Memorial Park At 6501 Memorial Dr.

On 9/30/2022 at 8:35 AM, mattyt36 said:

I recently reread this article by our wonderful and own Mimi Swartz from the earlier days of planning for a lot of these investments--it really is a great "primary source" for the record book.

In re Memorial Park, there are some great anecdotes in there about not wanting to make the park "too nice."

Finally, in April 2015, the city council unanimously if begrudgingly approved Woltz’s stunning $220 million overhaul. Councilman Oliver Pennington was still worried. “We don’t want to make it too nice,” he warned.

How Houston Became the Model For Green Space in Cities (texasmonthly.com)

Incredibly selfish short-sighted comment by this Pennington person.  It's impossible to have anything "too nice" for Houston.  Thank you!

• Like 6

I looked on the master plan but couldn’t quite get a good idea for how the top of the land bridges are going to look. Those circular features on top of the bridges(with what appear to be soil going in)- are those going to be some sort of seating/gathering space? 

in any case, great shots, @cityliving! It’s hard to see all the progress on that area from street level. It’s great to see them from above!

• Like 4

15 hours ago, BEES?! said:

I looked on the master plan but couldn’t quite get a good idea for how the top of the land bridges are going to look. Those circular features on top of the bridges(with what appear to be soil going in)- are those going to be some sort of seating/gathering space? 

in any case, great shots, @cityliving! It’s hard to see all the progress on that area from street level. It’s great to see them from above!

I don't think we can rely upon the renderings of the master plan to gather any insight upon how they match the awesome photos @cityliving has captured.

the reality has clearly diverged from these. and I'm sure at the time they were simply just what an artist put together based upon what they read, or were told, and the people who were in charge of the project saw the renderings and said "yes, that's what we want to show the people so they get an idea of what it may look like, let's put them in the master plan so people will donate money"

it's very clear that they are not city approved blueprints that must be followed 100%.

page 106 is a perfect example when compared against the photos:

https://issuu.com/memorialparkhouston/docs/mph_mpbook_final_small_webversion_a_c7f9e7eed3d03c

image.png.63b067484f3774272fa7122af3b93d48.png

a few things stand out in that image vs the photo from above by cityliving, the western land bridge is shorter in reality, and the EB and WB lanes do not diverge before exiting the tunnel.

the paths are clearly different from the rendition, improved I would say, there's no 'creek' in the rendition either, so that's a plus that didn't exist. anyway, it would be really cool if cityliving could mimic the location of the rendition for one of his shots so we can play compare the differences.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 5

upon passing the pier last night i noticed that thing is super raised from the ground...which means the water level is either going to be high or this isn't a pier but just some kind of raised platform which would be odd...

could it be that it is mostly water that makes up the south side of the land bridge? I am so confused haha! 

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

@samagon I think you make some very good points. Reading over the plan, there are obviously differences too with the Eastern Glades versus what the final product was. 

In any case I am very interested to see how it progresses! They did such an amazing job with the Eastern Glades that I can’t wait to see the new phases of the park! That land bridge is gonna be so cool

• Like 6

i don't know if sterilized is the right term but i do want the parks as nice as possible...and i think we began to get that when Eastern Glades was created.... now with these new elements we are on our way to becoming one of the best city parks in the country! In fact i hope they go into the existing picnic loop and redo that to make it nicer. They could start with doing all new LEVELED cement pads for every picnic table set up...and hopefully get rid of all the broken down ones and maybe all new matching ones to help my slight ocd 🙃

• Like 6

haha i understand that...but yes they are keeping all the back trails like behind the running center etc and (for now) the picnic loop to keep that woodsy feel... i like having the best of both worlds nice manicured parks and amenities and then untamed woods/forests....so lets hope they keep some of that feel... on the outskirts anyway...

