Memorial Park At 6501 Memorial Dr.

55 minutes ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

The sidewalk on one side is blocked halfway through the tunnel. spacer.png

My guess is some kind of barrier will be installed at some point soon.

Could be. It would have to be a gate with a mechanism that allows you to immediately open it from the inside only. That is really the only way to do it because if its an emergency sidewalk to clear out the tunnel in an emergency, therefore its a means of egress, then you can't put a barrier that doesn't allow for immediate exit. I'm wondering if this was city official mucking around after the fact because if this was truly only for emergency egress then they would have already put in the one way exit gate per plan and they wouldn't need the temporary barriers. Or it could have been contractor error. Maybe they skipped the submittal or the lead time on a gate took so long it would have impeded the deadline. Maybe it was the architect who forgot to include a gate as part of the design. Who knows. What I do know is that gate is begging to be hopped haha. Also what I know is that in about 4 weeks I'll be in Houston and I'm looking forward to driving through it. When that happens I'll take a closer look.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Luminare said:

I'm wondering if this was city official mucking around after the fact because if this was truly only for emergency egress then they would have already put in the one way exit gate per plan and they wouldn't need the temporary barriers. Or it could have been contractor error. 

or the priority is to get it up and going for cars, then to add permanent pedestrian deterrents to replace the sandwich boards saying to keep out.

although I'd guess smelly exhausts, and loud cars would be deterrent enough, but they probably need more.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, samagon said:

or the priority is to get it up and going for cars, then to add permanent pedestrian deterrents to replace the sandwich boards saying to keep out.

although I'd guess smelly exhausts, and loud cars would be deterrent enough, but they probably need more.

It appears there are no sidewalks or other paths leading to or from.  That will probably deter as well.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, hindesky said:

What are panels? I'm assuming concrete sections of roadway.

I believe you are correct. I drove thru there yesterday, and I noticed there are small sections of the roadway being replaced. I found it odd that some sections that appear perfect--not a crack, hole or patch--were being demo'd and replaced.

They're also putting up some curved concrete walls as entrances to the tunnels. Cool looking!

• Like 7

yes it really does look amazing! 

i am wondering if i missed a timeline on when they will reopen the "real" and new concrete pathway that connects the running center to the picnic loop... i see they have the new winding and super cool pathway ready to go it seems however they are still working on the whole south side of the tunnels creating a large grass area that goes up to the tunnel hills. It also has a large drainage? rock way "stream" like feature that runs through it. I have seen all the work going on as i ride my bike through the new rock/gravel/dirt pathway that you have to go on from the running center to the picnic loop. I know it is alot of work and so it takes time but just wondering when it is supposed to be done. 

Also wondering if they are planning to revamp the picnic loop? It may be in the plans that i missed, but i wish they would just go in and take all the mismatched and broken down picnic tables and replace them all on even concrete pads/surfaces and make it a nicer safer and more stable experience. 

thanks for reading that super long post btw haha  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I recently reread this article by our wonderful and own Mimi Swartz from the earlier days of planning for a lot of these investments--it really is a great "primary source" for the record book.

In re Memorial Park, there are some great anecdotes in there about not wanting to make the park "too nice."

Finally, in April 2015, the city council unanimously if begrudgingly approved Woltz’s stunning $220 million overhaul. Councilman Oliver Pennington was still worried. “We don’t want to make it too nice,” he warned.

How Houston Became the Model For Green Space in Cities (texasmonthly.com)

• Like 3

Memorial Park trail runners get a surprise as new section of Seymour Lieberman Trail opens

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/lifestyle/home-design/article/Seymour-Lieberman-Trail-17494262.php#photo-23021416

Theo White, a member of the grounds department at MPC, walks over one of the new bridges during the opening of a new section of the Seymour Lieberman Trail at Memorial Park on Friday, Oct. 7, 2022. The newest section diverts runners off of the sidewalk along Memorial Drive to a new, shaded trail with three pedestrian bridges.

