East End Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Finally, avoid ALL NINFA's that place went "Hollywood" phony years ago. Unless you eat like a mouse and are ok with TV dinner like junk. My mom knew Ninfa when she was just starting out many years ago over by Guadalupe church area and she used to do it right, once she passed away the joint got overrated and fake. Bon apetit!

I have an affinity for the spinach enchiladas with charro beans at the Navigation Ninfa's. And it fills me up too, right to the point that the marginal benefits and costs are equal. Another bite, and it'd be gruelling. They're also really good about keeping every glass of tea or water at least half full and comping meals if anything was not up to par.

The crowd, on the other hand, frequently ruins my experiences. Last time I was there, I took my mom, and we got seated in between a couple of pudgy drunk-off-their-ass blondes on one side and a couple on a date, where the boyfriend was bored and the girlfriend has one of those high-pitched voices that just tears at your brain. As ethnic as the neighborhood is, that is also one lily white restaurant!

Don't forget Don Carlos on 76th just north of Harrisburg. They have been around a while. They have really good fajitas. We get a "Parillada" which is a mixture of different grilled meats.

Also Del Sol on the Broadway/Parkplace circle is yummy and cheap. My boyfriend is a new fan of the "green bus" a taqueria out of a green bus on Belfort just east of 45. It may have a real name, but he calls it the green bus. I haven't tried it yet.

Ok now stolitx, I see you are from Glenbrook Valley, thats suicide circle to us natives. lol

joe

How true....a coworker who used to live in glenbrook in the 70's still references it that way as well.

In the old days there were no controls. A stop sign on the north and south bound feeders, one on Park Place and Broadway both sides, and all the curbs and dividers were not there. It was just one big 4 lane circus, I mean circle.

joe

In the old days there were no controls. A stop sign on the north and south bound feeders, one on Park Place and Broadway both sides, and all the curbs and dividers were not there. It was just one big 4 lane circus, I mean circle.

joe

yeah i remember my parents avoiding that like the plague by turning right into the neighborhood before park place heading northbound on the feeder. I guess when the 45 expansion occurred they redesigned the intersection. still sucks. LOL

the original ninfas and el jardin are mine and my wife's favorite in the east side. we also like del sol - always fresh and reasonably priced. it is not a mexican restaurant, but texas land and cattle in front of gulfgate 30 has an excellent steak and enchilada dinner. we highly recommend it. loma linda is fair but the portions are too small for the price. never was a big fan of doneraki's, food doesn't justify the prices. and on more than one occasion, the silverware was dirty. don carlos is ok too, but also too expensive for the quality of food you get.

joe

I am sure there is a thread/topic relating to Glenbrook Valley. I would love to toss in my great memories of what it was like circa 1968-72. My mom would round all of us kids up take us to the olympic sized pool and let us enjoy the day there. I am almost sure that that pool was considerd a state-of-the-art feat for its day here in Houston. I heard they used to have high-profile events there on occasion. I recall how ship-shape it was kept. They had some of the best life-gaurds (pretty ladies too) on hand. They really kept the kids in line! The most exciting part was the "platform" high dive. Man, you had to have real you know whats to get up there. Once on top shame on you if you chickened out! It seemed like the whole world had thier eyes on you. I'll bet even as an adult many of us would turn back or feel 15 years old again once up there. That place was so together they made sure everyone showered at that outside shower head (pull the string). We were so happy to always go to that Dairy Queen at the end of the golf course. You would work up a big appetite after swimming so much.

Fast forward to now. Last time I heard and saw the place it went down the tubes. I recall one of our coaches from Austin HS lived right on the corner of one of those streets heading in to the pool. That neighborhhod looked terrible too. Grafittii, 5-6 cars on the yards, what the H ?

I am sure there is a thread/topic relating to Glenbrook Valley. I would love to toss in my great memories of what it was like circa 1968-72. My mom would round all of us kids up take us to the olympic sized pool and let us enjoy the day there. I am almost sure that that pool was considerd a state-of-the-art feat for its day here in Houston. I heard they used to have high-profile events there on occasion. I recall how ship-shape it was kept. They had some of the best life-gaurds (pretty ladies too) on hand. They really kept the kids in line! The most exciting part was the "platform" high dive. Man, you had to have real you know whats to get up there. Once on top shame on you if you chickened out! It seemed like the whole world had thier eyes on you. I'll bet even as an adult many of us would turn back or feel 15 years old again once up there. That place was so together they made sure everyone showered at that outside shower head (pull the string). We were so happy to always go to that Dairy Queen at the end of the golf course. You would work up a big appetite after swimming so much.

