East End Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Went there today and had the veggie sandwich and a mango tea. Nice setting, nice food, nice company.......Nice!

What time were you there? I was there from around 10:30 to 12:00 this morning with the coowner of my Eastwood place. I had the No-name sandwich and a pot of white flowering jasmine tea.

What time were you there? I was there from around 10:30 to 12:00 this morning with the coowner of my Eastwood place. I had the No-name sandwich and a pot of white flowering jasmine tea.

Were you the guy with the Ayn Rand T-shirt? :)

No, I was there around 3 or so. I told the son of the owner that he was getting some good publicity on the internet and he said, "yeah, there's a Yahoo group talking about us and some architecture forum". I told him we're all supporting him cause the East End has never had anything classy.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the updated report and supporting the new "classy" place on this side of town. My wife and I have not been there for about two weeks. We are about due though.

All the best,

Scharpe St Guy

No, I was there around 3 or so. I told the son of the owner that he was getting some good publicity on the internet and he said, "yeah, there's a Yahoo group talking about us and some architecture forum". I told him we're all supporting him cause the East End has never had anything classy.

I'm not 100% that your comment was sarcasm...so I'll just ask. Was there really somebody in there with an Ayn Rand T-shirt? I'm just saying, because it'd be really cool if there were.

By the way, I know that you've commented before on the presence of roosters/hens and other farm animals in some East End neighborhoods. I camped out in the Eastwood place last night and was awakened at dawn to the sound of a rooster crowing. Although earlier than I'd prefer on a weekend morning, I really do like it.

I'm not 100% that your comment was sarcasm...so I'll just ask. Was there really somebody in there with an Ayn Rand T-shirt? I'm just saying, because it'd be really cool if there were.

By the way, I know that you've commented before on the presence of roosters/hens and other farm animals in some East End neighborhoods. I camped out in the Eastwood place last night and was awakened at dawn to the sound of a rooster crowing. Although earlier than I'd prefer on a weekend morning, I really do like it.

I was just kidding about the T-shirt.

It can be charming and novel to hear roosters in the city but they sometimes crow at 3 am and they tend to migrate from backyard to backyard, unless there's a 6 foot fence, so they can end up beneath your window.

That's when the novelty wears off and it becomes a very inconsiderate thing.

I was just kidding about the T-shirt.

It can be charming and novel to hear roosters in the city but they sometimes crow at 3 am and they tend to migrate from backyard to backyard, unless there's a 6 foot fence, so they can end up beneath your window.

That's when the novelty wears off and it becomes a very inconsiderate thing.

its not like you can force a rooster or chicken from wandering from yard to yard, unless you want to put a leash on them, but i would find some humor in it if the put a choker on a chicken.

On another thread, someone mentioned that people living near train tracks get used to the sound of the trains at night. Well, it's just the same with the rooster crowing - after awhile, you tune it out.

One thing I've noticed about Broadmoor is the large number of wild birds and butterflies we have here year 'round. For some delightful reason, a mockingbird had claimed my front yard as his private territory. He's quite tame, sitting within six feet of my porch while I'm out there and singing for all he's worth. A flock of whitewing doves has also taken up residence there. And those seagulls in the Gulfgate HEB parking lot - is it that near the ship channel?

There is quite a cool new coffee house that just opened on the East End (Lawndale and Wayside) called Cafe Flores. Good sandwiches, internet hotspot and great coffee, and amazing desserts.

Live music this Saturday, Oct. 14th

Check it out. B)

No ____, Sherlock. This whole thread is a discussion of it.

<---- Me Thinks that Idylwood_Chick may be one of the family that owns/runs Cafe Flores??? New member, back door advertising the Internet HotSpot and the A M A Z I N G Bourbon Pecan Pie.

Hmmmmmmmm???

Scharpe St Guy

There is quite a cool new coffee house that just opened on the East End (Lawndale and Wayside) called Cafe Flores. Good sandwiches, internet hotspot and great coffee, and amazing desserts.

Live music this Saturday, Oct. 14th

Check it out. B)

<---- Me Thinks that Idylwood_Chick may be one of the family that owns/runs Cafe Flores??? New member, back door advertising the Internet HotSpot and the A M A Z I N G Bourbon Pecan Pie.

