Aspire Post Oak: Multifamily High-Rise At 1616 Post Oak Blvd.

Mab

53 minutes ago, ZRFkris said:

Arabella was such a let down, this project has redeemed the residential high rise in uptown. Arabella is still cool but more of a what if. 

Sand storm looks wild in this photo.

I think Arabella would be a completely different tower if it wasn't painted white. Right now the contrast between the white and the glass is too jarring and makes the tower look unfinished/cheap. I think it'd be a real plus if it was painted a darker grey/blue mix.

• Like 4

the Arabella used to bother me because i couldn't figure out any pattern or logic to the thing haha...however now that time has passed i have really grown to like it ALOT...it feels very Miami Beach and i am okay with that for some kooky reason

and one note on the Aspire- on the 2 large white panels on each floor facing san felipe but near the corner Post Oak intersection, the right hand panel has the floor number in red printed on it, which i thought was cool just because it's fun to see the number of stories where they are at without having to sit there and try to count at a traffic light (or speeding by on a bike) haha!

Edited by gene
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

Yeah I don't really get the hate on the Arabella - I think it turned out pretty good. I honestly wonder what people would think of it if they had never seen the earlier renderings.

Same here, I really have grown to like it and it's large presence in the skyline of the West Loop area.  And, the suggestion of replacing the color scheme with blue and grey is just gross and way too "cowboys" for my tastes.  This is Houston, we do things a little differently here and don't usually follow the herd mentality.  This new 39 story development will definitely be welcome too and will add to an already amazing Galleria Area/Uptown skyline that is very unique in the U.S. in terms of giant cities like Houston in terms of both number of people AND in shear land size of the city and the area.  Yes, indeed another reason to get excited about being IMHO the best city in America.  No limits.

• Like 9

I think the building turned out well, but the podium is the focal point for the criticism. Glad it's going to be Cosmo'd, but kinda wish the Bowen was a mid rise so Arabella would stand out from all angles looking somewhat east. I liked the original renderings more, but I guess it's my fault that I don't have enough money to sculpt the world to my liking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I don’t hate the Arabella. I loved the initial renderings and think that the finished product has some ok features and some crap features. It isn’t bad overall but it is also far from good.  I had hopes that it could be a beautiful building but then I remembered that Randall Davis was building it and it’s about as good as we could have hoped for from him.

Edited by kbates2
  • Like 1

From some angles, it kind of looks like it was hit by a tornado. The white stucco doesn't work for me. I think the only thing that might work is something darker and less contrasty to the glass. Some kind of reflective silver/chrome/nickel or something shiny might work. Maybe not. I think they should just keep painting it new colors every week until they figure out how to make it less silly looking and more artsy fartsy as it was originally intended. If they had just kept whats going on on the top 3 floors all the way to the ground it would have looked high end. What they have looks kind of like K-Mart sushi.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, West Timer said:

From some angles, it kind of looks like it was hit by a tornado. The white stucco doesn't work for me. I think the only thing that might work is something darker and less contrasty to the glass. Some kind of reflective silver/chrome/nickel or something shiny might work. Maybe not. I think they should just keep painting it new colors every week until they figure out how to make it less silly looking and more artsy fartsy as it was originally intended. If they had just kept whats going on on the top 3 floors all the way to the ground it would have looked high end. What they have looks kind of like K-Mart sushi.

I'ma long time reader of HAIF but a first time contributor... I appreciate that Randall Davis tried go outside his comfort zone by attempting a building with a cool design in The Arabella, but what we ended up with missed the mark by a long shot. He didn't have the funds (nor the guts?) to follow through. Now instead of being merely boring, this building is aggressively ugly cuz it stands out. For me, it's right there with The Mercer Condo and 'the Pineapple building.'

West Timer hit the nail on the head: It looks like a tornado (or hurricane) hit it and they just decided to stucco white over the boarded up windows... I keep thinking of Chase Tower in the aftermath of Ike.

ChaseTower.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, monarch said:

number-10-clipart-k6nk4z6.svg

^^^ look's about like ^^^ more floors to go baby.  what a remarkable fete!

Was there a big party or something? Or did you mean "feat"😃. Another awesome misspelling creating unintended humor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Ross said:

Was there a big party or something? Or did you mean "feat"😃. Another awesome misspelling creating unintended humor.

fête
/fāt/

noun

1. NORTH AMERICAN
    a celebration or festival.
    •  

verb

1. honor or entertain (someone) lavishly.
    "she was an instant celebrity, feted by the media"

Screen_Shot_2018-11-07_at_16.19.27_320x2
    ^^^ @Ross  sorry, charlie brown.  the "fete" was meant EXACTLY as i spelled it... as a CELEBRATION!  that's the reason for the CROWN on top of the number 10.  good grief charlie brown...
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

fyi: they are working on floor 29 so that means just 10 more to go! 

:)

(edit to say: funny i noticed that Monarch wasn't rating the building a 10 which i thought he was doing, but also saying 10 floors left haha!) 

;)

Edited by gene
  • Like 9