Tim Scruggs, center, smiles with other members of the Memorial Park Conservancy grounds department during the opening of a new section of the Seymour Lieberman Trail at Memorial Park on Friday, Oct. 7, 2022. The newest section diverts runners off of the sidewalk along Memorial Drive to a new, shaded trail with three pedestrian bridges.

It was her birthday and she was walking, not running, but 45-year-old Tammy Holmes and her co-worker Tony Clomax were enjoying the new section of Memorial Park's Seymour Lieberman Trail, which opened Friday morning after about nine months of construction.

The third-of-a-mile section of trail was opened without a lot of advance fanfare, as park officials wanted the new route to be a happy morning surprise to those out for a walk or jog. This section routes walkers and joggers off of the noisy, exhaust-filled section of sidewalk that ran alongside Memorial Park.

MORE FROM DIANE COWEN: Nancy & Rich Kinder give $100 million to expand Buffalo Bayou Park eastward

Now, the experience is quiet, with a thick layer of crushed granite to protect runners' joints, new landscaping and three pedestrian bridges to carry runners over ravines. Instead of noise, heat and the loud whirr of cars passing by at 45 miles an hour, walkers and runners feel the cool shade of trees and, if they're able to glance off of the pass, will see shallow pools of water in ravines or the occasional glimpse of a fairway at the Memorial Park Golf Course.

One in a series of finished projects, this $4.2 million trail improvement is part of the 10-year master plan well underway at the 1,500-acre Memorial Park. This project, designed by landscape architect Lauren Griffith Associates — who also is responsible for the design of Discovery Green, Market Square Park and the McGovern Children's Zoo — was funded by an Uptown Development Authority TIRZ and accelerated by a $70 million gift given to the Memorial Park Conservancy in 2018.

Accelerated schedule

Work began on this new trail segment in January, exciting park staff and fans, since wok on this much-talked-about plan wasn't expected to begin until 2025, said Randy Odinet, vice president of capital projects and facilities at the Memorial Park Conservancy.

MORE FROM DIANE COWEN: New Houston Endowment HQ brings brings the city one step closer to new age of modern design

The new section of the nearly 3-mile Seymour Lieberman Trail is located between the new land bridge tunnels and the Eastern Glades, more projects in the master plan. The Eastern Glades were finished in two phases, and the land bridge tunnels opened to traffic earlier this year, while the seeding of the native prairie that will cover them is still a work in progress.

A new running complex with a 400-meter timing track and other amenities — including new restrooms and a cafe — is expected to finish early summer 2023. Then, a project called Memorial Grove, a more passive park area that will tell the story of the World War I camp that was once here, and then a new southern trail with a pedestrian bridge over Crestwood and the East Memorial Loop, will be tackled.

"We haven't stopped working on something since 2015," Odinet said of the ambitious plan. "(This trail work) is finished before it would have even started. The tree canopy will make a tremendous difference in how comfortable it is on a hot afternoon, getting away from car exhaust right on the roadway. Users will enjoy how pretty it is once they’re back in the trees."

The new sections of trail are 16 feet wide with a thick layer of crushed granite. The three pedestrian bridges range from 50 feet to 105 feet long and are made of reinforced concrete with steel posts and wood hand rails.

diane.cowen@chron.com

Edited by KirbyDriveKid
  • Like 9

yes, amazing to see that from above!!! thank you @cityliving !!!

those images are from awhile ago maybe (?) which if you look at the top image on the upper left of the green group of trees, that darker brown patch is where they have built the pier, so that must be the pond(?)... i am just speculating but dying to see this all finished...i know it is going to be incredible.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gene said:

yes, amazing to see that from above!!! thank you @cityliving !!!

those images are from awhile ago maybe (?) which if you look at the top image on the upper left of the green group of trees, that darker brown patch is where they have built the pier, so that must be the pond(?)... i am just speculating but dying to see this all finished...i know it is going to be incredible.

I took these photographs this past Saturday so they are recent images. 
I am looking forward to the project being finished to see what it will look like when all the landscaping, trails and other features are finished.

Edited by cityliving
  • Like 3