Memorial Park At 6501 Memorial Dr.

Walked both land bridges today. From what I can best tell, the west bridge will allow for cyclists and the east bridge will be strictly pedestrians.

A few reasons why:

• The east bridge zig zags up both sides of the hill  and has the stone/step path leading to the strictly pedestrian Seymour Lieberman running trail. (around the golf course) 
  • The west bridge is one flowing continuous path (vs zig zagging) 
  • The west bridge seems to have better path lighting which would make sense for mixed use 
  • The west bridge gives you access to the street vs just the Seymour Lieberman running trail
  • Most obvious, there were sign banning bikes on the east bridge and not on the west bride 
  • Like 8

28 minutes ago, urbanize713 said:

Walked both land bridges today. From what I can best tell, the west bridge will allow for cyclists and the east bridge will be strictly pedestrians.

A few reasons why:

• The east bridge zig zags up both sides of the hill  and has the stone/step path leading to the strictly pedestrian Seymour Lieberman running trail. (around the golf course) 
  • The west bridge is one flowing continuous path (vs zig zagging) 
  • The west bridge seems to have better path lighting which would make sense for mixed use 
  • The west bridge gives you access to the street vs just the Seymour Lieberman running trail
  • Most obvious, there were sign banning bikes on the east bridge and not on the west bride 

Good to hear about the west bridge! But they still need a northside commuter path.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, samagon said:

pardon my skepticism, but the Buffalo Bayou Boardwalk will never happen, rich man is not going to let people walk in their backyard (whether it's actually their backyard or not).

I think it could happen on the north bank but yes, no way it will happen on the south bank of Buffalo Bayou.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

I think it could happen on the north bank but yes, no way it will happen on the south bank of Buffalo Bayou.

Well, yes.  Anything on the south bank is highly unlikely since it's privately-owned land.  Is there actually a proposal for a boardwalk along the bayou?  It does not seem to be in Memorial Park's master plan.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2020 at 3:13 PM, HOUCAJUN said:

I'm not a golf watcher but im enjoying the Houston Open. The shots of the Skylines are amazing! Memorial Park is shaping up to be a go-to destination.

Memorial Park will be home to the Houston Open at least until 2028.  The tournament dates have been moved to the Spring in 2024 but there are conflicting reports of whether it will be a PGA designated tour event or not.  Channel 11 reports that it will.  Mark Berman says it will not.  I'd put my money on Mark Berman.

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, steve1363 said:

Memorial Park will be home to the Houston Open at least until 2028.  The tournament dates have been moved to the Spring in 2024 but there are conflicting reports of whether it will be a PGA designated tour event or not.  Channel 11 reports that it will.  Mark Berman says it will not.  I'd put my money on Mark Berman.

Yeah, from the clip on Berman's twitter feed, it seems pretty clear it is not a "designated event".  I wasn't caught up on this new PGA lingo.  Being nondesignated only means it is not one of the "designated" events at which all the best players are required to play.  It looks like there will be 16 "designated" events next year, out of about 47 PGA tour events.  To be clear, the Houston Open will be a PGA Tour golf tournament.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 8

The Houston Open is usually the weekend before The Masters tournament, so the top notch golfers take the week off to rest up for The Masters.
I need to get the clubs out and smack some balls around... I haven't played since my trip to England in 2016 when we played at former Judas Priest guitarist KK Downing's course

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Memorial Park At 6501 Memorial Dr.
  • 2 months later...

https://metropolismag.com/projects/the-rebirth-of-houstons-giant-but-ailing-memorial-park/

"Woltz knew things were heading in the right direction when he climbed on top of the land bridge, just topped out, and saw a slew of animal footprints in the mud. “To watch it come alive was an incredible moment,” he says."

Memorial-Park-Kinder-Land-Bridge-Facing-

Memorial-Park-Kinder-Land-Bridge-Mound-C

DJI_0954-credit-Nick-Hubbard2-1536x843.j

I9A0108-credit-Nick-Hubbard.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

dear lord that is THE best news ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that small barbie sized sidewalk on portions of Memorial are a freaking hazard with pedestrians and bikes and pets and bushes all sharing it!!! 

this is great news....bring it!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • The topic was pinned
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The topic was unpinned
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2022 at 6:15 PM, hindesky said:

On 6/22/2022 at 7:57 AM, Paco Jones said:

Project:

Memorial Park Running Complex - Cafe

Architect:

Schaum/Shieh

Information:

3,100 S.F. cafe/concessions building.  Approx. 2,000 S.F. interior and 1,000 S.F. exterior covered patio area.

spacer.png

On 11/3/2023 at 9:46 AM, Amlaham said:

The running complex also compromises of an event space, viewing deck, and more trials! A cafe is also planned near the complex that will open in early 2024.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/city-life/memorial-park-houston-running-complex/

image.png.3249c769fd5be9bb503e276410744a10.png

According to sign permits filed yesterday, the cafe opening at the Memorial Park Running Complex is Vibrant. I think this is the same health-forward restaurant located at 1931 Fairview St in Montrose.

Vibrant's address is listed as 7575 N Picnic Lane, Building B.

The following permits were filed yesterday:

• Sign plan review
  • Sign site inspections

Details from the permit:

• Use: New wall 10x4 Vibrant / New projecting 3x3 Vibrant

• FCC Group: On premise; new sign; wall; internal light / On premise; new sign; projecting; internal light

hjISmu4.png

qHxYDal.png

p21G3aX.png

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/16/2023 at 1:43 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

According to sign permits filed yesterday, the cafe opening at the Memorial Park Running Complex is Vibrant. I think this is the same health-forward restaurant located at 1931 Fairview St in Montrose.

Vibrant's address is listed as 7575 N Picnic Lane, Building B.

Additional sign permits were filed yesterday for 7575 N Picnic Lane, Building B:

• Signs electrical installation permit
  • Sign construction
  • Sign operating

As previously posted, Vibrant is the cafe planned for this address. The restaurant is located in the Memorial Park Running Complex.

Signs electrical installation permits

tsiD52i.png

JfY6MDI.png

Sign construction permits

2xqup4Y.png

4pM8toe.png

Sign operating permits

ACkPV8L.png

UhEqmDM.png

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Uh huh

I wish that would extend to public swimming pools. I've written a few council members about opening up the pool at multiservice center one day a week to the neighborhood for a slight fee. All-- really all, of Montrose is a public pool desert.

• Like 4

Professional photo shoots should be regulated (as they already are).  The bigger issue is the public having to pay for parking (e.g., Houston Arboretum).  It’s not an issue for me but I can understand it being an issue for others.

• Like 1

Congrats on 100 years Memorial Park! I shall be there! 

Memorial Park Conservancy is thrilled to celebrate the Park’s Centennial in 2024, complete with a Texas-sized birthday party on Saturday, March 9! For the second year in a row, Memorial Park Conservancy is hosting the Biggest Picnic in Texas, except this year, it’s the Biggest Picnic in Texas: 100th Birthday Edition! Presented by Chevron, this year’s event will feature picnic festivities, entertainment, food and drinks, treats from our friends at H-E-B and so much more!

Join us on March 9 from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. for a giant-sized celebration and wish the Park ‘Happy Birthday’ at this hugely popular family-friendly event! Free shuttle service will be provided from all Memorial Park parking lots to the event area.

Stay tuned as we announce further details! https://www.memorialparkconservancy.org/visit/centennial-celebration/biggest-picnic-in-texas/

Memorial Park hosts "The Biggest Picnic in Texas: 100th Birthday Edition"  March 9 | Community | theleadernews.com

Edited by gene
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1