Fast forward to now. Last time I heard and saw the place it went down the tubes. I recall one of our coaches from Austin HS lived right on the corner of one of those streets heading in to the pool. That neighborhhod looked terrible too. Grafittii, 5-6 cars on the yards, what the H ?

Even though that's the Glenbrook pool, the neighborhood around it is called Meadowbrook.

east side, best mexican restaurants = stories about the pools? can we take a little break from the "the east end used to be nice but now is a run down crap hole" stories for a little while? it seems like every thread in the east end forum is getting bumped up against for some random complaining.

Back in September, I bitched on this forum about the old Dinner Bell cafeteria padding my bill. I ended up going back, and once again, they padded the bill. I would ve very careful if you go there and use a debit or credit card.

thx for the update. i have a couple of friends who go regularly. one doesn't use credit but the other does always.

• 9 months later...
Where should I try?

Mama Ninfa's

Kanonwan

Cafe Flores

Thelma's BBQ

Dot's Diner

Frank's Grill

Tel-Wink

Champ Burger

District 7

Any random taco box, my favorite at Canal and Edgewood

Stay away from:

Meridian Mexican Restaurant

Loma Linda

Brady's Landing

Edited by TheNiche

We tried Loma Linda last evening, it was good ... not a very fancy restaurant but the food was delicious! Chuck had Chile Dulce and I had the quesadillas.

I don't like Don Carlos

We tried to go to the original Mama Ninfas but it was closed for breakfast :blink:

We really don't have a big selection!

Thelma's in the warehouse district (1020 Live Oak St). Best BBQ pit in Houston (v. cheap too). They close at 7:00 p.m though.

I wasn't real impressed with Thelma's, especially compared to Williams Smokehouse in Acres Homes. I've yet to find the BBQ joint that can beat the ribs at Williams.

Back to the subject of the thread, however: Dinner Bell, all the way!

George's Italian on Park Place.

Dot or Kelly's for good "home-cooking" type food.

Taqueria Del Sol at 45 & Park Place.

Naomi's tacos on Park Place also got a very favorable write up from Allison Cook, so I heard. (although Stolitx and a few others swear by the green taco truck on Bellfort between 45 & Broadway).

Tel-Wink & Franks on Telephone make a good breakfast.

Pappas seafood is all over town, so you know what to expect. I haven't tried Bonnie's steak & seafood place.

I read in 002 that Bohemio's is serving food now, but again I have not tried that.

People swear by the Thai at Kanonwan (sp?) and the chinese at 888. District 7 is also good.

The Dinner Belch, I mean Dinner Bell has a great bakery. The food is basic, but decent and cheap. Skip the desert section on the serving line and buy something in the bakery when you check out.

My list, with a few that haven't been mentioned yet:

Near downtown

Thiem Hung, banh mi shop on Pease @ St. Emmanuel

District 7 Grill on Hutchins

Thelma's BBQ - Lamar @ Live Oak, one of the best bbqs in Hou, catfish also good

Villa Arcos - Navigation, down from Ninfa's - breakfast tacos, home-made tortillas

Near UH

Frenchy's on Scott - Fried chicken, Creole Sausage PoBoy, Red Beans and Rice, Greens

Dinner Bell Cafeteria, Lawndale at Wayside - down home cafeteria and pastry shop

Mandola's Deli - Telephone @ Leeland, poboys, closes mid-afternoon

Further South including just outside the Loop

Telwink - Telephone @ Winkler, breakfast, closes mid-afternoon

Dot Coffee shop - part of the Pappas empire, a great 24 hr diner

Taqueria Monterey Chiquita - Schley @ Garland, just south of the RR tracks, 75th @ Griggs

Original Kolache Shop - Telephone @ Park Place - the first and still the best kolache shop, limited hours, some cookies and other baked goods are great

Kelley's Country Cooking - Park Place @ 45 - lucdricously large portions, home-cooking

Noemi's Taqueria - just across Park Place from Kelley's

Taqueria del Sol - authentic Mex-Mex, across 45 from Kelley's - big parking lot out back; the place'll be packed

Capt. Benny's - faux shrimp boat, 45 @ Monroe?, catfish, gumbo, oysters on the half shell, cold boiled shrimp

Edited by brucesw

I've gone there several times. Decent inexpensive seafood--especially for fried shrimp--but my last experience kind of soured me on it because the service was terrible.

The Golden Seafood location on Airline always seems to be better in food and service. I usually just go to Airline even though the other one is closer.