Memorial Park At 6501 Memorial Dr.

The people standing in that pic gives it great perspective. Also, I thought for something of this size it would take years, but they are MOVING. If the endcaps are already on site as they said on reddit, the slowdown in traffic must be helping this along, right?

A person working on the project on reddit said they've already brought in the end caps and someone else mentioned "Yeah our company installed the arches we finished the longer sections last week so it’s these two that are 280’ long and I think the longer sections are 420’ long"

I checked memorial's page about this, I didn't see actual mention of the length of the tunnels, but that is massive. Just short of the length of two football fields. And yeah, that digging is for the creek that @Tritonmentioned: land06.jpg

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

One reason it’s going so fast is that the Kinders gave a $70 million donation specifically to speed up the development.  

hopefully the people who get worked super hard at Kinder Morgan can sleep better at night knowing their hard work is helping the Kinder's philanthropize. 

not to be taken the wrong way, I'm glad they're giving to the community, but I've known too many people that work for KM and the message from them is always pretty consistent about the culture there. I always try to remember that when I see them giving so much.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Just from looking at the Master Plan, I'm pretty sure that is not the case.  

Maybe the digging is for drainage?

It's for drainage.

The one theory I have for why they split the tunnels into two is that federal regulation probably has some rules when it comes to tunnel length and the requirement to build a ventilation system to take out vehicle exhaust. The price tag probably would have risen substantially if they made one long tunnel with those requirements as opposed to two smaller tunnels. On top of that, you probably also would have been required to build emergency exits every-so-often. Again, that's just a theory I have.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Triton said:

It's for drainage.

The one theory I have for why they split the tunnels into two is that federal regulation probably has some rules when it comes to tunnel length and the requirement to build a ventilation system to take out vehicle exhaust. The price tag probably would have risen substantially if they made one long tunnel with those requirements as opposed to two smaller tunnels. On top of that, you probably also would have been required to build emergency exits every-so-often. Again, that's just a theory I have.

I think you are correct on the ventilation aspect.  I recall reading about such ventilation requirements regarding the below-grade segments in NHHIP. If a "tunnel" is more than x' feet long mechanical ventilation is required.

Found this:  

NFPA [National Fire Protection Association] 502 does not mandate that mechanical ventilation be provided in tunnels less than 1000 m (3280 ft.) long, but does require an engineering analysis be performed. Historically, for short tunnels, common practice is that they are not mechanically ventilated. However, societal awareness about the serious nature of fires in road tunnels, coupled with the development of NFPA 502, has led to a need to demonstrate quantitatively whether mechanical ventilation is needed. NFPA 502 states that emergency ventilation shall not be required in tunnels less than 3280 feet in length, where it can be shown by an engineering analysis that the level of safety provided by a mechanical ventilation system is equaled or exceeded by enhancing the means of egress or the use of natural ventilation

• Like 5

Great photos @hindesky and yep i went for an early morning pre easter brunch bike ride and so fun to see all the activity at the park and loop! 

and heck yes, this tunnel progress is so darn impressive and is looking amazing! cannot wait to see it finished! 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, thatguysly said:

Are they building a bridge over the water feature between the tunnels or will it be a culvert system? The rendering make me think culvert but that doesn't seem as hospitable to the ecosystem.

We only support land animals, not water ones.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

that new crushed gravel path for foot and bike traffic that replaces the old picnic lane road is super fun to ride on with it's curves and "in the middle of the woods" feel! 

It does kinda go a bit out of the way if you are in a hurry to get home like i was the other night haha...but yep it's awesome! 

• Like 7

Went by this weekend, and its crazy to think this is actually happening and how quickly its moving. Like, every other week it seems they are making visible, substantial progress.

Are they going to put fences up or something on the sides of the land bridges? You know people are gonna accidentally let go of a dog, or someone is going to kick a ball real hard, or throw a disc too high and its going to go over. I was wondering that once I saw the height of the land bridge. 

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 7

edit: oh i see what you mean...some kind of fence at the edge of the bridge where it ends over the road/tunnel entrance...heck yeah, they better! I can just see exactly what you are saying happening! 

From what i knew the land bridges are open to everyone to cross and even have picnics on as i remember somewhere they spoke about how from the top of the land bridge you would be able to have great views of both downtown and uptown...

Edited by gene
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Naviguessor said:

I've decided to believe that this is being designed by professionals who know what they are doing, know how to spot risks and know how to mitigate them.  It's the same people who decided not to populate the Eastern Glades lake with Crocodiles and chose crushed granite rather than crushed glass for the running trails.  

But remember, those same people have opted out of using kangaroos, elephants and koala bears!!!! How fun would that have been!!!???!!!??? so don't give them tooOoOoOooOOoo much credit...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wilcal said:

The land bridge I saw, I believe in Alberta, which is used exclusively by animals still had a fence on it I believe. Basically, I would count on a fence. 

So... you think you saw a land bridge and you think it might have been in Alberta and you think it might have had a fence?   Good to know.   🙄

https://www.canadiangeographic.ca/article/banffs-famed-wildlife-overpasses-turn-20-world-looks-canada-conservation-inspiration

The fencing (on both the bridges and the entire roadway) in Alberta, is there to eliminate deadly collisions between vehicles and wildlife (deadly for wildlife as well as humans).  Pretty different situation from the bridges being built in Memorial Park

My best guess is:  No fencing.  

I don't recall this video being posted here.  

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

So... you think you saw a land bridge and you think it might have been in Alberta and you think it might have had a fence?   Good to know.   🙄

https://www.canadiangeographic.ca/article/banffs-famed-wildlife-overpasses-turn-20-world-looks-canada-conservation-inspiration

The fencing (on both the bridges and the entire roadway) in Alberta, is there to eliminate deadly collisions between vehicles and wildlife (deadly for wildlife as well as humans).  Pretty different situation from the bridges being built in Memorial Park

My best guess is:  No fencing.  

I don't recall this video being posted here.  

Hey, you found the exact bridge I remembered and it was exactly the way I thought it was. Nice work!

Memorial Park has mentioned that the land bridge is designed to be used by animals to avoid having to cross Memorial Drive. 

I'll argue that I'm guessing a certain % of Memorial Park users are dumber than the average wildlife.

That video shows it with a raised concrete edge at some points and a flush edge at others. 

Edited by wilcal