars have been in place the better part of three or four decades. Using that as a data point to judge the development in the area—and ignoring all of the new construction nearby, including Roostar, Gatsby’s Grille, etc. maybe a block away—is daft.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

Umm that building has been there forever, and I’m sure those bars have been in place the better part of three or four decades. Using that as a data point to judge the development in the area—and ignoring all of the new construction nearby, including Roostar, Gatsby’s Grille, etc. maybe a block away—is daft.

Really?  You think that’s a charming look?  If they aren’t needed take them off!

2 hours ago, steve1363 said:

Really?  You think that’s a charming look?  If they aren’t needed take them off!

They were closed for three years. Surely, you can understand blocking off your place if you're gonna be gone for three years.

That said, while I don't think they were necessary even three years ago, you gotta imagine the family runs things at a pretty casual pace, given how reticent they were to reopening and all.

Let's see what, if anything, the new ownership will do now that they have reopened before jumping to any conclusions.

• Like 1

I remember those bars being there pre pandemic — it’s probably not cheap to remove them, especially for a restaurant that is just restarting. 

And to be fair, break ins at commercial establishments do happen in that part of town. Look at Segundo coffee, they’ve gotten hit multiple times in the last couple years unfortunately :/ 

Hoping for better things for the east end, but I understand why that’s not Villa Arcos’s top item to change. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, wilcal said:

If anyone hasn't been to Nancy's Hustle still, it just continues to be top notch. 

I'm impressed every time I go. 

They are a semi-finalist for a 2023 James Beard Award

Nancy's Hustle for Outstanding Wine and Beverage Program

https://www.chron.com/food/article/2023-james-beard-award-semifinalists-17736652.php

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...