Memorial Park At 6501 Memorial Dr.

17 hours ago, Skyboxdweller said:

I walked through the Eastern Glades two weeks ago. I was very impressed with the landscape, water features and the hard scape used to define outdoor rooms and to provide a place for group activities and  individual reflections. 

What time of day you went?  The last two times I went it was like going to Galleria in December.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 12/10/2020 at 1:04 PM, HoustonBoy said:

Im excited to one day walk on the first hill/change in elevation in Houston history 

There are actually some changes in elevation. Timbergrove has some, Lawndale near Wortham Golf Course has elevation change. Downtown has noticeable elevation differences as you approach the Bayou.

• Like 3

it took 6 tries to bring up the "add post" box here...

Anyway, Saturday was a nice day to be outside trying to figure out how much of the work a gym's treadmill does for you as you "jog"... (it was definitely more than half... a stair stepper machine does 75% of the work for you)

YUBhTKD.jpg

• Like 7

14 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

I suspect that particular analogy may not be operative this year. :ph34r: 

actually you would be surprised! i live across the street and currently on any given day there is quite the crowd...all wearing masks of course! the interesting part is that only a few stores are limiting how many people are allowed in per store...so you will randomly see lines of people waiting as much as 20 deep to get into Gucci or Burberry or even Hot Topic 🎅

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, gene said:

actually you would be surprised! i live across the street and currently on any given day there is quite the crowd...all wearing masks of course! the interesting part is that only a few stores are limiting how many people are allowed in per store...so you will randomly see lines of people waiting as much as 20 deep to get into Gucci or Burberry or even Hot Topic 🎅

I went last week on Monday at about 11am. it was as full as it would have been in years past on a random Monday morning in December.

I suspect that some stores may keep the lines.

not that Hot Topic will, but Louis Vuitton may decide it makes sense to provide a 1 to 1 relationship with their customers that come in the store. they can keep people who aren't serious about buying from distracting their staff from a customer that will buy, and they get to provide the customer that will buy a more personalized experience.

LV in Vienna, for example only admits customers with an appointment, or if you stand in line.

but then, LV in Cologne doesn't have a wait list to get in, so maybe they only do that when they have too many people just wandering in and distracting their staff.

not that I am a LV person, but the wife has been waffling on getting one for the past 3 years, and they are cheaper in Europe, so whenever we go, she seeks out the LV store to see if they have the perfect design for her, so I have become knowledgeable on how they handle their stores. if we had been able to go to Europe this summer, I probably would be able to give feedback on the LV in Prague and Berlin too! hahaha

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

funny that you mention the "keeping the line for the 1 on 1 experience"...

i went into Burberry this past weekend after standing in line for about 10 minutes and as they let me in the assigned me a salesperson who followed me around...

while i do not like that, i can only imagine it will benefit those who like that type of service and in turn definitely help eliminate shoplifting etc at these high end stores

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gene said:

9 hours ago, samagon said:

I went last week on Monday at about 11am. it was as full as it would have been in years past on a random Monday morning in December.

Interesting. My wife's office is very close by the Galleria, and the last time she was there, her take was that foot traffic was way down. That was several months ago, but I'd assumed that the trend would likely continue into the holiday season given that the virus hasn't exactly disappeared. Guess not. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

Interesting. My wife's office is very close by the Galleria, and the last time she was there, her take was that foot traffic was way down. That was several months ago, but I'd assumed that the trend would likely continue into the holiday season given that the virus hasn't exactly disappeared. Guess not. 

Judging from traffic and random visits to stores around town it seems like crowds are getting somewhat back to normal.  And everyone I see is wearing a mask.  Who are all these maskless people I hear politicians constantly complaining about?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, august948 said:

Judging from traffic and random visits to stores around town it seems like crowds are getting somewhat back to normal.  And everyone I see is wearing a mask.  Who are all these maskless people I hear politicians constantly complaining about?

The only maskless person I saw on my Monday afternoon run to the Galleria was a guy working at some sort of fresh fruit cutting stand

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i still to this day don't understand that fresh fruit/vegetable cutting kiosk!!! they must waste enough to feed a dang village on a daily basis!!! 😵🍐🥦🥕

and yes the galleria has been unbelievably slow...until November when things picked up to pretty much back to normal for the most part.

(and haha..i have yet to see one of those youtube worthy freakout sessions about masks in person yet as well! i keep waiting but nope, nuthin' 🙃 )

Edited by gene
  • Like 4

quite a few new tidbits in the article below...

but the main item is that while the land bridge project wont be finished until 2022...the tunnels will be open a year from now fall 2021! (so i guess landscaping etc will be later...)

then also, the food truck park Live Oak Court in Eastern Glades is up and going on the weekends now!

https://www.houstoniamag.com/travel-and-outdoors/2020/12/memorial-park-construction-news-december-2020

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

you know when i ride my bike by i would keep thinking...wow these don't seem as long or as far apart as i remembered and i am right going from this previously posted artist rendering...i wonder why the change

vek6b0L.jpg

• Like 2

different directions/perspectives as well.

old rendering is looking west to east. new rendering is east to west.

there are 2 land bridges. it looks like on the eastern most land bridge, that the westbound and eastbound tunnels remain close. on the western most land bridge, it looks like the eastern tunnel entrance for the east/west traffic is close, but on the west side of that bridge, the eastbound and westbound tunnels flare out.

it's exciting to see it unfold!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

There is a good chance they get dirt from TXDOT or other major road construction projects. Dirt from construction projects goes all over. In MoCo it has been used to backfill old sand pits, in the Pasadena/Clear Lake area, HPP will take it and backfill land for future development, and other parts of town take it to just raise land above floodplain levels prior to new construction. 

• Like 5