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

there was a really great episode of Houston Newsmakers this past weekend on NBC/Channel 2 that gave an update and tour of all the new projects...and guess what...that "pier" i wrote about it is actually a "prairie viewing platform"(?!?!)...haha...i think in severe rain/flooding situations it may act as a pier...but nope, it's apparently just to better see the expanse of the prairie they have created.

interesting...

anyway, the episode was super informative with all kinds of fun facts and behind the scenes looks at what is to come.

anyway...the HUGE Grand Opening Weekend for all the new additions is Dec 10th and 11th and they plan to have tons of events etc that weekend. watch this site below for details as they are announced:

https://www.memorialparkconservancy.org/

and this is the Houston Newsmakers article with excerpts from the episode: 

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2022/11/28/houston-newsmakers-memorial-park-land-bridge-set-to-open-to-the-public-after-years-of-construction/

can't wait! 

Edited by gene
  • Like 8

17 hours ago, gene said:

there was a really great episode of Houston Newsmakers this past weekend on NBC/Channel 2 that gave an update and tour of all the new projects...and guess what...that "pier" i wrote about it is actually a "prairie viewing platform"(?!?!)...haha...i think in severe rain/flooding situations it may act as a pier...but nope, it's apparently just to better see the expanse of the prairie they have created.

interesting...

anyway, the episode was super informative with all kinds of fun facts and behind the scenes looks at what is to come.

anyway...the HUGE Grand Opening Weekend for all the new additions is Dec 10th and 11th and they plan to have tons of events etc that weekend. watch this site below for details as they are announced:

https://www.memorialparkconservancy.org/

and this is the Houston Newsmakers article with excerpts from the episode: 

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2022/11/28/houston-newsmakers-memorial-park-land-bridge-set-to-open-to-the-public-after-years-of-construction/

can't wait! 

Some of those subdivisions on the far west side near and beyond Katy seem to have their own "prairie viewing platforms" (or are they "artificial pond viewing platforms"?). The one recent example is John Paul Landing Park, which is a cross-shaped thing jutting out into a man-made lagoon. Soon everyone will want one...

• Like 3

On 10/19/2022 at 3:55 PM, BeerNut said:

I guess what I'm trying to say.... Herman park is my usual go to park and it's nice with lots of amenities and programming. I've always thought of Memorial as the wooded micro version of Sam Houston inside of the city.

If anything, its more vibrant from a plant perspective now than 10 years ago. That area @Skyboxdweller pointed out, the outdoor rooms, is just incredible right now with plants as tall as an adult. You just gotta hope the magic makes its way over to the project going on in Herman park. 

Plus, the other side of the park on the Arboretum side is still as aggressively woody as you'd expect. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, X.R. said:

Plus, the other side of the park on the Arboretum side is still as aggressively woody as you'd expect. 

bit of a tip on the arboretum if you have been a long time visitor. the parking is no longer free.

if you have been going forever you don't know to look for the signs you might not even notice them. it doesn't help that they are pretty poorly spaced so if you park in the right (or wrong) spot, you may not even see that there is an expectation to pay.

but yeah, they have pay by phone signs up and they are spaced about every 5th parking spot.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, urbanize713 said:

"A spokesperson for the Memorial Park Conservancy said it “does not have any meaningful details to share” beyond the brief statement it released."

If this is being build with tax dollars, then the spokesperson better open up his mouth and start talking. 

12 minutes ago, bobruss said:

70 million was donated by the Kinders so relax.  Most of the funds were donated. The weather caused delays, and this has been moving at breakneck speed.

In that case, they can do what they want — Mostly, since it is still public land.  But the silence is still not a good look.

9 minutes ago, Avossos said:

Off with their heads!!

Indeed.  Considering the general apathy and lack of accountability that afflicts and enables Houston (and Texas') elected officials, public servants, and quangos, a few examples should be set. 

Unfortunately, everyone decided that they'd rather get free headlines online, rather than pay for real news, so the few entities that can still hold anyone accountable don't have the time, money, or resources to do so.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steve1363 said:

There should be more outrage over the Astrodome just sitting there than a few months delay of a walking trail opening.  Besides it will allow more time for the prairie to fill in.

If someone had some dynamite to just blow it up, that would be nice.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2022 at 7:35 PM, steve1363 said:

There should be more outrage over the Astrodome just sitting there than a few months delay of a walking trail opening.  Besides it will allow more time for the prairie to fill in.

Thanks to the internet, there's more than enough outrage for both!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...