Hmmmmmmmm???

Scharpe St Guy

No, I'm not an owner, but I am a big fan. I live in the neighborhood and am hoping that the business stays for a long time. It's great having a cool little coffeehouse within walking distance.

I went by Cafe Flores and for breakfast they do have a breakfast sandwich (2 eggs /bacon/ and other thngs i don't remember) from what the owner told me. Tonight they had a lady singing with her guitar. Evidently she's there on Friday eves with her trio. Didn't know any of the songs except Quizas Quizas Quizas. The other songs were English but I wasn't familiar.

I did go by Bohemio's but they weren't open. The owner and a few others were working. I asked when they were opening...and all he could say was soon. Looks like they had tables and a counter ready to go. They are doing the work themselves so it always takes longer than you expect.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest america99
I think your actually talking about the big two level complex that is gated in and has signs for Womens Clinic and I think Dentist on the sign. But the lower level looks empty. This is located approx a mile possibly less before Wayside coming from the Downtown direction.

Scharpe St Guy

Yes, they do have wi fi. I intend to come back and I will be bringing my iBook with me.

My family has lived in the East End for quite some time now. Brother still lives in the homestead. Cafe Flores is hiring students to serve and when I went there, I advised the young man behind the counter about the religious aspects of coffee drinking. ( I am an old, old woman...I can get away with that now. Of course, to that young man, anything over 30 is ancient...) :)

For example:

If the person is going to be dining in, give them coffee in one of the heated cups (unless it's some of your school buddies...they do not know the difference and probably go for the most amount anyway)

Everything about coffee drinking should be a religious experience. To drink your coffee out of anything else but a real cup, either china or at least some type of cup that retains heat well is inexcusable unless you are taking it to go.

So, first question to ask is: Will you be dining in or will this be carryout?

If it is carryout, then use the disposable cups, otherwise, use the real cups.

I had the ham and swiss cheese sandwich and also had a salad as well. They stopped making the salads from spinach and I encouraged them to try buying their spinach from Central Market because Central Market does not use bagged spinach at all. Their spinach comes from Colorado and to me it just tastes better.

The other thing I told him when he asked if I wanted the combo meal was to please not call it a combo meal. I am not trying to be critical here, but if I wanted a combo meal, I would go to that place that has the golden arches. I requested that he find another name for the meal. Or simply ask if I want chips with the meal. Which, by the way, I did not.

By the way, in case this got lost in my post, I happen to love the place. In fact, I am thinking of moving back to the East End based just on this information alone.

Now, if only there was a place that sold fresh produce so I would not have to drive all the way to the Montrose area or to the Central Market.

America (it's not just a country, it's a woman's name)

Yes, they do have wi fi. I intend to come back and I will be bringing my iBook with me.

My family has lived in the East End for quite some time now. Brother still lives in the homestead. Cafe Flores is hiring students to serve and when I went there, I advised the young man behind the counter about the religious aspects of coffee drinking. ( I am an old, old woman...I can get away with that now. Of course, to that young man, anything over 30 is ancient...) :)

For example:

If the person is going to be dining in, give them coffee in one of the heated cups (unless it's some of your school buddies...they do not know the difference and probably go for the most amount anyway)

Everything about coffee drinking should be a religious experience. To drink your coffee out of anything else but a real cup, either china or at least some type of cup that retains heat well is inexcusable unless you are taking it to go.

I had the ham and swiss cheese sandwich and also had a salad as well. They stopped making the salads from spinach and I encouraged them to try buying their spinach from Central Market because Central Market does not use bagged spinach at all. Their spinach comes from Colorado and to me it just tastes better.

The other thing I told him when he asked if I wanted the combo meal was to please not call it a combo meal. I am not trying to be critical here, but if I wanted a combo meal, I would go to that place that has the golden arches. I requested that he find another name for the meal. Or simply ask if I want chips with the meal. Which, by the way, I did not.

By the way, in case this got lost in my post, I happen to love the place. In fact, I am thinking of moving back to the East End based just on this information alone.

Now, if only there was a place that sold fresh produce so I would not have to drive all the way to the Montrose area or to the Central Market.

