East End Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

i gotta add taqueria mexico to the list. last nite i was forced to go to la mexicana and ordered chorizo. i think it was 7.99. tonight went to taqueria mexico and ordered the chorizo again. it was way better as was the salsa and it was 3something.

Hey thanks :-) I read something online about the proprietor of Kanomawan being very rude to someone who asked for a vegetarian option. Maybe I'll gather the courage to check it out. I ADORE thai food. :-)

he's actually very nice....esp if his grandson is running the credit card machine.....you'd be amazed. if you're a wimp you should perhaps stay clear.

Funny all these posts about Calliope's...I drove past there a couple of times and kept meaning to go eat there...but kept forgetting! So wednesday I made a point to pull over in front of the place, and write myself a reminder to stick on my desk to go eat there soon.

I just hope the location doesn't kill their business...seems like one of those places you just find by accident...and probably never find if you just work downtown and would never turn down that street...or take a second look at that old strip center.

I'm looking forward to checking it out...it seems we eat Vietnamese food 3 out of 4 times that we go out with all of the great places in the area...and shrimp or roast beef on french bread will be a nice change of pace from chargrilled pork and pate! :lol:

I know what I had the time I went was good (I think it was the surf and turf with fried rice instead of FF). I'll be going again!

i gotta add taqueria mexico to the list. last nite i was forced to go to la mexicana and ordered chorizo. i think it was 7.99. tonight went to taqueria mexico and ordered the chorizo again. it was way better as was the salsa and it was 3something.

I've had some good breakfasts at Taqueria Mexico.

Not far away on Telephone is Tony's Tacos...I've picked some decent tacos there too, breakfast and otherwise. They seem to have improved from when they first opened a few years back.

A NON-favorite restaurant would be Spanky's Pizza. I don't see the appeal of that place. I'd honestly rather have Pizza Hut.

I'll second South Philly Steaks if I haven't already. Great cheesesteaks.

Mandola's Deli...haven't been there in years, but I bet the lasagna hasn't changed a bit!

I have always enjoyed Mandola's Deli, but it's an institution that everyone knows about. So here is something y'all may not know: The Mandola's purchased the yellow house-turned-day-labor property next door to the deli on Leeland, and are mulling over what to do with it. So if all goes as planned, we may have another place to try.

FWIW, Huynh isn't exactly new, just new to the location. They first opened up about 12 years ago over on Milam (Where the Post Oak Grill [i think that's the name of the place] is now) as Pho Huynh. I have been going there for about ten years, with a small break while they opened up the new shop =)

Annh and her husband are great, very nice. It's a family shop, much of the staff are related. Just remember when you go there, order "vietnamese style" for certain dishes. =)

!c

• 1 month later...

I can hear the anti-rail crowd already going OMGWTFBBQ!

Where were they when the new ramp from the West Loop South to the Southwest Freeway killed the city's historic, and last, cowboy shop? Oh right... filling up their fume-spewing trucks with $3.00 gas.

A route along Navigation would've been considerably less expensive, is wide enough to prevent nearly any right of way takings, prevent them from taking away lanes or making them narrower, and provides enough space that they can build the rail with very few disruptions related construction. Navigation is lined with a greater concentration of jobs than Harrisburg (meaning that there's a higher daytime population). A Navigation route would not have faced the same impediments to north/south pedestrian movement as along Harrisburg, where there is a continuous freight rail line paralleling it a block to the south, and another freight rail line that parallels it starting just east of where the 1,000-foot-long bridge will have to be built. Aside from the types of persons for whom "No Camping" signs are installed, I cannot imagine this bridge being especially pedestrian friendly--in fact--the right of way takings to accommodate it will probably destroy a whole strip of already-walkable retail.

Given that the justification for light rail in Houston seems to be rooted in economic development more than general mobility, Navigation would have been ideal because it has numerous large easily-developed parcels all up and down it, some of which stretch all the way back to the Buffalo Bayou at a point where it is so wide that it is a veritable river...but where the banks are high enough that it just doesn't flood. Plus, the industrial components of Navigation are fairly well insulated from crappy neighborhoods, allowing the perceived character of the corridor to change pretty quickly. In contrast, there are only a couple of parcels along Harrisburg that are large enough to support any large-scale developments, and one of them--the former Hughes Tool site--is going to be a traditional retail center with pad sites and big box anchors; the other will become a rail service facility.

The only credible drawback mentioned by METRO as a justification for going down Harrisburg was that the Magnolia Transit Center was located at Harrisburg and 71st Street. They made it sound like it was something more than just a parking lot and a canopy. They made it sound permanent, immovable.

I know it's all a moot point now, but it really just sticks in my craw.

/rant

I can hear the anti-rail crowd already going OMGWTFBBQ!

Where were they when the new ramp from the West Loop South to the Southwest Freeway killed the city's historic, and last, cowboy shop? Oh right... filling up their fume-spewing trucks with $3.00 gas.

Hopefully it isn't lost on anyone that all of the voices presented in this article are from a community that supported the 2003 referendum, and that concerns presented are from pro-rail stakeholders concerned about proper neighborhood-level project implementation.

