East End Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

musicman,

I think Ashikaga means a driving range.  I think there was one where the current Krogers center is on Telephone back in the 60's.  it would have been right across the side street from Monterrey House...when The old Krogers was across Telephone.  Sims Bayou country club was too far down bellfort.

Yes, it was a driving range. I can remember sitting near the window in the restaurant and looking outside and seeing people hitting golf balls. On the other side of Monterey House, just across the street, was a grocery store called Henke & Pillot (now called Kroger).

• 3 months later...

if i have time i'll take a picture and post it. my girlfriend goes to u of h and i'm always down there (it's right across from the robertson stadium parking lot), so...some of you may disagree, but i think it's a wonderful little gem of a building, that seems totally overlooked...

• 9 months later...

Hello All,

Just want to report that a new quite upscale for our area Coffee Shop and Sandwich shop opened at the new small shopping center at Lawndale/Wayside this past Thursday. So it's been open for a Week now.

Wife and I have gone there twice now and love it. Family run and a very nice family at that. Apparently profits go to help children in Guatemala which makes one feel good about going there if not for the great sandwiches and drinks.

They have a website for the coffee side of the business at www.cafeflores.com check out the Community link to read how they are helping.

All the best and let's support these new and much needed shops,

Scharpe St Guy

Hello All,

Just want to report that a new quite upscale for our area Coffee Shop and Sandwich shop opened at the new small shopping center at Lawndale/Wayside this past Thursday. So it's been open for a Week now.

Wife and I have gone there twice now and love it. Family run and a very nice family at that. Apparently profits go to help children in Guatemala which makes one feel good about going there if not for the great sandwiches and drinks.

They have a website for the coffee side of the business at www.cafeflores.com check out the Community link to read how they are helping.

Scharpe St Guy

This is amazing. In the period of time within which I have had a home pending, the area has gotten its first TWO indie coffee shops and the supply of homes on the Eastwood market has dwindled to just two! And Kawonawon, Mandola's, Champ's, and the Freneticore Theater were all just serendipity.

$$ :lol: $$

Edited by TheNiche

too bad i'm not a coffee drinker.......been hooked too long on dinner bell's bake shop myself.

Not the bake shop! Enough temptation to ruin any attempts at a good Adkins diet. I am boycotting the Dinner Bell though. I used my debit card in there the other day, someone there padded my bill by 20% for a tip. It was only a couple of bucks, but the principle of the thing really pissed me off. I won't go back. :angry:

Not the bake shop! Enough temptation to ruin any attempts at a good Adkins diet. I am boycotting the Dinner Bell though. I used my debit card in there the other day, someone there padded my bill by 20% for a tip. It was only a couple of bucks, but the principle of the thing really pissed me off. I won't go back. :angry:

i can understand that!! luckily one of their ex-bakers lives nearby, his apple pies and pecan pies are the best, esp for 6.50 and 7.00. been trying ot get him to open up his own shop but his children said no.

RPS,

This is one time that I would strongly encourage you and ask you to go talk to the owner and let him know. We go there almost every Sunday and love the place, food, and people. If it were my business and my employee did that to a customer I would want to know.

MusicMan,

They serve sandwiches as well!!! Last time I checked (Sunday), DinnerBell did not serve any Sandwiches!!! Cafe Flores is going to serve Ice Cream soon as well. I mentioned that one of the two empty slots between them and the Insurance Agent would be prime for Ice Cream and was told that they would have Ice Cream soon. Good basic sandwiches though and good desert and nice atmosphere, I would encourage you to try.

Niche,

You are seriously working on the "longest" close ever!!! Is it worth it? Try the new Coffee shop while your waiting on Closing!!!

Scharpe St Guy

Scharpe St Guy

Edited by Scharpe St Guy

MusicMan,

They serve sandwiches as well!!! Last time I checked (Sunday), DinnerBell did not serve any Sandwiches!!! Cafe Flores is going to serve Ice Cream soon as well. I mentioned that one of the two empty slots between them and the Insurance Agent would be prime for Ice Cream and was told that they would have Ice Cream soon. Good basic sandwiches though and good desert and nice atmosphere, I would encourage you to try.

Scharpe St Guy

i'll try them for lunch.

Niche,

You are seriously working on the "longest" close ever!!! Is it worth it? Try the new Coffee shop while your waiting on Closing!!!

Starting to wonder, myself...and Lisa has just about made up her mind to pull out of the deal altogether...fortunately, I've got another limited partner sitting on the back burner for just such an eventuality.

I'm always reminding myself that if worse came to worse, I'd be picking up this unique and highly-visible property for about $10.50 per square foot of land. Lots in Eastwood seem to fall in the $10.50 to $12.50 range these days. So even if I were to find out a month or so after closing that the bones have been all eaten out by past termite infestations, I've still got a viable exit strategy.

I tried out Cafe Flores last night, by the way. Had the Old Faithful sandwich and a vanilla frappucino. Both were good, although their frapp could use a slightly less thorough run through the blender. I like having little granules of ice in those things. Its a good place though...it'll be a good test for the East End yuppie demographic. If Flores does well, other businesses catering to that demographic are sure to come.

Niche,

Hopefully you can get your deal closed. Is the city still holding it up?

Glad to hear that people are trying out the new Cafe, they are still learning over there and getting processes put in place but the family is nice and sincere and it's a nice place to sit outside and have a bite and a drink. I have had there Chicken Salad Sandwhich twice now on the nut bread and it's pretty good. I'm going to be intrested to see who moves in the two empty units in the strip.

MusicMan, what did you think?

