Memorial Park At 6501 Memorial Dr.

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2021 at 6:10 PM, akaMiDTOWNeR said:

Mercer Island (Seattle) beat Tulsa by decades.

Mercer Island:https://maps.apple.com/?address=I-90 W, Mercer Island, WA 98040, United States&ll=47.585693,-122.227272&q=Dropped Pin&_ext=EiYpTsR+e2rKR0AxMI76Q/eOXsA5zJmk15DLR0BBPFTzDR2OXsBQBA%3D%3D

On 12/6/2021 at 11:15 AM, Brooklyn173 said:

There have been a lot of wildlife crossings before Tulsa. Here's a sampling.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/man-made-animal-crossings-from-bat-bridges-to-toad-tunnels

Lots of these in Nevada, Utah, and Arizona.  In some places, they're required because of endangered species laws.

• Like 4

On 12/5/2021 at 6:10 PM, akaMiDTOWNeR said:

Notwithstanding the multiple responses implying something to the contrary, your post remains ACCURATE.  Funny how that works. 

Congratulations, Tulsa! Even if Houston did “take it from Tulsa,” so to speak, it would be the latest on a relatively long list, and I, for one, would rather be Houston.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, astrohip said:

The tunnels built for Memorial Park's Land Bridge are scheduled to open this spring to traffic.

Runners with the Chevron Houston Marathon will get a sneak peek this Sunday, January 16. Eyewitness News learned the south tunnel will be used as part of the race.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/city-life/01-11-22-game-changing-memorial-park-tunnels-debut-in-big-weekend-marathon/

Kudos to the construction team for the timing, that's a really cool way to christen the tunnels. Probably going to be some neat press photos of the runners going through as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

exciting stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love Memorial Park so much! So happy to see all this cool stuff happening and the revitalization...now if we could just get movie nights and live music nights at Eastern Glades once the weather is better!!! That would be awesome 

• Like 2

On 1/13/2022 at 9:13 AM, samagon said:

this is exciting stuff, any idea when they'll open the bridge to public? I presume they've still got to move a lot of dirt, and then landscape.

This was posted above from Culture map, concerning the routing of the marathon through the tunnel

The tunnels built for Memorial Park's Land Bridge are scheduled to open this spring to traffic.

Runners with the Chevron Houston Marathon will get a sneak peek this Sunday, January 16. Eyewitness News learned the south tunnel will be used as part of the race.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BigFootsSocks said:

I do remember you! You probably saw me hobbling along at that point in the race. Did something to my foot and could barely put weight on it but I finished! 

Wait, isn't that only like the halfway point? You could barely put weight on it for the next 10+ miles? I woulda gave up so fast. 

51 minutes ago, bobruss said:

This was posted above from Culture map, concerning the routing of the marathon through the tunnel

sorry, I guess I wasn't clear, I understood that part of it about the tunnels, but nothing was mentioned when the park area above the tunnels would be open. I think someone else already gave the answer though.

yes, it will be cool to drive through the park and not have to divert for the construction, but it will be cooler when I can park and walk over the land bridge.

2 hours ago, BigFootsSocks said:

I do remember you! You probably saw me hobbling along at that point in the race. Did something to my foot and could barely put weight on it but I finished! 

omg i saw a guy having trouble and asked if he was okay and saw lots of girls and guys struggling and just cheered them on! I gave out 3 boxes worth of kleenex over a matter or a couple to few hours! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gene said:

omg i saw a guy having trouble and asked if he was okay and saw lots of girls and guys struggling and just cheered them on! I gave out 3 boxes worth of kleenex over a matter or a couple to few hours! 

You and all the other supporters out there were our heroes. Couldn't have done it without yall cheering me on.

2 hours ago, freundb said:

Wait, isn't that only like the halfway point? You could barely put weight on it for the next 10+ miles? I woulda gave up so fast. 

It was right after Mile 14 but yeahhhh...really not the best decision. I could walk though and was able to run some after it but I basically walked the last 10-12 miles. It was my first marathon and I was too stubborn to give up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BigFootsSocks said:

You and all the other supporters out there were our heroes. Couldn't have done it without yall cheering me on.

It was right after Mile 14 but yeahhhh...really not the best decision. I could walk though and was able to run some after it but I basically walked the last 10-12 miles. It was my first marathon and I was too stubborn to give up.

Well congrats! I can barely run a mile. I'm just working up to a 5k so props to a full marathon. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BigFootsSocks said:

Well thank you...YOU are my hero for even doing it...AND finishing it!!! WOW! 🏅 so proud of you!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, elecpharm said:

ABC13 covered the marathon and has footage of runners in the new tunnels. The footage is at the 1:51:50 mark.

2022 Chevron Marathon

@BigFootsSocks If you spot yourself in the video let us know! Congratulations on finishing!

It's an amazing site however I feel that there will be morons who will want to be artistic on the inside of the tunnel. There are too many hard working people working on this fine project.

• Like 1