Will be depressing for hubby & I to tour Harrisburg again & see Lenox dining close. Dating in late 50s/early 60s we'd have BBQ sandwich at Lenox & go bowling down the street. We remember Mr & Mrs Schlumberger dine at a table near us one evening. Not really any "memories" left in the area. Dinner Bell still at Lawndale/Wayside & that's it. Still have rent house in the area & drive around occassionally. Did some driving couple of weeks age & our socks were knocked off when we saw remodeling of his ol' home place in Eastwood. New addition on back & what looks like a fish/koi pond covering back yard. New addition being built over pond. We're guessing it's a fish pond. Lotza concrete poured on very very small lot. We stil have most all the title searchs/policies on that property going back before that whole area developed...

• 5 weeks later...

Will be depressing for hubby & I to tour Harrisburg again & see Lenox dining close. Dating in late 50s/early 60s we'd have BBQ sandwich at Lenox & go bowling down the street. We remember Mr & Mrs Schlumberger dine at a table near us one evening. Not really any "memories" left in the area. Dinner Bell still at Lawndale/Wayside & that's it. Still have rent house in the area & drive around occassionally. Did some driving couple of weeks age & our socks were knocked off when we saw remodeling of his ol' home place in Eastwood. New addition on back & what looks like a fish/koi pond covering back yard. New addition being built over pond. We're guessing it's a fish pond. Lotza concrete poured on very very small lot. We stil have most all the title searchs/policies on that property going back before that whole area developed...

Drove by the other day...Lenox BBQ is gone.

• 7 months later...

CALLIOPE'S!!!! It's very good! Kind of a Timmy Chan's take on the New Orleans PoBoy.

Here's the Houston Press article...

http://www.houstonpr...-and-fried-rice

FINALLY got around to going here. It's perfect, it's the place we've been searching for ever since moving from Louisiana. I'll be back regularly. So few places in Houston do it right when it comes to Cajun (don't even joke about Ragin Cajun...they try, but not quite).

http://www.calliopespoboy.com/index.html

I have always enjoyed Mandola's Deli, but it's an institution that everyone knows about. So here is something y'all may not know: The Mandola's purchased the yellow house-turned-day-labor property next door to the deli on Leeland, and are mulling over what to do with it. So if all goes as planned, we may have another place to try.

They tried to sell off the structure by itself but were unsuccessful and have knocked it down. Hopefully that means that they've got a plan in mind for the land.

• 3 weeks later...

Mandola's recently applied for a liquor license. They are also looking at expanding their hours and opening an outdoor patio area.

• 11 months later...

Mandola's Deli at the corner of Leeland and Cullen is now open for dinner and beer/wine. The owners have continued their awesome Italian lunch menu into the evening and added flat screen tvs, outdoor seating and an impressive beer and wine selection. Another local East End spot to check out, if you haven't been.

Edited by eastdowner

Weren't they planning on expanding? Has this already happened ?

Haven't been there in a few years.. great stuff though.

I don't think they planned to expand their interior space. They bought the building next door last year, demolished it, and put in a parking lot. Where the parking lot used to be is now a large patio area. I had hoped they would flip it around and put the patio on the "quieter" side (farther from the intersection), but one of the employees said the city parking requirements necessitated how they layed it all out (even though there is plenty of street parking, city regs strike again). I have been to Mandola's probably half-a-dozen times since moving over here, and like it more and more. It's got a real neighborhood feel, and a couple of the employees there actually remember us (we had to go to Dry Creek at least two dozen times to get the same "friendly" treatment), and it is funny to hear the banter between long-time customers and employees. I love that we can walk there!

On the downside, I would like to see more interesting food options, it is too heavily focused on "deli" for my taste (though I love their Chicken Mandola po-boy and their carrot cake is better than House of Pies). I heard they were going to add pizza, which would make me very happy as we spend way too much at Star.

They seriously need to get the word out on the change in hours. Other than the sign out front, I wouldn't have known! Maybe they are just working out the kinks first, who knows.

Edited by travelguy_73

I don't think they planned to expand their interior space. They bought the building next door last year, demolished it, and put in a parking lot. Where the parking lot used to be is now a large patio area. I had hoped they would flip it around and put the patio on the "quieter" side (farther from the intersection), but one of the employees said the city parking requirements necessitated how they layed it all out (even though there is plenty of street parking, city regs strike again). I have been to Mandola's probably half-a-dozen times since moving over here, and like it more and more. It's got a real neighborhood feel, and a couple of the employees there actually remember us (we had to go to Dry Creek at least two dozen times to get the same "friendly" treatment), and it is funny to hear the banter between long-time customers and employees. I love that we can walk there!

On the downside, I would like to see more interesting food options, it is too heavily focused on "deli" for my taste (though I love their Chicken Mandola po-boy and their carrot cake is better than House of Pies). I heard they were going to add pizza, which would make me very happy as we spend way too much at Star.

They seriously need to get the word out on the change in hours. Other than the sign out front, I wouldn't have known! Maybe they are just working out the kinks first, who knows.

I love love love this place!! So laid back and so "real" and with food that is excellent every time I go!! BTW they now serve alcohol, and have St. Arnold's brew on tap!!! Can't beat that one. So go to Mandola's, and you can support 2 local businesses in one trip!

BTW I like the patio where they put it, but it would be kinda cool if they built a deck and raised it up a bit. Even a few feet higher would help expose the KILLER skyline view they've got!!

I salute the Mandola family for being on the leading edge of the curve. The East End feels like it's coming together now.

Edited by totheskies

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...