Scharpe St Guy

Starting to wonder, myself...and Lisa has just about made up her mind to pull out of the deal altogether...fortunately, I've got another limited partner sitting on the back burner for just such an eventuality.

I'm always reminding myself that if worse came to worse, I'd be picking up this unique and highly-visible property for about $10.50 per square foot of land. Lots in Eastwood seem to fall in the $10.50 to $12.50 range these days. So even if I were to find out a month or so after closing that the bones have been all eaten out by past termite infestations, I've still got a viable exit strategy.

I tried out Cafe Flores last night, by the way. Had the Old Faithful sandwich and a vanilla frappucino. Both were good, although their frapp could use a slightly less thorough run through the blender. I like having little granules of ice in those things. Its a good place though...it'll be a good test for the East End yuppie demographic. If Flores does well, other businesses catering to that demographic are sure to come.

Niche,

Hopefully you can get your deal closed. Is the city still holding it up?

Glad to hear that people are trying out the new Cafe, they are still learning over there and getting processes put in place but the family is nice and sincere and it's a nice place to sit outside and have a bite and a drink. I have had there Chicken Salad Sandwhich twice now on the nut bread and it's pretty good. I'm going to be intrested to see who moves in the two empty units in the strip.

MusicMan, what did you think?

Scharpe St Guy

Citywide, the median price of used single-family homes experienced a runup from about February to mid-June, after which prices flat-lined and remain stable. Beyond early August, though, I don't have data. But we're still very well off, with median prices up 8.7% over last year.

The inventory of homes on the market is stable or possibly declining slightly, with 5.5 months of inventory.

I know that a lot of peoples' nerves are getting frayed as they watch what is starting to occur on the coasts. I think that we're probably one of the better (if not the best) housing markets in the country right now. Just cross your fingers and hope against world peace...that'd kill oil prices.

I can't speak for the whole real estate market, but I know I have been busy, especially in our little corner of the East end. My listing on Fair Oaks in Houston Country Club came back on the market, the seller has turned down a recent offer and there is still a ton of activity. I just showed it tonight to someone from Duke Energy. There is pretty much nil to show people in Eastwood since Niche is buying the last good deal left! I recently sold a lot in Eastwood for about $100k to someone moving out of a 430k house. They are planning on building. Some pretty expensive properties in Idylwood have been getting contracts, I saw that southern colonial on Fairfield that was over $300k got a contract on it. I have three deals of my own I am trying to herd to the closing table in Glenbrook for next week. One buyer is a Director of a non-profit, another is an Attorney & his wife, and the third is a Division Manager for an Engineering firm moving from Sabine St. Lofts.

I hope this sort of thing keeps up so we have an audience for places like Cafe Flores and hopefully more retail/restaurant options to follow.

I hope this sort of thing keeps up so we have an audience for places like Cafe Flores and hopefully more retail/restaurant options to follow.

The trickle into the East End a few years back is now a solid flow so hopefully the economy won't tank and these places will survive. I guess I'll have to go check it out. I still haven't been to the new tapioca/Chinese food place near me.

I love living in a place undergoing the transformation from junky to funky, ick to slick. And it happens so fast in Houston.

Danax,

If you mean the Chinese/Tapioca place next to the Fiesta and Amegy Bank then GO. The food is Cheap yet very good and they make the best smoothies/tapioca there. We love them over there and they know us by name now!

It's funny that Cafe Flores made us think that we are some how becoming legit over here on this side of town! It's a nice place to go, grab a bit and a drink in a nice atmosphere. Anyhow glad to hear the great report RPS, good luck on your closings.

Scharpe St Guy

The trickle into the East End a few years back is now a solid flow so hopefully the economy won't tank and these places will survive. I guess I'll have to go check it out. I still haven't been to the new tapioca/Chinese food place near me.

I love living in a place undergoing the transformation from junky to funky, ick to slick. And it happens so fast in Houston.

Danax,

If you mean the Chinese/Tapioca place next to the Fiesta and Amegy Bank then GO. The food is Cheap yet very good and they make the best smoothies/tapioca there. We love them over there and they know us by name now!

Scharpe St Guy

Yep, that's the place. I'll definitely stop by there now.

Just got back from the Eastwood Civic Association meeting. The indie coffee shop in the Tlaquepaque Mercado opens in two weeks. They will also have an art gallery. The name is Bohemio's.

I met the couple that are opening it about 2 months ago. Hopefully they will do well

• 2 weeks later...

This is good news for that area.

I've been an Eastside fan for a while now- especially Idylwood and had always thought a coffee shop would go great there and a couple of small things...

I was thinking a while back about buying those 4 plexes next to Idylwood there and really doing something with them, but never really pushed thru with it.

What is that big white complex just up the road on Lawndale with the gate around it?

I'm gonna go to this coffee place this weekend...

I think your actually talking about the big two level complex that is gated in and has signs for Womens Clinic and I think Dentist on the sign. But the lower level looks empty. This is located approx a mile possibly less before Wayside coming from the Downtown direction.

Scharpe St Guy

me thinks so

Hello All,

Scharpe St Guy

Does Cafe Flores have wireless?

I think your actually talking about the big two level complex that is gated in and has signs for Womens Clinic and I think Dentist on the sign. But the lower level looks empty. This is located approx a mile possibly less before Wayside coming from the Downtown direction.

Scharpe St Guy

Villa de Matel is earth toned. I think you're right, he's thinking of Plaza Santa Clara, or Santa Something.

The place is a little strange. A strip mall/office building with a Spanish-ish design that appears to be two stories of mostly dentist offices with a huge iron fence around it. :huh:

Could be a front for the mob. :ph34r: