East End Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

9 minutes ago, samagon said:

Kanomwan put a message on FB that they are closed until further notice.

Looking at recent posts on their FB page, it's pretty clear that like many other restaurants, they've been struggling with staff shortages for some time now. I certainly hope they reopen soon, as I would dearly hate to have to add them to the mental list I've been keeping of places that have permanently closed as either a direct or indirect result of the pandemic. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HtownWxBoy said:

Now we just need someone to open up where Lucky's Pub was in EaDo ... such a great space and location ... hate seeing it empty. 

New Dynamo owner made a bunch of money in real estate. I'm hoping that they start buying up some property around the stadium. 

it is a great location, and can be a great space.

Lucky's though, it started feeling run down when other places started opening around them. when Pitch25 opened, and they still were as is where is, I knew they weren't going to be sticking around much longer. 

for as forward thinking as they were when they put the place in years ago, they sure didn't see the need about 5 years ago to shut down for a few months to update the space to stay relevant in the face of all the new competition. 

makes me wonder if the owners were actually forward thinking to put it there, or if they just saw cheap rent (at the time), and then ended up getting lucky.

anyway, yeah, great space for possibilities, although if I were in the market for a warehouse bar in the area, I'd be interested, but would ultimately not jump in because of the unknowns with the freeway expansion. due to access restrictions, that specific site is going to be probably one of the most heavily impacted sites (that isn't being condemned).

• Like 2

Talked with the owner on Twitter. Goal is to open Oct. 15 pending TABC license.

Outdoor area will have shade/TVs. 

Said that he's basically guaranteed at least 3-4 years of being open with pending NHHIP, and the location makes enough sense to make it happen for them.

Seems like a good guy, so hope it works out for him!

• Like 6

every time I look at pictures, I'm like "but they have to provide parking!" and then I remember that this is part of the CBD and they never had to have parking. good for them making the most use of the available space, and I hope they get to use it for longer than TXDOT wants to let them.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 12:55 PM, samagon said:

Kanomwan put a message on FB that they are closed until further notice.

There are now comments on that post indicating that a lockout notice was posted over a month ago, and someone that drove by there last week said the interior has been gutted. Such a huge loss - I hope that they are eventually able to come back in some form. 😩

• Sad 1

Speaking of East End Restaurants that are back, Villa Arcos has quietly reopened. Their web presence still shows them as closed (or as having reopened in June, depending), but the sign on the door shows that they are now open limited hours and limited capacity.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/4/2021 at 2:08 PM, JBTX said:

Speaking of East End Restaurants that are back, Villa Arcos has quietly reopened. Their web presence still shows them as closed (or as having reopened in June, depending), but the sign on the door shows that they are now open limited hours and limited capacity.

HALLELUJAH JESUS

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Villa Arcos is good but they are proud of there tacos...

• 2 weeks later...

@JBTX we've been by a few times and each time they have been closed. Do you know what their new hours are?

Thanks!