One Market Square: Proposed Office Tower For Block 43 - 800 Preston St.

lockmat

Judge gives temporary protection in downtown tunnel case

A judge has ruled that the tunnel corridor between the former Houston Chronicle building and a neighboring property cannot be destroyed during any demolition or construction at the site.

The temporary injunction is the latest development in a legal dispute between the property owners over access to downtown's vital tunnel system.

State District Judge Wesley Ward last month granted temporary protection for the tunnel corridor, at least until the matter is settled at trial in January. Theater Square would be responsible for any protective costs in the interim. Earlier this month, the group posted a $468,000 bond for that purpose.

The order requires Hines to keep Theater Square apprised of its construction plans and give at least 10 days to raise objections to any specific work. After protective work is performed, Theater Square would have to reimburse Hines within 20 days.

According to court documents, the temporary injunction, "is not intended to prohibit Block 58 (Hines) from designing and constructing a new building on the Chronicle tract."

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

From

3 hours ago, Nate99 said:

Southern half of the surface lot is taped off. Looks like scraping may commence soon.   This was on the Travis side sidewalk.

3590bys.jpg

Hmmmm... between this and Aris, using Travis to get to Market Square from the south on foot looks to be pretty much a non starter for a while.

I don't know if it's the same spot but I saw the same thing a few weeks ago and all they did was cut out a very small section of the parking lot leading me to think it would just be a storage area.

check that. Just saw you posted that 5 hours ago. Did you see the boundaries of the line?

Edited by lockmat

12 hours ago, lockmat said:

I don't know if it's the same spot but I saw the same thing a few weeks ago and all they did was cut out a very small section of the parking lot leading me to think it would just be a storage area.

check that. Just saw you posted that 5 hours ago. Did you see the boundaries of the line?

I don't really recall. They moved the pay kiosk for the surface lot and had some new signage directing parkers to it, so in addition to half the lot being taped off, it looked like they were re-aligning for some kind of semi-permanent change.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...