Thank you, for that review, Ms. Curmudgeon.

For example:

I'm just glad I wasn't in line behind you! :lol:

Cafe Flores is hiring students to serve and when I went there, I advised the young man behind the counter about the religious aspects of coffee drinking. ( I am an old, old woman...I can get away with that now. Of course, to that young man, anything over 30 is ancient...) :)

Ms America, I'm with you all the way. The advice you gave was very sensible and constructive. Sometimes the so-called "little things" get overlooked, which can diminish what would otherwise be a pleasant dining experience. Let's hope the young man passes your advice on to his co-workers.

I went to Cafe Flores a couple of weeks ago, and it's a place which would be at home in Midtown, Montrose or The Heights. Maybe it can become to the East End what the late, lamented Diedrich's was to Montrose. I hope it gets the local support it deserves.

I understand what you're saying but most will look at you as just an eccentric old woman. It reminds me of the Japanese tea ceremony. Every step leading to the actual drinking is vital. I too thought the pushing of the "combo meal" with chips was a little....I don't know. The owners are there a lot and might better understand. People seek "atmosphere" in places but it's the small touches that, if one pays attention to each detail with a sense of quiet and reverence, everything has atmosphere and becomes a potential religious experience.

• 1 month later...
Having grown up in East Houston I've always been accustomed to saying that the best Mexican restaurants are on the East side, primarily since the population is more Hispanic that side of the city. Problem is I don't really know if the ones I frequent are the best. Anyone have any nominations? One interesting restaurant, whose name I can't recall at the moment, is a Mexican seafood restauraunt that's run by Chinese! It's menu is an experiment in what some, I guess, nowdays call fusion. Instead of Spanish rice, you can have your meal with fried rice. Anyway, you wouldn't think that Chinese could run a sucessful Mexican seafood restaurant in a Hispanic neighborhood but they do. I love eating at this restaurant just because it's atmosphere is an atypical blend of two ethnicities.

Not sure if it matters to you,

Being a born/raised 3rd generatin Houstonian I can say that the real Mexican food you prefer in inner Houston would be at:

1. Denver Harbor - Any on Lyons Ave.

2. Old near Northside - All Mex restuarants on Irvington/Cavalcade/Fulton areas

3. El Jardin is good but has got real expensive because it has become a touristy joint of sorts

4. Personally, I would steer away from any taco truck, they are always being ticketed for not having health permits, hot running water, etc.

5. Even though most people laugh about Casa Ole I still like their green nacho dip! They are not what I call real but prices are inexpensive and the staff is always very professional (at least by Almeda Mall).

Finally, avoid ALL NINFA's that place went "Hollywood" phony years ago. Unless you eat like a mouse and are ok with TV dinner like junk. My mom knew Ninfa when she was just starting out many years ago over by Guadalupe church area and she used to do it right, once she passed away the joint got overrated and fake. Bon apetit!

I can say that the real Mexican food you prefer in inner Houston would be at:

1. Denver Harbor - Any on Lyons Ave.

2. Old near Northside - All Mex restuarants on Irvington/Cavalcade/Fulton areas

3. El Jardin is good but has got real expensive because it has become a touristy joint of sorts

4. Personally, I would steer away from any taco truck, they are always being ticketed for not having health permits, hot running water, etc.

5. Even though most people laugh about Casa Ole I still like their green nacho dip! They are not what I call real but prices are inexpensive and the staff is always very professional (at least by Almeda Mall).

Finally, avoid ALL NINFA's that place went "Hollywood" phony years ago. Unless you eat like a mouse and are ok with TV dinner like junk. My mom knew Ninfa when she was just starting out many years ago over by Guadalupe church area and she used to do it right, once she passed away the joint got overrated and fake. Bon apetit!

LOL tell us what you really mean! I'd have to disagree on your recommendation off all northside mex restaurants though. i know last time i went to Teotihuacan it was weak. I do like El Jardin as well. The Casa Ole by Almeda does draw a huge crowd after all these yrs. As for Ninfa's, i do like the taco ala Ninfa with pork and their hot sauces. otherwise, the food is bad. that place is all about their everclear ninfaritas.